+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Give TSMC A Trial Production of A6X Chip As Apple Cuts Ties With Samsung

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

Default Apple to Give TSMC A Trial Production of A6X Chip As Apple Cuts Ties With Samsung

The bitter rivalry between Apple and Samsung has led to a lot of legal issues between the companies and a lot of disagreements have led to Apple looking to move their chip-making away from Samsung for mobile devices. Samsung has also stopped making batteries for Apple's devices.

Since this possible move, questions asking where Apple would go as an alternative to Samsung for chip-making have popped up and speculation hasn't been shy. Apple’s iOS devices are extremely popular around the world and the demand for the mobile chips that power these devices is no lower than the demand for the devices themselves. That being said, Apple does need to choose someone that they can depend on to have the output Apple needs.

Apple is reportedly ready to give TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.) a trial production period of the A6X chip that powers the latest iPad. The trial production period would allow for Apple to see how reliable TSMC is as a chip-maker and if they can produce what the Cupertino-based company needs. If all goes well, TSMC might be behind future chips, as well.

Apple’s A6X chip delivers twice the processing performance of the A5X chip that debuted in the third-generation iPad and it even out-paces the iPhone 5's A6 chip.

Sources: 9to5Mac

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I hope it goes badly and Apple have to make up with Samsung for everyone's sanity

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    I hope it goes badly and Apple have to make up with Samsung for everyone's sanity
    Is there actually any sense contained in your post?

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    Is there actually any sense contained in your post?
    Im lookin but nope. I cant find any. No sense like exact change

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

How bout they release a new phone instead of a new processor

Banned
    Thanks

I agree with you. Apple are the a-holes in the Apple vs Samsung fight.
    They NEED Samsung but they sue them? What it looks like to me is they want Samsungs devices (CPU, Memory, RAM, screen etc) but they dont want to pay for them. They pay then sue so they get their money back. NOT the way to do business.

By the look of the iPhone 5 and IOS6 it looks like Apple are doing everything wrong. I'm betting IOS7 and the iPhone 6 will both be flops and Apple will come crying back to Samsung but they wont sell them anything for what they've done to them in the past and currently.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StanSmith View Post
    They NEED Samsung but they sue them? What it looks like to me is they want Samsungs devices (CPU, Memory, RAM, screen etc) but they dont want to pay for them. They pay then sue so they get their money back. NOT the way to do business.

By the look of the iPhone 5 and IOS6 it looks like Apple are doing everything wrong. I'm betting IOS7 and the iPhone 6 will both be flops and Apple will come crying back to Samsung but they wont sell them anything for what they've done to them in the past and currently.
    If Samsung was clearly the one ahead, wouldn't they have told apple goodbye and they would stop making stuff for them? Samsung needs Apples money. If they didn't they wouldn't keep working for Apple and they'd stop producing for them whether Apple wanted them to or not. Samsungs working for Apple, not the other way around.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Apply will be victorious without Samsung business survive all the time they surly have made a lot of money together but all good things must come to a end it is a new year and a new outlook .

Happy new year to all my Apple fans I can not wait to see what they have in store for us.

Banned
    Thanks

It probably will, they've had display issues when they tried to leave Sammy ad had to come crawling back--then Samsung jacked up the prices on them.

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish you'd stop taking sides and realize that the only people who are losing is the consumers... All these law suits and patents are censoring innovation ( I'm not really sure whether what i just said makes sense :/ )

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You guys need to realize samsung needs apples business just as much, they are making at least millions off apple by producing because for every single product made samsung is making parts and if they lose the iphone,ipad,ipad mini and ipod(s) they will have lost a considerable amount of business. Im almost certain they already have no part in the imac and macbooks

Thanks

Default Samsung bit the hand that fed them!

Memory is a commodity Apple can easily get elsewhere, and the CPU is Apple's proprietary design and only manufactured by Samsung, soon to be manufactured by TSMC and possibly Intel. Apple is already sourcing screens from Sharp and others so it's not like Apple "want(s)" or even NEEDS Samsung's devices (parts). The only remaining issues are quantity and quality of the parts sourcing. Samsung is going to be the big loser here, not Apple. Samsung is going to have to start copying Apple's products without the benefit of advance internal design specs and without Apple's financing.