+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Concept Gives the iOS 6 Share Widget Even More Practical Functionality

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
iOS 5 may have included Twitter integration for the first time, however it wasn’t until iOS 6, when iOS adopted Facebook integration, as well as Twitter integration, that iOS received
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Concept Gives the iOS 6 Share Widget Even More Practical Functionality

iOS 5 may have included Twitter integration for the first time, however it wasn’t until iOS 6, when iOS adopted Facebook integration, as well as Twitter integration, that iOS received share widgets for Notification Center.

A new iOS concept by UI/UX designer Joshua Tucker adds additional buttons to the Share Widget in Notification Center, making it a much more centralized area for handling information. The concept adds more options, in addition to the existing Facebook and Twitter buttons, for sending an SMS/iMessage, creating a Calendar Event, and setting a Reminder for yourself.

Since the concept uses icons instead of text to declare what the buttons are for, the “Tap to Tweet” and “Tap to Post” text strings have disappeared from the interface to make the widget as simple as possible.

Upon tapping any of the new buttons, the Messages share sheet would resemble the Messages application, the Calendar share sheet would resemble the Calendar application, and the Reminders share sheet would resemble the Reminders application – this would be in tune with the way the Facebook and Twitter share sheets resemble the colors of those applications.

The share sheet for the calendar event, for example, would include all of the features you would expect for setting a basic calendar event. You can name it, choose a location, a time frame, and choose an alert. Afterwards, you’ll be able to tap on the done button to save your new calendar event or the cancel button to cancel all input. If you save it, it will show up in the Calendar application as you would expect.

For users that feel certain features of the share widget were more important than others, preferences would be available for users to enable and disable certain buttons on the share widget. This would make it so that the user's Notification Center would not be cluttered by unused buttons.

The idea behind the concept is not to outright replace the applications they correspond to, but rather to make them more universally accessible. This ability to access it from anywhere helps make scheduling events and reminders, as well as sending messages faster and less obtrusive. Tucker explains that having this quick access to tools makes it easier to be efficient in our daily lives:

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker
    Based on my own personal experience, having the ability to quickly add something important like a calendar event in a more efficient way helps me to be more organized, responsible, and productive. Based on human nature, I believe it's the same for everyone.
    Josh has plans to work with a developer in the jailbreak community to make this concept into an actual jailbreak tweak to be released in Cydia, however he has not yet gotten together with any developers to work on the project.

Sources: Dribbble (1), (2) via Joshua Tucker
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-31-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is exactly what I've been waiting for from Apple! Especially the SMS/iMessage integration. I can't figure out why apple hasn't taken its cues from the jailbreak community, as far as implementing a way to respond to or compose a message without having to exit the app I'm using to enter the messages app! Android has been able to do this for some time! Catch up Apple! You can find exactly what features we want in our iPhones just by following the jb community! If they'd give us these things there would be no need for jailbreaking by the average person[.] I love my iPhone 5, but it'd be perfect if I could have this tweak, activator & SBSettings! I probably would have no NEED to jb, although I still would for purposes of device control, not piracy. Give us these simple features and you won't have to fight us so hard, Apple!
    Last edited by Orby; 12-31-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Stay on topic, please.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iSteveO View Post
    This is exactly what I've been waiting for from Apple! Especially the SMS/iMessage integration. I can't figure out why apple hasn't taken its cues from the jailbreak community, as far as implementing a way to respond to or compose a message without having to exit the app I'm using to enter the messages app! Android has been able to do this for some time! Catch up Apple! You can find exactly what features we want in our iPhones just by following the jb community! If they'd give us these things there would be no need for jailbreaking by the average person[.] I love my iPhone 5, but it'd be perfect if I could have this tweak, activator & SBSettings! I probably would have no NEED to jb, although I still would for purposes of device control, not piracy. Give us these simple features and you won't have to fight us so hard, Apple!
    I agree but then there would really be no point to JailBreaking.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

Good to see Joshua Tuckers name still floating around.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    You are exactly correct for about 99% of jailbreakers, but there is much more benefit with jailbreaking than just a few tweaks for people who really dig into iOS. Apple should put their collective ear to the street to see what we really want, and implement these features. That's the proper way for Apple to combat jailbreaking; rather than the constant cat and mouse game, make jailbreaking unnecessary for this 99% of people. Now that the major known safe haven for piracy is gone a lot of people won't care about jailbreaks any longer and apple would have less of an issue with it. We do all of the r&d and testing of these tweaks with Cydia, all apple has to do is steal and implement once perfected.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Wouldn't that be what we all want?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,441 Times in 4,286 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iSteveO View Post
    Now that the major known safe haven for piracy is gone a lot of people won't care about jailbreaks any longer and apple would have less of an issue with it. We do all of the r&d and testing of these tweaks with Cydia, all apple has to do is steal and implement once perfected.
    Are you implying Apple is behind the shut down of mod edit ? To what end that would benefit them?
    Last edited by 2k1; 12-31-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Wouldn't that be what we all want?
    Exactly, give us what we want and stay on top of the game Apple.
    It sucks having to wait for a jailbreak just to be able to do the things that others phones have been doing for awhile!

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Are you implying Apple is behind the shut down of Mod edit ? To what end that would benefit them?
    Maybe? Why not? We don't know what goes on behind the scenes and obviously since the ip4, it is becoming harder and harder to find a jailbreak
    Last edited by 2k1; 12-31-2012 at 09:28 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Saved0ne's Avatar
    Thanks

This would be amazing. no joke.

Thanks

But isn't that what Apple wants?

Thanks

useless unless there is jailbroken iOS6 for iPad4/mini/iPhone5

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sknet View Post
    And for those with jailbroken iOS 6 A4 devices?

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sknet View Post
    and iPhone 4S on iOS 6.0