Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Always On Proximity' Allows You to Enable or Disable Your Proximity Sensor On Demand

Default 'Always On Proximity' Allows You to Enable or Disable Your Proximity Sensor On Demand

The proximity sensor is the part of your iPhone near the front-facing camera that allows the device to detect when something is in close proximity or not. For example, when you get into a phone call, the proximity sensor kicks in to turn the display off when you raise your iPhone to your ear.

iOS developer flux finds that the proximity sensor can be used to your advantage. With a new jailbreak tweak he has created dubbed Always On Proximity, you can enable and disable the proximity sensor on demand so you can take advantage of its features only when you need it.

The tweak would come in handy if you’re engaged in a busy texting conversation with someone and you continually stuff your iPhone in your pocket in between each text message you send or receive. Obviously, the step of unlocking your iPhone before sending each text message would get annoying if you end up in one of those texting conversations where you’re sending 10, 20, even 50 messages at once. It’s even more cumbersome when you have a passcode and have to enter it all those times.

Instead of having to unlock your device or enter a passcode that many times, Always On Proximity will make it so that when you stuff your iPhone into your pocket in between text messages, the display will turn off automatically in your pocket for you, as the sensor will detect that the iPhone is in close proximity of your pocket lining, and turn back on automatically where you left it when you pull it back out of your pocket.

Always On Proximity is Activator-based, so the only option to configure is to choose the Activator action you want to use. When you invoke the Activator action, you will get the notification banner shown above, telling you that you have either enabled or disabled the proximity sensor.

Always On Proximity is free in Cydia from the BigBoss repository starting today. You can grab it if you think you might find it useful!

Name: Always On Proximity
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-1
    Requirements: Activator
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: flux
    Editor's Rating:  3/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-27-2012 at 12:16 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hmmm, let me try this out....

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Really interesting thought. Especially useful for those with corporate emails that mandate rapid-lock and SSD-wipe protection.

BiteSMS sends and receives messages from the lockscreen. Perhaps there are other good uses for this app, but facilitating a better texting experience is done with a 3rd party messaging app.

Thanks for sharing such useful information.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Seems like 90% of JB apps solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Thanks

Great tweak, excellent for using with a cover case, thanks.

I have one issue, on iPhone4 iOS 5.1.1, i get the safe mode after install, i even delete everything installed from cydia after the jailbreak.

There is any solution?
    Making my way through...

Default This is great when sms messaging
    This is great for those who are always communicating via text messages so it would be very convenient for them to use their phone between sms messages.