Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New App Takes 360 Degree Videos By Making the iPhone Rotate By Itself

Default New App Takes 360 Degree Videos By Making the iPhone Rotate By Itself

A rather new application dubbed Cycloramic has hit the App Store for taking 360-degree videos with your iPhone 5. It has been designed so that you can stand your iPhone 5 straight up on a hard and flat glossy surface, such as glass, marble, or granite and the iPhone 5 will rotate 360 degrees all by itself to take the 360-degree video without you even needing to hold the device.

Does it seem too good to be true? – As a matter of fact, it’s real. The application is made specifically for the iPhone 5 and it uses vibration patterns using the iPhone 5’s built-in vibration mechanism to push the iPhone 5 in the direction it needs to go. When it completes the 360-degree circle, the video is saved to your Camera Roll as expected.

For the application to work correctly, you cannot have the iPhone 5 in any type of case whatsoever, as it might absorb the iPhone’s vibrations or cause the iPhone not to stand up perfectly straight. You also should use an iPhone 5, because it’s just light enough that the vibrations can push it, whereas the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S are heavier and don’t see these same results.

According to TechCrunch, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has also been spotted playing with Cycloramic to take a 360-degree video of his kitchen, which you can view from this link. From the application you can choose the amount of rotations you want to capture in video and then tap on the large "go" button to get started – the application will count down and then begin capturing. You can even pick to use the front or back camera. It’s that simple.

Some might be worried about the rotations scuffing the anodized aluminum on the bottom of the iPhone 5, however this is damage that you might see over a long period of use and not on your first couple of tries.

Cycloramic will set you back 99 to snag it from the App Store from this link, however it's well worth it if you can stand getting dizzy by watching your own round-and-round videos from your iPhone 5.

Are you going to give the app a try?

For a mobile-friendly version of the video that works with our app, tap on the link below:
    Video Link

Sources: App Store via TechCrunch
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-27-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,371 Posts

I might have to get this 'just' to see of it worx! $.99 is nothing for the entertainment I could get outta this!!! LOL!

Also, this would be cool if it could do panoramic pictures in the same way...

Ha!!! It actually worx!

http://youtu.be/suY3TvUU0XQ

Don't make fun of my AWESOME appearances in the vid!!!
    Last edited by thazsar; 12-27-2012 at 11:31 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

KraXik (12-28-2012), Mrteacup (12-27-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

lol this is a freaking cool app

Thanks

If someone could convert this to a tweak... They would be god. And have it as an sbsettings toggle "rotator"

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 751 Posts

Be cool too to have audio too. But I see why they have it disabled.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Be cool too to have audio too. But I see why they have it disabled.
    Lol. All you would hear is everyone saying 'whoa!'

Somehow converting the video to an image that can be viewed by moving the phone around (like street view in google maps) would be really cool.
    Just the uniqueness of this app alone makes it well worth the 99.

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Don't make fun of my AWESOME appearances in the vid!!!
    Nice tv over the fireplace. I couldn't tell cuz of decorations but where did u hide the wires and electronics?
    I recently mounted my tv the same way and made a custom mantle to put wires in and a cubby in the wall for electronics.
    Last edited by bmwraw8482; 12-27-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Lol. All you would hear is everyone saying 'whoa!'

Somehow converting the video to an image that can be viewed by moving the phone around (like street view in google maps) would be really cool.
    Just the uniqueness of this app alone makes it well worth the 99.

Nice tv over the fireplace. I couldn't tell cuz of decorations but where did u hide the wires and electronics?
    I recently mounted my tv the same way and made a custom mantle to put wires in and a cubby in the wall for electronics.
    Thanx bud! The wall is actually a facade! The original house has a brick fireplace. The wires go behind the TV into the space between the brick and fake wall. Then they travel into the attic and then down and out to the right of the TV into a cabinet (you can see the top doors open in the video).

It was 'very' fun hanging the TV Mount cuz it required me to use a hammer drill to sink concrete screws into the brick which is about 2" behind the faux wall

If it did a panoramic picture, I would buy it. Cool app either way.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Thanx bud!
    I thought about the facade idea since mine was all brick too and I was certainly nervous about drilling into the brick but in the end it was worth it.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7D...DVmRWoyYXFfbUU

Quote Originally Posted by Legend_master View Post
    If it did a panoramic picture, I would buy it. Cool app either way.
    It's cool enough to buy and hope they update for that... Or is there a way to make your vibration stay on while you manually take a panorama on a smooth glossy surface? Hmmm...
    Last edited by bmwraw8482; 12-27-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    I thought about the facade idea since mine was all brick too and I was certainly nervous about drilling into the brick but in the end it was worth it.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7D...DVmRWoyYXFfbUU

It's cool enough to buy and hope they update for that... Or is there a way to make your vibration stay on while you manually take a panorama on a smooth glossy surface? Hmmm...
    See, that's SWEET!!! Loving the electronics nook you made! Simple and perfect!!! You won't see the wires coming down from the TV unless ur looking for it and wrapping the mantle around for running the wires was a great idea! Thumbs up!

I've never looked into it but maybe there's a way to install a new chair rail that'll hide wires so you can hide your sub somewhere....! Or go wireless! It looks like going up the wall into some Crown Moulding wouldn't work cuz of your nice wood beams.
    Last edited by thazsar; 12-27-2012 at 02:45 PM.

That's a really ingenious app but no way will I risk scuffing my phone over something like that

I know it may take some usage before you may notice scuffing but the aluminum is very sensitive (based on experience from scuff reports during the initial release of the iphone 5)

Either way very cool app for those that don't care much about taking care of their phones

So there is no way that your phone would accidentally fall over during this spin thing and damage itself?

Just downloaded it. Cool concept, but found most surfaces not slick enuough. Also disappointed that it made a video rather that pano.

Unless I missed an option

Quote Originally Posted by Checksum47 View Post
    So there is no way that your phone would accidentally fall over during this spin thing and damage itself?
    On a flat surface, not likely!

Thanks
    Great app. Love it. 👍

iPhone? More like MyPhone abujala's Avatar
    Thanks

This app rocks!

I'm going to get it just to see the phone rotate too.

If you guys are only buying it to see the iPhone rotate, you know you can just stand the iPhone up and perform test vibrations from the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    If you guys are only buying it to see the iPhone rotate, you know you can just stand the iPhone up and perform test vibrations from the settings.
    This tool will only be useful to me when it converts to Panoramic photo. Then it would be super cool..

This is really nice ! I guess it would be good to take videos of kids especially !