+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Awarded Patent for new SIM Card Connector Design

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Awarded Patent for new SIM Card Connector Design

The United States Patent and Trademark Office awarded Apple a patent for the design of SIM card connectors found in mobile devices and a bevy of other electronics.

The patent is likely Apple’s response to the ongoing battle with Nokia and other phone manufacturers over the future of SIM card connector designs. The battle between Apple and Nokia has become increasingly relevant as well with the European Telecommunications Standards Institute agreeing to set clear policies regarding how its member companies license patents related to the technology.

Apple ultimately positioned itself as a driving force behind the ETSI’s ruling by pledging royalty-free licensing of its nano-SIM design if the ETSI ruled in Apple’s favor. The ETSI eventually did.

The latest patent awarded to Apple by the USPTO on Christmas day covers a number of different methods of inserting and ejecting SIM cards. The design’s focus specifically on preventing the user from damaging the device or the SIM card if the card is inserted or ejected improperly.

A passage in the filing claims the filing covers not only iPads and iPhones, but covers products such as media centers, MacBooks, and larger screen displays. Expect this to stir up a considerable amount of speculation about Apple’s future products.

Source: AppleInsider

Thanks

I'm surprised with the fact that Apple didn't patent (yet...) how Humans breathe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blueaviator For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (12-26-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The nature of the tech world is crazy. We are now getting to a point where EVERYTIME Apple patents something people act like they are overstepping their bounds lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to trek-life For This Useful Post:

runey71 (12-26-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueaviator View Post
    I'm surprised with the fact that Apple didn't patent (yet...) how Humans breathe
    You act like this patent is a general patent or something, mmi just reports on every patent and people like you don't understand enough to realize that every company gets patents and sues. If you were to constantly watch a Samsung forum like mmi you would see they patent crap all the time and sue too. It's just business. I'm not saying its morally right but that is literally what business is. It's an idea you make money off and if someone copies you your get to sue them

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrteacup For This Useful Post:

Raybeast (12-26-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i'm surprised with the fact that apple didn't patent (yet...) how humans breathe
    agree!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple's new 2013 additions to iLife:
    iBreathe
    iEat
    iS#!t

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    iBreathe
    iEat
    iS#!t
    +1

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colwood's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    iBreathe
    iEat
    iS#!t
    +2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    ... people like you don't understand enough to realize that every company gets patents and sues.
    You shouldn't assume things you don't know. I myself work in a very large aeronautics company and we, as well, register thousands of patents every year. I know very well how and why these things work. But I don't blame Apple, I blame the rules behind the patent processing. And this has nothing to do with Apple, Samsung or other. But this kind of patent is like (a bit exagerated...) patenting the fact that you insert a screw and turn clockwise...