+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhones, iPads Prompt Spike in New York City Crime

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It's no secret that iPhones and iPads are some of the hottest devices in all of mobile tech today. But they're so in demand - among consumers and criminals alike
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default iPhones, iPads Prompt Spike in New York City Crime

It's no secret that iPhones and iPads are some of the hottest devices in all of mobile tech today. But they're so in demand - among consumers and criminals alike - that authorities in New York are blaming the Apple products for the first spike in New York City crime observed in 20 years.

”Overall crime in the five boroughs is up 3% so far this year, driven by the thefts of Apple products,” Paul Browne, a spokesperson for the New York Police Department, said this week. If Apple thefts hadn't climbed, "we would be experiencing a slight decline in crime citywide."

But thefts of iPhones and iPads did climb - significantly. In fact, Apple-related crimes are up 40% in 2012. And iDevice owners are beginning to be more mindful of their device's theft vulnerability while in public, around the office, and even at home or in the car.

On the bright side, however, New York is still safer these days than it has been in the past, particularly when it comes to violent crimes and homicide. New York City, the WSJ confirms, is on track to end the year with "the lowest number of homicides in half a century."

Source: WSJ

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Hmm..ill be more careful. I live between park slope and bay ridge so things have been quite. But I'll make an effort to hide my apple products, people here flash it
    Nothing in life is easy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol, you never know, they might start banning Idevices!

Green Apple
    Thanks

maybe reported crime is down but theres plenty of it, nyc reminds me of the 80's when i was growing up its beginning to look like it again