+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'PDF Printer for Safari' Lets Mobile Safari Save Web Pages As PDF Files

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'PDF Printer for Safari' Lets Mobile Safari Save Web Pages As PDF Files

For those times when you want to save an interesting article on a Web page, or save a Web page for a later viewing time when you won't have an Internet connection, or even see a Web page on a larger screen such as on your personal computer, a new free jailbreak tweak dubbed PDF Printer for Safari by iOS developer lordscotland is available in Cydia that enables a PDF file printing option in Mobile Safari’s Print menu.

The Printing menu is accessed by tapping on the sharing button at the bottom of the display when viewing a Web page in Mobile Safari. Once you tap on it, you can pick Print from the dialogue menu, finally you’ll be able to tap on the PDF button found at the top right of the display, as shown above.

After just a few moments, the Web page will be converted to a PDF file. Processing takes longer on older devices and is much faster on newer devices.

You can then open the freshly-made PDF file in another application such as Dropbox, iFile, or some other application that supports PDF files on iOS. This is done by tapping on the "Open In..." button from the top left of the display and then choosing the application you want to open the PDF file in, in this case Dropbox by tapping Dropbox from the dialogue menu, and then tapping the Save button at the top right of the display when Dropbox appears asking you what you want to do with the file:

Alternatively, if you know right away that you want to open the application in iFile, and nothing else, you can tap on the “Open In iFile” button from the top right of the display rather than “Open In…”

If you went ahead and chose Dropbox like we did, you will now see the file upload to your Dropbox folder, and shortly after when it finishes, you’ll be able to open it from the Dropbox folder and view it at any time:

If you chose Dropbox, then all of your computers with Dropbox installed will also receive the file, so you’ll be able to see the Web page on the big screen if you used this tweak in order to move from your small iOS device display to your larger personal computer display. Since the file is now a PDF file on your personal computer, you’ll be able to look at it even when you have no Internet connection.

Due to the limitations of the native rendering mechanism, lordscotland tells us that links will not work in the PDF version of the Web page. On the other hand, some good news is that the text from the Web site remains as text and is not rasterized, meaning you’ll be able to copy text from the PDF file to paste somewhere else.

The way PDF Printer for Safari seamlessly integrates into iOS' existing features is wonderful. It's quick and easy, anyone can do it, and best of all – it's free!

Lordscotland has made the source code for PDF Printer for Safari available for the public to view from this link.

Name: PDF Printer for Safari
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: lordscotland
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

Thanks

I miss my JB

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dgow452 View Post
    I miss my JB
    Amen man.....amen. The Jailbreaking days seem so long ago to me, a distant memory. Every time I see a article like this, discussing a new tweak, I get this sort of sad feeling...a depressing feeling. Tweaks just don't have that same aura about them that they used to have...they just seem dated, and irrelevant now....breaks my heart.
    El Zurdo

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dgow452 View Post
    I miss my JB
    I don't think you need one for this functionality. MacOSXHints I'm sure posted a way to do it using a javascript bookmark.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    I don't think you need one for this functionality. MacOSXHints I'm sure posted a way to do it using a javascript bookmark.
    Developer here. The disadvantage of a bookmarklet is that your browsing session is lost. For example, a bookmarklet would not be able to capture a subscription article (if you had to log in to access it) or a form that you filled out online.

I created this tweak to fix that problem. PDF generation takes place entirely on the device, using what Safari has already rendered--no external web services are used.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lordscotland View Post
    Developer here. The disadvantage of a bookmarklet is that your browsing session is lost. For example, a bookmarklet would not be able to capture a subscription article (if you had to log in to access it) or a form that you filled out online.

I created this tweak to fix that problem. PDF generation takes place entirely on the device, using what Safari has already rendered--no external web services are used.
    Then I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing it up.