+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Brazilian "iPhone" Knockoff Actually an Android Device

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple and Brazil have an interesting relationship. Their largest manufacturing partner Foxconn has a number of facilities there as production costs become cheaper than the traditionally inexpensive Chinese labor. Which
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Brazilian "iPhone" Knockoff Actually an Android Device

Apple and Brazil have an interesting relationship. Their largest manufacturing partner Foxconn has a number of facilities there as production costs become cheaper than the traditionally inexpensive Chinese labor.

Which is why this Brazilian “iPhone” is rather odd.

A Brazilian electronics company called Gradiente claims to have exclusive rights to the “iphone” name in the country, and has released their own iPhone. The phone in question is an Android 2.3 device which is two full iterations behind the current 4.2 Jellybean build of Android utilized on recent flagship releases. The company claims it has the rights to Apple’s phone namesake until 2018 and will continue to use the name as part of corporate restructuring process according to the Associated Press.

“In Brazil, Gradiente has the exclusive right to use the iPhone brand. This company will adopt all the measures used by companies around the world to preserve its intellectual property rights.” — Graiente Press Release
    Gradiente’s deceptive tactis are likely a last ditch effort to help the struggling electronics company buy time during the tail end of their restructuring process. Still, with specs like a 320 x 480pixel display, 700MHz single-core ARM processor, 2GB of storage and complete lack of multi-touch will only fool the technologically deft.

However, Gradiente has a history of releasing subpar ripoffs, and cheap electronics. The company, founded in 1964, even released it's own licensed, but rebranded NES system in the 80's. Innovation doesn't appear to be one of the company's strong points.

Sources: Gizmodo, Associated Press
    Last edited by i.Annie; 12-26-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

Awesome. Put me down for 6.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

Here comes a lawsuit!

Green Apple
    Thanks

They should have Apple pay them for the name and cash in, big time. They're not going to fool a lot of people into buying their phone in Brazil.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfeind View Post
    They should have Apple pay them for the name and cash in, big time. They're not going to fool a lot of people into buying their phone in Brazil.
    Or....Apple doesn't have to sell the iPhone in Brazil and let the citizens get pissed off enough to overturn their (Gradiente's) 'iPhone' exclusive rights

I even don't know who I really am
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,956 Times in 2,333 Posts

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

That looks absolutely nothing like an iPhone.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 12-23-2012 at 05:24 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PokemonDesigner For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (12-23-2012), scroogelives (12-23-2012)

rcm
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raybeast View Post
    Here comes a lawsuit!
    from who?, they are stealing from both apple and google

Thanks
    I can't believe it!
    I found an Apple exactly like the other Apple in my local supermarket same shape possibly with a bit different specification but I still bought it and ate it! Did I infringe any copyright? Answers on a postcard please. Amen! 😰

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Please stay on topic. Thanks.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-23-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Does this mean Apple can't sell a product called "iPhone" in Brazil?

rcm
    Thanks

I wonder what google has to say about their operating system being used on a cheap phone, called iphone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    That looks absolutely nothing like an iPhone. Stop being stupid.
    Stop being a troll. No one said it looked anything like an iPhone. It's called an iPhone because in Brazil Apple don't own the rights to the name. Read the article next time.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 12-23-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    That looks absolutely nothing like an iPhone.
    I agree, but it's the name if the device "iPhone" not the appearance of it,is what the post is about

Thanks

On a business trip in Manila. Was accosted by street vendors and offered an 'iPhone 4' (shortly before the 5 was officially released here). I wasn't gonna buy but out of curiosity, I stopped to check out the phone. First thing I looked at was the back. It said 'Made in United States of America (sic)'.

One may find real iPhones here but on the street, it's virtually 100% certain it's stolen. Imported legit ones sold in stores before official release are sold for almost $500 profit margin.
    Sydney, Australia
    If you received help, click on the Thanks button!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

That look nothing like an iPhone, so it is not a knockoff.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,281 Times in 5,959 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    That look nothing like an iPhone, so it is not a knockoff.
    Next time read the article first. It's not supposed to look like it, they are just using the name as stated a couple of times already.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
    from who?, they are stealing from both apple and google
    How are they stealing from either?? They have the rights to use the name "iPhone" to sell their product.

rcm
    Thanks

They have the rights to the name iPhone, but does that mean you can have android on a phone, with the name of it's biggest rival, after all, the court battle between Apple and Samsung have gone from simple design conflicts, to the size of the icons. In the end they may have the rights to use the name iPhone, but i think it's a different story when it comes to the OS. Also, they are using a 2 year old OS, so is Google even aware that phones are still being made with such an old version of it?, cuz even the chinese knockoffs have updated a bit.

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
    They have the rights to the name iPhone, but does that mean you can have android on a phone, with the name of it's biggest rival, after all, the court battle between Apple and Samsung have gone from simple design conflicts, to the size of the icons. In the end they may have the rights to use the name iPhone, but i think it's a different story when it comes to the OS. Also, they are using a 2 year old OS, so is Google even aware that phones are still being made with such an old version of it?, cuz even the chinese knockoffs have updated a bit.
    Google may not like it but there is nothing in their terms and conditions that would prevent it. Apple may have some recourse to do something about it considering how closely linked the name iPhone is to their product. That really depends on the Brazilian courts though.