Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Inching Closer to NFC, Patent Filing Shows

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Apple Inching Closer to NFC, Patent Filing Shows

Although proponents of Near Field Communications (NFC) technology held their breath to no avail in hopes of the iPhone 5 delivering NFC capabilities, the disappointment will eventually fade away. That much is clear from a patent application filed by the iDevice maker.

On Thursday, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office published Apple's filing titled "Integrated Coupon Storage, Discovery, And Redemption System." The design presented in the filing refers to a system that allows users to both manage and use electronic coupons - a capability possibly requiring NFC. That comes by Apple's own admission.

"The electronic coupons may be redeemed in a number of ways, including scanning an image displayed on the mobile device, communicating with a wireless network, or through an integrated near field payment system offered by the location," Apple explains in the patent.

Filed one year before Passbook was formally unveiled with iOS 6 last summer, it's clear that Passbook has been a huge success for Apple, with everyone from Starbucks to Major League Baseball getting on board. According to no shortage of industry analysts, NFC is the next logical step for the evolution of this increasingly much-have platform.

Source: USPTO

iPhone 5N

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    iPhone 5N
    iPhone N5FC.

Combines - NFC/5/Not Suitable For Children.

Pron on the next iPhone. You heard it here first.

Banned
    Thanks

yaaaay, NFC--coming in 2010, unless you have an iPhone then you get it......mabye, in 2013 or 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    yaaaay, NFC--coming in 2010, unless you have an iPhone then you get it......mabye, in 2013 or 2014.
    You don't understand, Apple takes longer, but does it right. Im actually happy because the industry will go forward. all compagnies do in their own way btw, but when Apple makes a step, everybody follows in the same direction. This, in my opinion, is why Apple is so prestigious in it's field.

You gotta believe me, in a few years we'll all be walking around with iWallets and Samsung Galaxy Wallet II III, Note II, Note....All thanks to Apple .
    Last edited by iFanaddic; 12-20-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Lame ***** apple, they would patent breathing if they could.........

Once apple does it NFC will go hardcore mainstream right now it's in small pockets here and there. It will be everywhere once apple says its gold.

Quote Originally Posted by barondebxl View Post
    Lame ***** apple, they would patent breathing if they could.........
    Actually the iLung is already available in US retailers. First iLung for $299 (wifi model) and the second one for $349 (32gb 4g model).

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iFanaddic View Post
    You don't understand, Apple takes longer, but does it right. Im actually happy because the industry will go forward. all compagnies do in their own way btw, but when Apple makes a step, everybody follows in the same direction. This, in my opinion, is why Apple is so prestigious in it's field.

You gotta believe me, in a few years we'll all be walking around with iWallets and Samsung Galaxy Wallet II III, Note II, Note....All thanks to Apple .
    Really? Apple Maps ring a bell?
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by iFanaddic View Post
    You don't understand, Apple takes longer, but does it right
    Oh, so Apple's notification center (which is a rip-off not only Android NC but also the previous jailbreak NC App) is "better" exactly how?

I'd also like to know how iOS cut & paste is superior to Android's or even that of my old computer from 1984 for that matter.

No, Apple rarely "does it first" and doesn't even do it better most of the time.

Does Apple have good products, sure they do. I'm keeping my iPad and MacBook Pro despite dumping my iPhone 5 for my Samsung Galaxy S 3 (I also run Windows on my MBP). The real best solution isn't to blindly follow one company but to evaluate each product on it's own merits and make an informed choice. For some it will be an all Apple world, others will opt for Android/Linux and many will live in a Windows world but there will be plenty like myself who find a mixed environment to be the best...