+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Appsfire: Only 34% of Apps Released on Apple's App Store in 2012 Were Paid

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Appsfire: Only 34% of Apps Released on Apple's App Store in 2012 Were Paid

When the App Store first came to fruition in 2008, the majority of new apps that were released were paid apps. Since then, the times seemed to have change as more and more app developers are electing to go with free or freemium models rather than charging users to download their app. Appsfire recently posted their 2012: A Year In The App Store review that analyzed the 1 million apps that have been sold in the App Store and they found that only 34% apps released in 2012 were paid apps, a number which was down from 74% in 2008.

Most developers are apparently looking to support their apps via ads or in-app purchases, however there has been some debates among developers as to whether either of these models are sustainable. Appsfire says that 339,163 apps were created in 2012, with 95,468 new developers joining the App Store.

According to the study, over 25% of the apps submitted and approved have been pulled, which signals the maturation of the App Store market as the functionality of apps overlap each other and become irrelevant. The biggest problem that many app developers seem to struggle with is discovery. Only 1,000 apps reached the top ranks of the App Store in 2012 while over 600,000 apps never got substantial traction. Although games represent a small fraction of the total number of apps in the App Store, with less than 17%, they actually comprise a majority of the apps that appear in the top 10.

Itís pretty interesting to see how the App Store and app development as a whole has evolved since it began.

Source: Appsfire via The Next Web

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nice rating table for Apple app store releases.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tario70's Avatar
    Thanks

Why do I think that if they did a similar chart for Cydia, the percentage of paid apps released would show a higher percentage. In fact, I'd bet that the trend would actually be reversed for Cydia, with Free Apps/Tweaks being in the majority in the beginning with a continuing increase in paid apps.

Thanks

I can imagine the jailbreak community is partly responsible for some of the dent. We will be releasing a word game sometime in March 2013. We are confident it will be the best word game ever and if given the exposure, has the potential to surpass the top ones (WWF, Scrabble).

We are noobs in the App Store. This is our first app. Can anyone give advice on how we can avoid the app graveyard?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I would like a graph of paid Cydia apps that loose support or require more money following an update.

I do not like purchasing apps such as Snappy, Pro Tube, MyWi, or SBSchedule, and after an major or even minor upgrade, having to spend a few more dollars or having no support at all.

Now I understand that new firmwares may require a full rewrite of the program. However, some developers rewrite the program and release free updates (BiteSMS, FolderEnhancer) while others do not. The money is not the problem as it is generally only a few dollars lost each app which I would estimate having only lost no more than $50 on unsupported paid apps since 2009.

As for having no support after upgrade, I believe Saurik could implement rules that protect the consumers and potentially net more profits for developers. Piracy is a big issue on Cydia and has even been addressed by Saurik. However, since this will unlikely reach him, BUY MORE CYDIA APPS! Support your developers. Better applications and support will come if developers see there is money to be made.

/end rant

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STM127 View Post
    I would like a graph of paid Cydia apps that loose support or require more money following an update.
    Who cares about Cydia apps right now? Honestly half of us don't even have a jailbreak anymore. I'm sure many have moved up to iPhone5 or iOS6. Not being ungrateful or anything but we can't wait forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

How does this compare to Android and Windows Phone? I would find that interesting. I know that the other operating systems don't have the same length of history but I still think it would show some sort of pattern.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Honestly half of us don't even have a jailbreak anymore.
    Source?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Most free apps have in-app purchases so the chart has little to no significance.