+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Discussing Partnership With Foursquare, Possible Effort to Bolster Maps App

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple is reportedly in talks with Foursquare about adding the company’s data to iOS map according to a report by the Wall Street Journal. The WSJ report claims the partnership
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Discussing Partnership With Foursquare, Possible Effort to Bolster Maps App

Apple is reportedly in talks with Foursquare about adding the company’s data to iOS map according to a report by the Wall Street Journal.

The WSJ report claims the partnership would eventually lead to Apple incorporating local data from Foursquare into the Apple iOS Maps application. How exactly this will benefit iOS users is unclear, unless Apple wants their iOS Maps app to turn into another virtual game of King of The Hill.

The report claims Apple senior vice president Eddy Cue has been meeting with Foursquare representatives over the last few weeks, and discussing how their service uses data to find locations and business listings. The partnership would hopefully boost Apple’s lackluster business location functionality within iOS Maps.

Apples willingness to even discuss partnering with Foursquare shows the company understands the limitations of its current maps application. How the two companies plan to partner, or even if they do is still largely unknown. But, Apple needs to differentiate itself from Google’s Maps offering which has already been downloaded more than 10 million times since being released.

Source: CNET

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

A partnership with Foursquare would be great. It could provide a lot of site specific user input and reviews. Like you search for closest Chinese restaurant. Apple Maps find some for you and the Foursquare integration can provide comments from people who have eaten there and whether its good or not. Def a worthwhile integration.

Thanks

Question: how would u check-in somewhere if the location is wrong on the map?
    (I haven't had any problems with apple maps in Virginia. I just had to throw that out there for all the complainers &#128540

Thanks

So why was Yelp integrated in to iOS if their data is not going to be used. Their business locations are actually verified vs Foursquare...seems a little odd to me.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crouching View Post
    So why was Yelp integrated in to iOS if their data is not going to be used. Their business locations are actually verified vs Foursquare...seems a little odd to me.
    If they do "partner" I'm guessing it will just be something like the Facebook integration on maps. You can choose to write a review from four square or yelp. You can also upload photos from locations using four square or yelp etc. (as in the photos for reviews etc.)