+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Maps for iOS Already Tops 10 Million Downloads

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In what some are perhaps correctly perceiving to be a telling commentary about the quality of Apple's mapping service, more than 10 million downloads have already been logged by Google's
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Google Maps for iOS Already Tops 10 Million Downloads

In what some are perhaps correctly perceiving to be a telling commentary about the quality of Apple's mapping service, more than 10 million downloads have already been logged by Google's new standalone maps application. Not bad for the first 48 hours of the app's availability on iOS.

Google executive Jeff Huber was first to trumpet the good news (for Google) this afternoon on his Google + page.

"We're excited for the positive reception of Google Maps for iPhone around the world," he wrote. "Congratulations to the Maps Team on the recognition for the passion and hard work they poured into it, for this release and over the last 7+ years."

Not surprisingly, as of Monday, Google Maps remains the top free app in the entire iOS App Store. For now, the app works with the iPhone, iPod touch, and even the iPad, although a dedicated iPad app designed to accommodate the larger tablet screen hasn't yet been released. But it's coming.

Source: Google

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

Crapple map suck big time...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DaLsim For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (12-17-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

about 9 million satisfied folks

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sooo... basically this just reinforces how ignorant and prideful Apple is becoming?

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HomieG35 View Post
    Sooo... basically this just reinforces how ignorant and prideful Apple is becoming?
    Or it just reinforces that consumers are more comfortable using Google Maps.

Thanks

Huh? How so?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

How so? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    Or it just reinforces that consumers are more comfortable using Google Maps.
    Or people like me that downloaded to see what's the hoopla is about. And used it once and won't ever use it again

9. The Following User Says Thank You to subywrex For This Useful Post:

runey71 (12-17-2012)

Thanks

I still don't understand, there's nothing at all the Goggle Map does better, hell...When using directions it doesn't link to my contacts like the Apple Map does. Score one for Apple, I've now traveled to 12 different cities with no issues at all of Apple Map app finding my destination perfectly, Google sent me on 2 wild goose chases, score 2 for Apple.
    I just deleted my Guggle Map App, it's just not as good. You Guggle fans stop telling lies, and get a life. If you reply to this, be warned.....I never read my replies because frankly I don't have any respect for Guggle as a company nor its mindless drones who support it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cgfusion For This Useful Post:

runey71 (12-18-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Downloaded it. Used it once. Wasn't any better than Apple Maps, except for having Street View which I don't need. Moved it to my 'probably never use again' page.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I agree, it was just ok to me. I preferred when it was integrated into iOS. It's not the same now..

Thanks

The apple maps have been great for me.

Thanks

I have never encountered an error with Apple Maps. I've been using it since iOS 6 came out. One of the biggest perks would be the real time directions as you travel. I waited the longest time for that feature. I probably won't use Google Maps ever again, Apple Maps just seems so much better to me compared to the old Google Maps on iOS 5.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Happy to see so many satisfied with the apple maps I've been confused for a while on why everyone has been hating on it!

iPhone? More like MyPhone WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Google maps just doesn't feel the same anymore now that its not a stock app :I

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple maps only have a couple known problems but no device in the market is perfect. It took google a couple of years to get there mapping service right. This is the whole reason why apple tries to make there own software and hardware. To avoid problems like this. Apple had no choice to use google because they would have to invest in a whole new department to map out every nation. I am sure apple did not think that google was going to be an arch rival in the future of mobile or they would have not used google for maps. Apple wanted google to have turn by turn and google said no which forced them to release there maps early. I for one never liked the stock google maps and now the app feels cheap. Just like every android phone I have touched. I just downloaded it to see what everything was about. I used it for one day and deleted it. Bloggers made this bigger then what it realy is to make news. People then freaked out and blew this thing out of proportion. I for one have not encountered any problems but that may be because I am also using my logic while driving. I hope I am not the only one because I would be really scared to drive on the road if everyone driving didn't have a head on there shoulders. While driving around using apple maps I started thinking why are people making such a big deal of this and this is what I have come up with. People have forgot that when GPS was becoming popular that the companies pitched to not put full trust on GPS for directions. That it makes mistakes. I guess people can't get there eyes off there phones even while driving. When you are using GPS remember to also use your head. I know it can be done. We did it before GPS existed. Remember that your phone is an electronic device which means like every electronic device it is not perfect and may have bugs.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Itchybums For This Useful Post:

runey71 (12-18-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Would I be correct in saying that those above that like Apple Maps are situated in the U.S. ?

I'm glad to have a functional Map App back with Google Maps. A side by side comparison showed Goggle maps got 10/10 searches correct while Apple Maps got 1/10. Either Apple maps has no results or returns an obscure result in another country.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
    I still don't understand, there's nothing at all the Goggle Map does better, hell...When using directions it doesn't link to my contacts like the Apple Map does. Score one for Apple, I've now traveled to 12 different cities with no issues at all of Apple Map app finding my destination perfectly, Google sent me on 2 wild goose chases, score 2 for Apple.
    I just deleted my Guggle Map App, it's just not as good. You Guggle fans stop telling lies, and get a life. If you reply to this, be warned.....I never read my replies because frankly I don't have any respect for Guggle as a company nor its mindless drones who support it.
    Bs lol

Some of you fanboys are pathetic. You refuse to give Google credit for anything. I bet some of you will say that Google doesn't have the best search engine soon. It's ok to like things from both Google and Apple. And the person comparing Google IOS 5 maps to Apple maps needs to first try out the new Google App before criticizing it. That is just ignorant.
    Last edited by rockyseay; 12-18-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Or people like me that downloaded to see what's the hoopla is about. And used it once and won't ever use it again
    Unless you do not travel much, you will use it again right after Apple maps get you lost.
    Happened a couple times to me already.

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Would I be correct in saying that those above that like Apple Maps are situated in the U.S. ?

I'm glad to have a functional Map App back with Google Maps. A side by side comparison showed Goggle maps got 10/10 searches correct while Apple Maps got 1/10. Either Apple maps has no results or returns an obscure result in another country.
    No you would be wrong. Australia and no problems here even in rural areas.

Except Mildura but no one cares about Mildura LOL Plus the error has been fixed.

Thanks

Wonder if they would a .99 price tag on it if it would be that huigh ?