Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Gene Munster: Time Has Come for Cheaper iPhone

  1. #21
    making a cheeper iPhone wounld't devalue the brand, it would just open new income for Appl£.

    All Apple need to do is upgrade the 3Gs a little, sell it as a factory unlocked iDevice for around $100/£80 and they'd still make money from it while having a cheeper iDevice

    the 3Gs was a great iPhone, in my opinion I don't think they'd do bad doing what I've suggested
    Last edited by dsg; 12-17-2012 at 09:19 PM.

  2. #22
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    You said it all before I could. Plus, Androids are priced exactly like iPhone's are... or the other way around... either way its irrelevant -- Anywho, the point is that you can get a bleeding edge Android/iPhone for $199 and an ok one for free. I don't see why we need to change anything... the pricing is the same and the tech on both sides is excellent. Sooooo... the analyst's statement is just ridiculous.
    Agreed. One thing in Munsters defense: with the rise of the Tmo super network, Verizon's unparalleled 4G consistency, and AT&T's frantic money-throwing problem-solving method, next year will be the battle of the carriers in its bloodiest form yet. It will be increasingly appealing to the average consumer to deep-six the contract in favor of an unlocked smartphone so they can take advantage of the great deals that switch networks every six months. The flavor this month is Tmo's insane unlimited 4G... Etc.

    Unlocked phones aren't cheap, no matter what side of the os war you're on. And cheaper unlocked smartphones will, make no mistake, be HOT by Christmas 2013.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    the 3Gs could make a come back, it blows most of the cheaper Android devices out of the water
    And the iPhone 4 blows that out of the water! Just as free...

    And to anyone trying to say android is better you don't understand how markets work. Anyway if you want to learn more read all the other 1000 threads with this argument

  4. #24
    yeah because Appl£ give them away factory unlocked without a contract

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    making a cheeper iPhone wounld't devalue the brand, it would just open new income for Appl£.

    All Apple need to do is upgrade the 3Gs a little, sell it as a factory unlocked iDevice for around $100/£80 and they'd still make money from it while having a cheeper iDevice

    the 3Gs was a great iPhone, in my opinion I don't think they'd do bad doing what I've suggested
    Actually it would devalue the brand.

  6. #26
    please explain why you think it would?

    Edit: did the iPad mini devalue the iPad, not as far as I can tell people still buy the iPad.

    and the sales of iPads has gone down because people don't always want to get the new device every year
    Last edited by dsg; 12-17-2012 at 09:51 PM.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    please explain why you think it would?

    Edit: did the iPad mini devalue the iPad, not as far as I can tell people still buy the iPad.

    and the sales of iPads has gone down because people don't always want to get the new device every year
    Price is simply the sacrifice a consumer is willing to make to get a product or service. When it comes to price, Apple has always implemented a "Premium Pricing" strategy. According to many Marketing text books, premium pricing means that "a firm deliberately prices those product or service above the price of competing products or services to specifically capture those consumers who simply want the best, or for whom price does not matter." Companies, specifically Apple, actually use a "Pricing Premium" to gain market share by offering products that are high in quality and at a fair price. This is achieved through effective communications and distributions channels which can generate a perception of extremely high value. If Apple was to lower there price on existing product lines, or created cheaper product lines, the value of there products would diminish in the minds of consumers.

    As for the iPad mini, it is totally expected that Apple would make "mini" tablet priced higher than there competitors. Hence, In the mind of many, it has more value. And yes, people are still buying the regular sized iPad. Why wouldn't they?
    Last edited by mustard05; 12-17-2012 at 10:24 PM.

  8. #28
    Does anyone not notice the fact that it's $99 ON CONTRACT in AMERICA. What about the rest of the world? Also, since it's in contract it's not really $99 is it? A free phone isn't free if you're paying upto $60 a month for it. Look at the UK...it costs £529 for an iPhone 5 16 GB where it only costs them $180 to make so £110-120. Anyone who doesn't see apples theft is blind.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    Price is simply the sacrifice a consumer is willing to make to get a product or service. When it comes to price, Apple has always implemented a "Premium Pricing" strategy. According to many Marketing text books, premium pricing means that "a firm deliberately prices those product or service above the price of competing products or services to specifically capture those consumers who simply want the best, or for whom price does not matter." Companies, specifically Apple, actually use a "Pricing Premium" to gain market share by offering products that are high in quality and at a fair price. This is achieved through effective communications and distributions channels which can generate a perception of extremely high value. If Apple was to lower there price on existing product lines, or created cheaper product lines, the value of there products would diminish in the minds of consumers.

    As for the iPad mini, it is totally expected that Apple would make "mini" tablet priced higher than there competitors. Hence, In the mind of many, it has more value. And yes, people are still buying the regular sized iPad. Why wouldn't they?

    good points but to carry on selling a device 'they' made a while ago which was a damn good device and was highly praised at the time of it's release shouldn't cause an issue like what you have stated
    Last edited by dsg; 12-17-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: added quote

  10. #30
    Starbucks Artist mmaboi21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bakersfield CA.
    Posts
    2,405
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 207 Times in 160 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by methamp View Post
    I believe it would be a mistake to devalue the brand so much that subsidized pricing becomes the MSRP. The experience comes with its own costs.
    Greatest comment in this whole thread.
    Apples known for quality I can't see them making a model specifically targeted for people looking for a cheaper device. Financially and physically, the prices are great at what they are now.

    Quote Originally Posted by ss4adib View Post
    Does anyone not notice the fact that it's $99 ON CONTRACT in AMERICA. What about the rest of the world? Also, since it's in contract it's not really $99 is it? A free phone isn't free if you're paying upto $60 a month for it. Look at the UK...it costs £529 for an iPhone 5 16 GB where it only costs them $180 to make so £110-120. Anyone who doesn't see apples theft is blind.
    I guess I'm blind...
    Who cares really..? They built the device and I paid for it
    Last edited by mmaboi21; 12-17-2012 at 10:48 PM.

  11. #31
    I disagree with the article as well. Apple has already created a more affordable solution so consumers can have a chance to own an iPhone and the same for the iPad. I don't know about a wider screen size, but Apple definitely needs to change to design of the iPhone because a few new features isn't going to cut it much anymore. While they still hold the crown to being leaders in innovation, their competition is swiftly catching up. I don't know if this is on purpose (I mean who does?) or maybe it's time for Apple to make a few changes.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by cmay227 View Post
    Guess you like being in jail. iphones have lost their cool. That why android is doing better. No so cool when everyone has one huh?
    Sorry I'm an adult and buy the phone I want, not the one I hope others "think" is cool. Grow up.

    Quote Originally Posted by ss4adib View Post
    Does anyone not notice the fact that it's $99 ON CONTRACT in AMERICA. What about the rest of the world? Also, since it's in contract it's not really $99 is it? A free phone isn't free if you're paying upto $60 a month for it. Look at the UK...it costs £529 for an iPhone 5 16 GB where it only costs them $180 to make so £110-120. Anyone who doesn't see apples theft is blind.
    LoL... It's only theft if they force people to buy it. You'll never get an argument out of me that Apple's products are stupidly over priced but they charge what the market will pay..... right now all of the idiots (including me) that purchase at the rediculous prices are part of the problem. Don't blame apple they are out to make money after all.
    Last edited by rkswat; 12-17-2012 at 11:30 PM.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Greatest comment in this whole thread.
    Apples known for quality I can't see them making a model specifically targeted for people looking for a cheaper device. Financially and physically, the prices are great at what they are now.



    I guess I'm blind...
    Who cares really..? They built the device and I paid for it
    This is why people moan when some of the quality of the phones are bad, they are paying a higher price (knowignly) because they want the "better" experience. When there are chips and software glitches (maps) people will complain.

  14. #34
    I honestly doubt they would make a cheaper or wider iphone. It would be super nice if they made a wider one but other than that cheaper seems useless. Just saying.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    And the iPhone 4 blows that out of the water! Just as free...

    And to anyone trying to say android is better you don't understand how markets work. Anyway if you want to learn more read all the other 1000 threads with this argument
    Soooo.....because I feel Android is better..for me and my use...that means I dont understand how the market works?

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by deltabell View Post
    This is why people moan when some of the quality of the phones are bad, they are paying a higher price (knowignly) because they want the "better" experience. When there are chips and software glitches (maps) people will complain.
    good comment if you do not want a quality phone then buy a cheap phone Apple needs to keep selling so my stock keeps climbing thank you Apple for great products at a great price very excited to see what you have in store for us in 2013.

  17. #37
    Thank you claustin. I felt like I'm the only one who sees this. If Apple make a new "cheaper" iPhone it would still have to have lesser hardware than the "top of the line" iPhone. Hence, why bother when you already produce exactly that. There is no reason or logic behind it except to make critics happy and give them validation. It would be releasing the iPhone 4 and 4s with differ names and nothing more.

    Consumers have already proven a bigger screen is not a must. When it's difficult to pull from you pocket it losses ground. When the screen is so large is can't help but break instantly when dropped it losses ground. When they can use half the apps available in the market it losses ground. When it can't get the Android updated b/c Samsung or whoever else doesn't want to support it and you have to get a new phone it losses ground. Fix these and maybe we'll see some value!

    So tired of people talking about how Android is taking over. They have a ton of phones on the market. A huge chunk of those phones a junk free phones. The kind of things frugal people who don't care about Android or software and are just replacing there old flip phone. If an Android fails huge growth you blame Apple goats and not look internally at where the software or phones lack.

    I have friends that would have never spent the money for the iPhone before and now that they have the free model they jumped on it. These are people who had Android before only b/c there was no other option and now there is. Doomsayers have been knocking Apple since day one.

    Now T-Mobile will have the iPhone which will gain once again in iOS growth and drop a ton of clunky "out dated out of the box" Androids. All the best features are limited to a single phone type and have little to do with Android aside from the ability to run the feature. Great, I can bump phones with you and send you videos ONLY IF you have the same phone. FAIL.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Nobody likes to be in jail but the only few things I miss (being non-jailbroken on iPhone 5) are NCSettings, PDANet and Facebreak. Two out of those three are illegal (per AT&T) anyway so really the only thing I miss is NCSettings.
    Perhaps you missed where they said this:
    "low-price, contract-free iPhones have been rumored about since the first model arrived in 2007"
    Those are the subsidized prices. A $200 unsubsidized device would make a killing when T-Mobile starts selling iPhones next year.

    Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Nobody likes to be in jail but the only few things I miss (being non-jailbroken on iPhone 5) are NCSettings, PDANet and Facebreak. Two out of those three are illegal (per AT&T) anyway so really the only thing I miss is NCSettings.
    Nobody likes to be in jail but the only few things I miss (being non-jailbroken on iPhone 5) are NCSettings, PDANet and Facebreak. Two out of those three are illegal (per AT&T) anyway so really the only thing I miss is NCSettings.
    Apple doesn't make the law. They aren't illegal. Worst they can do is cancel your contract.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by HomieG35 View Post
    Loving the Note 2! Now just need to sell the MBP... the iPad is worth keeping... I guess... Apple is falling behind quick.... or did they ever catch up
    My gf and I have a jailbroken iPad, a rooted GalaxyII Tab, and two jailbroken iPhones between us and to be honest the $500 iPad gets blown out of the water by the $199 Samsung while they're stock but the iPad wins hands down once you "free" it. Rooting the galaxy wasn't really that complex but for the model I have there's basically no ROMs to switch to so it was rather pointless. In my opinion Android is just too sloppy when it comes to the rooting vs jailbreaking procedure especially considering that as best I can tell (feel free to chime in Android hackers) the different ROMs such as the cyanongen mod and wildfires etc are virtually nothing more than what we i-users would call themes.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by buttamix View Post
    The phones aren't bad at all the really need to drop the price of the iPads.
    iPads and iPad Minis sell like hotcakes. There is no incentive to lower the price. I would like for NFL tickets to be $40, but the stadiums still sell out at $100-200/ticket. I won't be seeing cheap tickets anytime soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •