Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Serious Vulnerability Leaves Many Samsung Devices Open to Malware

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,367
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 144 Times in 129 Posts

    Default Serious Vulnerability Leaves Many Samsung Devices Open to Malware


    A user on the popular xda-developers forum by the name of alephzain recently reported a severe vulnerability in the Samsung Galaxy S III, Galaxy S II, Galaxy Note II, and potentially several other devices. The vulnerability could give remotely downloaded apps the ability to read user data, brick phones, or perform other malicious activities. As many people store sensitive and important data on their phones for both personal reasons as well as for work, security seems to play a very important role when it comes to making decisions of which device to buy. Seeing how such a big issue was brought up for the Android platform, it isn’t a surprise to see iOS devices becoming more popular at home and in the enterprise market.

    According to alephzain, “The good news is we can easily obtain root on these devices and the bad is there is no control over it.” Although many of the vulnerabilities that pop up require physical access to the phone, multiple developers are indicating that this newly-identified issue is far more severe as it could allow apps downloaded from the Google Play Store an easy way to exploit the devices affected. Based on another user from the popular forum by the name of supercurio, Samsung was notified of the security whole but the company has not publicly acknowledged the issue as of yet. As of right now, it isn’t clear what the risks for the users affected exactly are, but the vulnerability does seem to be gaining publicity. The user notes that “millions of vulnerable devices are out there now” as the vulnerability affects all devices with Exynos 4210 and 4412 processors that use Samsung code.

    Fortunately for Apple, iOS devices don’t seem to be affected with similar issues but one can only imagine what it must feel like to be in the shoes of those affected. Apple was previously noted as being the target for many potential hackers as malware began to surface on the iOS platform, but luckily, it was nothing as severe as what seems to be going on for the affected devices on the Android platform as of right now. If additional vulnerabilities continue to surface or if Samsung fails to respond in a timely fashion, the rate at which the iOS platform gains popularity might increase drastically going forward.

    Source: xda developers (forum) via The Verge

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

    Smeggy1234 (12-17-2012)

  3. #2
    Ach Samsung will respond with a new ad taking the piss out of apple for being secure, that'll help sort the problem! Although we could have hoped for a issue like this for iPhones might of been able to use it for a jailbreak

  4. #3
    Blackberry 10 will be the most safe.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Blackberry 10 will be the most safe.
    Lol. Fail.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to BhadKarma For This Useful Post:

    Airwaves182 (12-17-2012)

  7. #5
    Two cans and a piece of string ftw

  8. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by BhadKarma View Post
    Lol. Fail.
    Why do government agencies prefer BB then? 😧

  9. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Why do government agencies prefer BB then? 😧
    Why are government agencies throwing BBs away by the thousands and flocking to the alternatives?

  10. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    Why are government agencies throwing BBs away by the thousands and flocking to the alternatives?
    Uhh it's been like 2 years since they released a new phone and they're barely leaving? The US immigration are testing BB10. Why would they test bb10 if they were satisfied with iOS?

  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Uhh it's been like 2 years since they released a new phone and they're barely leaving? The US immigration are testing BB10. Why would they test bb10 if they were satisfied with iOS?
    I think you might need to read the dozens of articles that talk about one agency after another ditching Blackberries. Not to mention corporations abandoning BB rapidly. Government agencies are pretty much BBs last stand and they are losing ground there as well. Probably because government is usually slow to change over to alternate technology.

  12. #10
    @Airwaves182
    there is an article from a couple of weeks back, saying that one government company, I think it was the defense department, told it's employees to change their company issued BB for iPhone 5.

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
    @Airwaves182
    there is an article from a couple of weeks back, saying that one government company, I think it was the defense department, told it's employees to change their company issued BB for iPhone 5.
    Also @airwaves: Doing a search for 'government dropping blackberry' will bring up many examples all over the world. US Immigration was one of the few exceptions.

  14. #12
    i thought this was an apple product website? this article is literally here just for bashing on Android and to make the iOS "Shine" brightly

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to deltabell For This Useful Post:

    Airwaves182 (12-17-2012)

  16. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,441
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 185 Times in 145 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabell View Post
    i thought this was an apple product website? this article is literally here just for bashing on Android and to make the iOS "Shine" brightly
    You're allowed bash others but not Apple. Crazy rules I know but that's MMi for ya. It's not a free and open forum

  17. #14
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    170
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    DEC 21, Apple will launch a virus and destroy all summing phones

  18. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Blackberry 10 will be the most safe.
    It's a fail before it even hits the limited devices it will be installed on! Why? Cause its years late!

  19. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by deltabell View Post
    i thought this was an apple product website? this article is literally here just for bashing on Android and to make the iOS "Shine" brightly

    reporting on a massive security hole, in the kernel is now bashing. MMI does the same thing when a vulnerability is around for iOS too so you know. (usually means a new jailbreak has gotten another piece to it's puzzle)
    My iPhone 4 Mod Flickr Stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54754025@N07/

  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by deltabell View Post
    i thought this was an apple product website? this article is literally here just for bashing on Android and to make the iOS "Shine" brightly
    ModMyi doesn't report everything Android, but if there is an issue as big as an exploit affecting as much as millions of devices, then I would be surprised if they didn't post it.

    Back to the actual topic, I think the user should have contacted Android company directly, opposed to leaking the information on a public forum. It would have given hackers a less chance of actually finding it, where as now, the guy on the android forums basically gave them the location and a guide.

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by revblaze View Post
    ModMyi doesn't report everything Android, but if there is an issue as big as an exploit affecting as much as millions of devices, then I would be surprised if they didn't post it.

    Back to the actual topic, I think the user should have contacted Android company directly, opposed to leaking the information on a public forum. It would have given hackers a less chance of actually finding it, where as now, the guy on the android forums basically gave them the location and a guide.
    Good point.

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseDegenerate View Post
    reporting on a massive security hole, in the kernel is now bashing. MMI does the same thing when a vulnerability is around for iOS too so you know. (usually means a new jailbreak has gotten another piece to it's puzzle)
    i would agree with you if there was more news regarding android

  23. #20
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK.
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    iOS and Android aren't necessarily more vulnerable than BB, it's just that they are more popular. If a hacker is faced with spending countless hours developing malware for a particular phone OS and searching for vulnerabilities then they will be focussing on the OS's with the most users - simple logic really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •