+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Serious Vulnerability Leaves Many Samsung Devices Open to Malware

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by deltabell i thought this was an apple product website? this article is literally here just for bashing on Android and to make the iOS "Shine" brightly I
    My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deltabell View Post
    i thought this was an apple product website? this article is literally here just for bashing on Android and to make the iOS "Shine" brightly
    I was actually gonna switch teams today. After years of only iPhones I was going to try the Note 2. This article was very helpful to me personally as i now reminder of why I choose iPhone. I'm staying with Apple......for now

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Why do government agencies prefer BB then? 😧
    They don't. Enough said.
    I live in Kitchener Waterloo... RIMS
    Home land... And admit BB FAILURE.
    get used to it lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Shouldn't this be a Google problem and not a Samsung issue? Google make the Android OS afterall.

And Akshay...iOS market share is shrinking. For many months now. Android and in particular Samsungs share is growing.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 12-17-2012 at 10:01 AM.

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Shouldn't this be a Google problem and not a Samsung issue? Google make the Android OS afterall.
    Exactly, is an OS level issue, not something I would imagine a hardware vendor has much, if any, control over, so I am not sure why this article focus on just one hardware vendor.

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

Correct me if im wrong but isnt the "processor" considered hardware?

So far, Alephzain has confirmed that the Galaxy S II, III, Note II and the Meizu MX are at risk, but notes that the exploit might work on any device running a Exynos 4210 or 4412 processor

Taken from engadget.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shigh For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (12-17-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Too late to leave
    Why do government agencies prefer BB then? 
    Agencies like this have their entire infrastructure built around things like this. Blackberry got nestled in real nice in these areas by being the first to offer something of that magnitude. Same with Microsoft and windows. It takes time to filter all of that out and make a switch. It's not like an individual going down to AT&T and picking out a new phone. BB will slowly see it's end over the next year or two.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shigh View Post
    Correct me if im wrong but isnt the "processor" considered hardware?

So far, Alephzain has confirmed that the Galaxy S II, III, Note II and the Meizu MX are at risk, but notes that the exploit might work on any device running a Exynos 4210 or 4412 processor

Taken from engadget.
    Just because only specific hardware is affected does not make it a hardware security hole. If they can somehow patch it with software it's a software problem and just something that was overlooked.

Thanks

I bet Samsung considers this a feature rather than a bug...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to aidanharris For This Useful Post:

scroogelives (12-17-2012)

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Just because only specific hardware is affected does not make it a hardware security hole. If they can somehow patch it with software it's a software problem and just something that was overlooked.
    It's a gray area until the security professionals get their hands on it to dissect it.

It may not be patchable, then again, maybe it is. The limera1n exploit for the A4 and older devices cannot be patched via software, as it is a hardware exploit. It would be interesting to see if this security issue in these devices falls under the same non-patchable category.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colwood's Avatar
    Thanks

Two thoughts . One is that android Arguably has always had malware exploits or whenever you want to call them My second thought is related to the comment section BlackBerry 10 actually looks amazing I'm not sure if it's going to save rim or research in motion personally but it does look amazing maybe you should YouTube it

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    You're allowed bash others but not Apple. Crazy rules I know but that's MMi for ya. It's not a free and open forum
    Yeah that's true! No one ever bashes on apple here! For someone who acts like they know the rules they really don't know what happens here.

Also blackberry is not nearly close to being what it used to. It's fallen to rock bottom. Trying to defend yourself by saying the government is testing it, is ridiculous! They are trying Nokias, samsungs, iPhones and way more. They are constantly testing.

There is no "phone" the government uses. Office phones are iPhones a lot now but they are using indestructible androids in the military.

Just because a phone is safe doesn't mean the government will use it. If they are worried about someone hacking directly to the phone and not it's clients (like gmail) than they will definitely be adding their own tech.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Blackberry 10 will be the most safe.
    Aye, just like a computer that isn't connected to any networks, the BB 10 will be the most safe because it will never work properly.

Thanks

Why do government agencies prefer BB then? 😧
    They can't afford to switch yet... Fiscal cliff!!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    I was actually gonna switch teams today. After years of only iPhones I was going to try the Note 2. This article was very helpful to me personally as i now reminder of why I choose iPhone. I'm staying with Apple......for now
    Samsung however will release a patch very quickly. Apple however would take forever to put out a patch so they could include ways to block a jailbreak and to downplay that its a vulerability. Plus, my phone is rooted and rom'd. Buy an S3, beautiful phone and no issue.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What isn't mentioned is that The Droid community already had a fix for this hours after it was discovered. In short, it involves a chmod on a /dev/exynoz-mem.

Anyone here who bashes Android for this is missing the larger picture. As a result of a totally open OS and platform, we managed to isolate a problem and strengthen our OS, as well as give our manufacturers a heads up on avoiding this in the future.

Just remember...the close nature of iOS, and the lack of a jailbreak just means that problems will be harder to find and patch on iOS, and only Apple can really pake those patches.

While this should never of happened in the first place, we have it patched. iOS is still looking for a jailbreak.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    What isn't mentioned is that The Droid community already had a fix for this hours after it was discovered. In short, it involves a chmod on a /dev/exynoz-mem.

Anyone here who bashes Android for this is missing the larger picture. As a result of a totally open OS and platform, we managed to isolate a problem and strengthen our OS, as well as give our manufacturers a heads up on avoiding this in the future.

Just remember...the close nature of iOS, and the lack of a jailbreak just means that problems will be harder to find and patch on iOS, and only Apple can really pake those patches.

While this should never of happened in the first place, we have it patched. iOS is still looking for a jailbreak.
    Correct on that it was pacthed by the community. But should also be noted that majority of people don't know that much about that to do it. Just like iOS when situations like this come up there would be a wide audience that will be unpatched till official patch comes out. And even then some people just brush off patches. I know some people that had no clue 6.0 existed lol.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12