+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Delete Contact' Makes it Easier Than Ever to Delete iOS Contacts

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 760 Posts

Default 'Delete Contact' Makes it Easier Than Ever to Delete iOS Contacts

One of the most horrific experiences in iOS ever has to be going through your contacts and removing ones that you don’t need anymore. iOS requires that you go into the individual contact cards and scroll all the way down to find a delete button. It’s a very cumbersome, one-at-a-time process, and it’s just way too annoying.

A new jailbreak tweak dubbed Delete Contact by iOS development firm Expin Systems makes deleting contact cards the way it should be – Easy and iOS-like!

First of all, you’ll now be able to select multiple contact cards at once from your Contacts application, and you’ll notice a new Trash Can button at the top right of your display, which can be tapped to delete all of these contacts at once without having to go into them individually:

As you select a number of contacts, the amount you select will appear as a numeric badge on the Trash Can button in real time. When you tap on the Trash Can button, the tweak will prompt you, telling you that you’re about to delete the selected contacts, and confirm with you that you’re absolutely sure you want to delete them. This fail-safe helps prevent accidental deletions.

Delete Contact also gives you the ability to swipe on contacts to delete them from the Contact application. This feature seems to be everywhere else in iOS, so it’s weird that Apple didn’t include it in the Contacts application. Now, you can simply swipe left or right on a contact name and a Delete button will appear, allowing you to simply remove that single contact from your list:

The tweak comes with just a few options to configure from the Settings application:

The first option allows you to enable and disable the tweak on demand. The next block of options allows you to enable or disable the following features:
    • Swipe to delete
    • Group delete
    • Confirmation message for group delete

Under the miscellaneous button, you can activate your copy of Delete Contact, as it uses a built-in Anti-piracy measure. The tweak will be free from the BigBoss repository, however you will have to get your copy registered for 99 in order to use it. That being said, this is a paid tweak.

Delete Contact is compatible with every iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad running iOS 4, iOS 5, and iOS 6.

While the functionality is wonderfully useful and welcome, the cost for the ability to simply delete a contact from a list just seems out of place. So we're giving the tweak 4 out of 5 Apples.

Name: Delete Contact
    Price: 99
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 4+
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Expin Systems
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

dumb_clock (12-17-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Much needed tweak!

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

Much needed tweak. This is going on my phone for sure.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I disagree!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnytucats View Post
    I disagree!
    With what?

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

Haters gonna hate I love the tweak tried it on my 4s and works wonderful

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 2k1 For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (12-16-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't see how it's that hard to scroll through see who you need to delete.
    Edit scroll down fast delete, though I guess for those who have tons of numbers for no reason it's handy? Not by much though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post
    I don't see how it's that hard to scroll through see who you need to delete.
    Edit scroll down fast delete, though I guess for those who have tons of numbers for no reason it's handy? Not by much though.
    In my opinion, the way it is set up stock, it doesn't match Apple's design principles. You should be able to swipe to delete, at least. It's in nearly every other application: Messages, Notes, Phone, and many others.

For whatever reason, Contacts does not have this feature. Design calls for consistency throughout. I think the multi-select feature is just icing on the cake.

My iPhone is a Part of Me primalscream.40's Avatar
    Thanks

Erase contacts was working up to ios5.1.1 don't know if it's up to ios6 an it's free

Thanks
    Thanked 3,866 Times in 2,206 Posts

I just login in to icloud go to contacts
    Hold command key down and select all the ones i want and then hit delete.

I agree with Anthony there should be a swipe to delete option

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    In my opinion, the way it is set up stock, it doesn't match Apple's design principles. You should be able to swipe to delete, at least. It's in nearly every other application: Messages, Notes, Phone, and many others.

For whatever reason, Contacts does not have this feature. Design calls for consistency throughout. I think the multi-select feature is just icing on the cake.
    I could not agree more!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Very nice tweak! Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    How did you delete all contacts from iPhone? And do you have the duplicates on the phone or on the actual iCloud account when you sign in to the website with the help of iPhone Data Eraser?

If they're on the phone alone you may be syncing the same list of contacts from two different places (i.e. iCloud and some email account) and if you delete them manually from the phone they'll show up again later. Check under settings>mail contacts and calendars to see if you're syncing contacts from any of your email accounts. If you are, log into those accounts on the computer and see if the list of contacts is the same that you have on, say, your iCloud account. If it is, you can go on the phone and turn off contacts syncing under that particular email address. It will tell you that it'll delete the contacts from the phone, but that's what you're going to want.
    Last edited by millysili; 01-02-2014 at 05:19 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,665 Times in 5,930 Posts

^ Awesome, this one is a newer thread.