+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chitika: iOS 6 Adoption Increased a Measly 0.2% Following Google Maps App Release

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Chitika: iOS 6 Adoption Increased a Measly 0.2% Following Google Maps App Release

There was a whole lot of buzz from Apple users saying that they would only upgrade to Apple’s iOS 6 mobile operating system when Google released their Google Maps application in the App Store, because these users didn’t want to deal with Apple’s “inaccurate” Maps application in iOS 6.

Recent statistics from Chitika seem to show that these claims were mostly empty, as following the Google Maps application launch just this week, iOS 6 adoption has only increased not even 0.2%. It was once assumed that many people were staying on iOS 5.1.1 for the mere fact that iOS 5 still offered the Google Maps version of Apple’s Maps application rather than the new TomTom-based maps that Apple designed.

Google Maps can also be installed on iOS 5.1.1, which is the firmware of the latest untethered jailbreak for iOS devices. This means many people are sticking with iOS 5.1.1 just to reap the benefits of the untethered jailbreak and the ability to use the new Google Maps application on this firmware.

However, not everyone jailbreaks their iOS devices, so what’s the hold up on upgrading? Some speculation aims the barrel at the fact that people just don’t see any major benefit in upgrading to iOS 6 because there weren’t that many new features in Apple’s most recent major upgrade. Combined with the fact Google Maps can be installed on iOS 5.1.1, people probably just felt that they’d stay where they were.

How many of you have upgraded to iOS 6 since the launch of the Google Maps application in the App Store this week?

Sources: Chitika via TechCrunch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 839 Posts

I'm certainly not updating - aside from losing my jailbreak, iOS 6 didn't add anything worth updating for (it just took away some apps and replaced them with broken counterparts), and updating is always a hassle.

But I'm also on an iPod Touch 4 - when I upgraded to 5.1 I saw a 25% reduction in performance or so. iOS 6 would probably make it combust.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I'm certainly not updating - aside from losing my jailbreak, iOS 6 didn't add anything worth updating for (it just took away some apps and replaced them with broken counterparts), and updating is always a hassle.
    +1

Green Apple
    Thanks

Most people do work during the week. I'm not surprised people aren't taking the time to download a huge update immediately.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Morons who say they are waiting for ONE app as to when they will update their device are just that: MORONS. Especially a map app which has plenty of viable and free alternatives. Given they are morons, they most likely "accidentally" updated or assumed a jailbreak would be available before the Google Maps app was release. This is because they forgot/didn't know iOS 5 wasn't jailbroken for A4/A5 devices until Jan 2012, approximately 3 months after the launch of iOS5. And finally, "a whole lot of buzz from Apple users" isn't quantifiable.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 858 Posts

I just deterred a coworker (not jailbroken) from updating cuz I feel like the GMaps.app isn't as good as the iOS 5.x version.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The genius of it all was that Google never put turn by turn for iOS until now, haha and the funnier thing is iOS users never used Google Maps because it never had turn by turn. Street View is pretty awesome though, but 99% of the time I'll use Apple Maps for everything else, since I don't need public transportation, and I yet to have driving direction hiccups.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    +1
    +2! Stock iOS is Laaaaaaame! And there are 1,001 jailbreak app reasons why. Sayin...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STM127 View Post
    Morons who say they are waiting for ONE app as to when they will update their device are just that: MORONS. Especially a map app which has plenty of viable and free alternatives. Given they are morons, they most likely "accidentally" updated or assumed a jailbreak would be available before the Google Maps app was release. This is because they forgot/didn't know iOS 5 wasn't jailbroken for A4/A5 devices until Jan 2012, approximately 3 months after the launch of iOS5. And finally, "a whole lot of buzz from Apple users" isn't quantifiable.
    HOW NICE! It makes you feel good to insult people because of their preferences no matter how minor? You know what need? MORE ON your plate! Because you obviously have no compassion for those less tech savvy than you!

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Ya wanna see iOS6 adoption? Wait for the jailbreak to drop (still hoping) and then you'll see a huge rise.
    I will stick with my 4S on 5.1.1 till that happens. Until then, no iOS6 or iPhone 5.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    Most people do work during the week. I'm not surprised people aren't taking the time to download a huge update immediately.
    +1 thank you! A lot of people have better things to do than update their iPhone, let alone even know the second Google release their Maps app. People have lives outside of Apple - crazy I know but some people do...

Banned
    Thanks

Its going to take a lot more than just Google Maps to save the iPhone. I think people are now waiting for IOS7 as IOS6 is the biggest flop Apple have released until iTunes 11 came out.

I never liked Steve Jobs and what he did with the iPhone but since he's gone its gotten worse.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Ya wanna see iOS6 adoption? Wait for the jailbreak to drop (still hoping) and then you'll see a huge rise.
    I will stick with my 4S on 5.1.1 till that happens. Until then, no iOS6 or iPhone 5.
    Thats the survey they should do when IOS6 jailbreak comes out. But as it looks like it will never come out I think people are just annoyed with the iPhone and Apple so they are moving to Android. I'm still using iPhone 4 but not thinking of upgrading to another Apple device.
    Last edited by StanSmith; 12-15-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks

I have the new Google Maps app but haven't had a chance to actually use it yet. The new Apple Maps app works great for me. I think the whole thing was blown way outta proportion anyway. A few glitches, YouTube videos and Internet articles later, and iOS maps is akin to the end of the world....I highly doubt that iOS 6 maps has anything to do with iOS 6 adoption rate...jailbreak yes, but not maps. That and jailbreakers don't want to lose all their precious pirated apps...oh and themes and tweaks...yeah right...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    All I want to know is when iOS6 Jailbreak Will be released . There officially taking the piss now ....it's taking way too long !!!!

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by digzz View Post
    All I want to know is when iOS6 Jailbreak Will be released . There officially taking the piss now ....it's taking way too long !!!!
    There is literally no ETA on an untethered iOS 6 jailbreak at this point in time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by STM127 View Post
    Actually iOS5 was jailbroken in December.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

These sources show a growing increase in iOS 6 adoption since Google Maps. Uses MoPub data which monitors multiple Ad networks as opposed to Chitika's 1 ad network, making it far more reliable and clear that iOS 6 adoption grew 29% in just a few days after Google Maps was released.
    Will MMi write a follow up article to show this? Probably not.
    Google Maps 'spurs iOS 6 upgrades' - Telegraph
    iOS 6 Adoption Grows 29% Over The Weekend As People Finally Update After Google Maps Arrives | TechCrunch
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 12-19-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    These sources show a growing increase in iOS 6 adoption since Google Maps. Uses MoPub data which monitors multiple Ad networks as opposed to Chitika's 1 ad network, making it far more reliable and clear that iOS 6 adoption grew 29% in just a few days after Google Maps was released.
    Will MMi write a follow up article to show this? Probably not.
    Google Maps 'spurs iOS 6 upgrades' - Telegraph
    iOS 6 Adoption Grows 29% Over The Weekend As People Finally Update After Google Maps Arrives | TechCrunch
    +1 was just about to write something similar until I saw your post.