+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: You Can Use Siri to Get Directions in the Google Maps App, Here's How

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
One of the biggest beefs with Google’s new Google Maps application is that it doesn't make the perfect iOS Maps application replacement because you can’t use Siri to get directions
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 808 Posts

Default You Can Use Siri to Get Directions in the Google Maps App, Here's How

One of the biggest beefs with Google’s new Google Maps application is that it doesn't make the perfect iOS Maps application replacement because you can’t use Siri to get directions through Google Maps… or can you?

Yes folks, as it turns out, you can indeed get directions in the new Google Maps app right through Siri, and since we've been getting so many questions as to how to do it, we’re going to show you how.

If you want Siri to bring you to Google Maps each time you want directions instead of Apple’s Maps, all you have to do is say "via transit" or "by transit" when you ask for directions, and Siri will let you pick from a list of transit applications, such as Google Maps, and then route the directions in the application you choose. Check it out:

Step 1: Begin by asking Siri how to get somewhere via transit. You can just ask how to get somewhere, or you can ask how to get from one location to another:

Step 2: You will now be prompted to select the application with transit support that you want to use. You can select Google Maps if you prefer to by tapping on the Route button just to the right of the application:

Step 3: Google Maps will now find several routes that you can pick from. Just select the one that is most convenient to you:

Step 4: Google Maps will route out the route that you queried through Siri. No Apple Maps involved:

Note: If you choose to ask how to get from your current location to another location, Google Maps will give you turn by turn navigation. If you choose to ask how to get from some other location to another location, Google Maps will only show you how to get there, but will not have turn by turn navigation, just as shown above.

Enjoy using Siri to navigate with the new Google Maps app!

Sources: Beau Giles via Steve Troughton Smith
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-14-2012 at 10:19 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

This still doesn't give us turn by turn navigation, nor does it show your current location and route on the lock screen. It also does utilize your contacts addresses, which is huge for me.i would rather have my destination off by 1/2 mile and have those feature I spoke about included, rather than use the current google maps. I would've loved all of apples features with the old google maps app, but I understand there were licensing issues.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    This still doesn't give us turn by turn navigation, nor does it show your current location and route on the lock screen. It also does utilize your contacts addresses, which is huge for me.i would rather have my destination off by 1/2 mile and have those feature I spoke about included, rather than use the current google maps. I would've loved all of apples features with the old google maps app, but I understand there were licensing issues.
    It does give you turn by turn navigation if you ask "How do I get to (enter location here) via transit?" because it uses your location that way.

In my example, I asked how to get from one location to another. Please read the note at the end.

Thanks

The key part of that whole phrase is "via transit". If you don't say "via transit" it will revert to Apple Maps every time. Even though I read the article I was leaving it out until I re-read it. Thanks for the tip. I hate Apple Maps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by epiticus1 View Post
    The key part of that whole phrase is "via transit". If you don't say "via transit" it will revert to Apple Maps every time. Even though I read the article I was leaving it out until I re-read it. Thanks for the tip. I hate Apple Maps.
    Yes sir! "Via transit" is a very important part of that query.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (12-15-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Google Maps app works if you lock or background the app which is plenty well. I have been using it to map random places and even go the wrong way just for the redirecting. I love it.

Thanks

"via transit" is awesome. Works for Waze and Navigon as well. I've been using the crazy Apple Maps because I didn't know I could voice activate the other navigation apps.

Thanks a ton!

Green Apple
    Thanks

You can also just say 'by transit' instead of 'via transit'
    Download My Bliss Weather Mod for LowerAW: http://www.mediafire.com/?pelfb6v1imjfrm6

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rylax26 View Post
    You can also just say 'by transit' instead of 'via transit'
    Yes, there are probably multiple ways it could be said.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Yes, there are probably multiple ways it could be said.
    Wouldn't "by transit" imply that you want bus and train transportation?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shigoroku View Post
    Siri logic is Siri logic. Lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shigoroku View Post
    Exactly. And since apple maps doesn't do transit, it lets you choose from a list of apps, including Google Maps. Choose that, then choose the Driving icon. See step 3.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

It's just more accurate to manually select google maps.
    Many times when I try SIRI she gets the spelling or street name wrong. (Example circle instead of street, etc.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    It's just more accurate to manually select google maps.
    Many times when I try SIRI she gets the spelling or street name wrong. (Example circle instead of street, etc.)
    You just need to work on your pronunciation.

Try "She sells sea-shells by the seashore." Another good phrase to practise with is "The quick brown Fox jumps over the lazy dog."

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow...not a smart thing to do if you live in a city with roads and streets reserved for buses, or God forbid, LRT. You know Siri sucks when you find yourself druving on train tracks playing chicken with a train.

Forget that, if I am in my car, and I start driving on transit only roads, it is a criminal offence. Get it together iDrones...

Another fail for Apple. Hopefully, there will be a jailbreak for iOS6 to allow...oh wait...nevermind.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I see why Fandroids call you guys sheep, because you believe anything and everything... Apple Maps is pretty awesome, and I use it almost everyday and it never steers me wrong. the 6 images of bad mapping that we be seen on the web hardly constitute that it's a crappy app. Although StreetView is pretty awesome, there no a actual reason to use anything but Apple Maps, since you don't have to Jump through hoops to integrate it with your contacts at all. but I will use both for it's different strengthens and weaknesses.

Thanks
    Thanks for the tips.

Thanks

Hmmm. Does this NOT work on iOS 5? I know, I know, I'm not forced to use Apple's Maps on iOS 5, but running the old maps next to the new Google app and it's easy to see: the new one's way better.
    I always thought the term "early adopter" (regarding tech) was a bit snooty. So, I'll go ahead and call myself an early adopter, cuz I'm feeling a bit snooty.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rocketApe View Post
    Hmmm. Does this NOT work on iOS 5? I know, I know, I'm not forced to use Apple's Maps on iOS 5, but running the old maps next to the new Google app and it's easy to see: the new one's way better.
    I have no iOS 5 devices with Siri on them to confirm this, however it's possible that it's iOS 6 only.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,869 Times in 6,032 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Yes sir! "Via transit" is a very important part of that query.
    How the heck did you figure that out? I love this feature, I use NAVIGON (as I paid the big bucks years ago and love it too) but now being able to access it via Siri is awesome. Thanks Anthony.

a bit off topic, excuse me.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (12-16-2012)