Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Maps for iOS Officially Available in the App Store

Default Google Maps for iOS Officially Available in the App Store

After all of that waiting, iOS 6 users can now get the beloved Google Maps back on their iOS devices without having to go through Mobile Safari, as can anyone else with an iOS device running iOS 5.1 or higher. The official Google Maps application is now available in the App Store for free from Google.

Google Maps brings Google’s own well-recognized maps, including turn-by-turn voice navigation, street view, bus, train, subway, and walking routes, live traffic information, and much more. Many of these features weren’t even available in the iOS 5 version of Google Maps.

The voice navigation uses the same voice you’ll hear in the Google Search application when you invoke Google Now, and it’s very much like Apple’s Maps’ voice navigation. You’ll get some important street information at the top of the display, and at the bottom, you’ll find the total distance to get from point A to point B and the ability to cancel the navigation. There's also a little compass, much like in Apple's Maps application.

The three dots at the bottom of the display indicate a menu that can be opened to enable traffic information, public transit information, Satellite view, and open Google Earth (if you have it installed).

The Google Maps application will also allow users to sync their mapping information between their mobile devices and their computer. This makes it easy to begin on the computer and continue your navigation on the go – where you will need it the most. Like Apple's Maps application, Google Maps will also display ratings for businesses and restaurants that you search for as well.

The Google Maps application is free and can be downloaded from the App Store from this link.

Can anyone say "finally?!"

Sources: App Store

Removed apple maps and replaced with this. Amazing Job google did

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This was well played by Google. Deny Apple the improvements they requested, then after consumer complaint, add those same improvements and come out looking clean. Some will call it shady business, others will call it brilliant. Either way Google came out on top here.

I still contend that when I got the chance to use it, Apple Maps worked fine. But at the moment, Google has the superior product. Hats off to em

4. The Following User Says Thank You to trek-life For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (12-13-2012)

I'm downloading this but I'm not removing Apple's Maps. I've been on a business trip in Manila for three months and as crazy as the streets and traffic are here, Apple Maps has worked surprisingly well for me. It's been a lifesaver when I take taxis because drivers here are crooks. They take you around the world to extract a higher fare. I look at Maps and even give them direction. They think I know the place so they don't even try their tricks.

Thanks

How did you move Apple Maps? i thought it was a Native App of iOS? BUT i downloaded it & I LOVE Google Maps always loved Google Maps.

Can't seem to find street view and the ui is shocking:

Old app:

New app:

Thanks for the early Christmas present Google. It will be going in the corner there with those socks I'll never wear...

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the accidently-shake-your-phone-to-send-feedback feature?
    Last edited by aidanharris; 12-13-2012 at 04:52 AM.

For me, this is fantastic and welcomed news. I'm jailbroken on my 4s and now finally have free turn-by-turn navigation. From what I've seen, it's terrific so far!

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    Can't seem to find street view and the ui is shocking:

Old app:

New app:

Thanks for the early Christmas present Google. It will be going in the corner there with those socks I'll never wear...

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the accidently-shake-your-phone-to-send-feedback feature?
    Both those screenshots are still better then Apple maps haha you fail

It's only for iOS6 now. Showing me to upgrade my iOS...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Woohoo. Great to have a Maps App back that actually finds results and doesn't have glaring incorrect map data, and works outside of the U.S.

Street view is, presumably, where it's always been, just click on the orange man in the first pic.

Does anyone know if this app uses vector graphics? Has the JB tweak been released yet to make this the default mapping app?

I have to wait until I get home before I can download this - cant use wifi in my new job and already gone over my data cap!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

"Shake to Send" was the 2nd thing I turned OFF. First was "Help Google blah blah blah".

I can't find "Street View" neither.

I hate the web-app looking drop pin.

You dont see the map while using navigation on lock screen but you still get the alert when a turn is coming.

Keeping Google Maps as a 2nd option.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Street view is, presumably, where it's always been, just click on the orange man in the first pic.
    The orange man is in the old Google Maps.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rvance's Avatar
    Thanks

All I can say is wow!!! Thank you google. The best thing since "been pimpin"

Street view is accessed by pressing or sliding up the address bar on the bottom after you select an area on the map (drop pin)

What about iPad !!!!!!

STREET VIEW: PULL UP FROM BOTTOM OF SCREEN!
    I did a search on Golden Gate Bridge and it gives you a address bar at the bottom, swipe up and street view is in a box in that view!
    Last edited by trialnterror; 12-13-2012 at 07:09 AM.

would be nice if google would load addresses clicked from email or safari instead of copy/paste. also would be nice if it integrated to the address book. oh well, at least it's back to some extent.

If you don't see the address bar at the bottom tap on the screen.

Two problems. First- it won't save Bookmarked Locations unless you sign into a Google Account. The Apple Maps app allows you to save Bookmarks within the App.

Second- no integration with the Apple Contacts app, so you can't just click on a Contact to get directions there.

Sorry but I'm simply not going to log into Google and take the time to recreate my Bookmarked Addresses and Contacts their way.

Overall I prefer the Apple Maps app.
    Last edited by Kupe; 12-13-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Does anyone know if this app uses vector graphics? Has the JB tweak been released yet to make this the default mapping app?

I have to wait until I get home before I can download this - cant use wifi in my new job and already gone over my data cap!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

For street press where you want to see street view. When you see the drop pin an address will appear at the bottom. Click the address and you can select street view there.

Quote Originally Posted by tyroneworster View Post
    It's only for iOS6 now. Showing me to upgrade my iOS...
    There's a way to trick Apple Store into believing you're already on iOS 6 if you're jailbroken on a 4S. I did this before and got the newest Pages version for iOS 5 when I was still on 4.2.8 Jailbroken. But darned if I can remember how to do it now. Of course there's no guarantee that the new Google Maps app will work on 5.1.1.. That's the disclaimer. For what it's worth Pages for 5 worked perfectly on iOS 4.2.8.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast