Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Maps for iOS Officially Available in the App Store

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    There's a way to trick Apple Store into believing you're already on iOS 6 if you're jailbroken on a 4S. I did this before and got the newest Pages version for iOS 5 when I was still on 4.2.8 Jailbroken. But darned if I can remember how to do it now. Of course there's no guarantee that the new Google Maps app will work on 5.1.1.. That's the disclaimer. For what it's worth Pages for 5 worked perfectly on iOS 4.2.8.
    I am jailbroken on 5.1.1 on my iPhone 4S, and had absolutely no issues downloading the new Google maps. I didn't have to use any special tweaks or tricks.

There's a way to trick Apple Store into believing you're already on iOS 6 if you're jailbroken on a 4S. I did this before and got the newest Pages version for iOS 5 when I was still on 4.2.8 Jailbroken. But darned if I can remember how to do it now. Of course there's no guarantee that the new Google Maps app will work on 5.1.1.. That's the disclaimer. For what it's worth Pages for 5 worked perfectly on iOS 4.2.8.
    Changing the ProductVersion in SystemVersion.plist would do that but it's really not recommended.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Changing the ProductVersion in SystemVersion.plist would do that but it's really not recommended.
    Or needed. You can download this without any issues at all.

It would be nice if there is street view while navigating like in droid

I have not once had problems with my apple maps. Bloggers are making this a bigger deal then what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Itchybums View Post
    I have not once had problems with my apple maps. Bloggers are making this a bigger deal then what it is.
    You presumably live in the USA? And don't use satellite view? Or live in one of the areas where it actually works and obviously don't use StreetView.

Here in the UK the maps are useless - but even if they fix the maps, the satellite view is 'patchy' at best and street view on Apple Maps is non existent.

To take away features lots of people use was not a good idea, especially as the maps, outside the USA are often very inaccurate. Just because something works in the way tou use it, where you are does not mean it works for everyone, everywhere.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

rickuk (12-13-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone DoWoRkSoN's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Street View Image
    Street view in the new google maps app works just fine. All you have to do is swipe up and you'll get the option for street view. I hope that helps...

You just have to swipe up inside the app to get to Street View when looking up an address.-image.png
    Last edited by DoWoRkSoN; 12-13-2012 at 09:12 AM.

A feature that needs to be integrated from the default iOS Compass.app:
    It shows you the direction you are facing in real time, and I don't know if many people know about it. You have open the compass app first and hit the GPS button which then takes you into the Maps.app

I love the new app, voice navigation on my iPhone 4
    Follow me on twitter @The_KnightWing

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is awesome. Works perfectly.
    Same username on: hondatech, 7thgenhonda, clubrsx, orlandoforums, civicforums

unlucky it doesnt support iOS 5.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    For street press where you want to see street view. When you see the drop pin an address will appear at the bottom. Click the address and you can select street view there.
    Thanks for sharing. It isn't exactly obvious like it is in the old maps app...

Quote Originally Posted by sknet View Post
    unlucky it doesnt support iOS 5.0.1
    I won't discuss how to install it but here's its ipa:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/e6ccit
    Last edited by aidanharris; 12-13-2012 at 11:01 AM.

The requirements say it's for ios 5.1 or later, there is no need to trick it, but of course if you are on ios 4, then you will need to trick it to do anything.

anyone know if I can move all my saved addresses from Maps to Google Maps?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You presumably live in the USA? And don't use satellite view? Or live in one of the areas where it actually works and obviously don't use StreetView.

Here in the UK the maps are useless - but even if they fix the maps, the satellite view is 'patchy' at best and street view on Apple Maps is non existent.

To take away features lots of people use was not a good idea, especially as the maps, outside the USA are often very inaccurate. Just because something works in the way tou use it, where you are does not mean it works for everyone, everywhere.
    Thus the same for those that it doesn't work for, right?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to trek-life For This Useful Post:

runey71 (12-13-2012)

Well I used it last nite to route me home and it wasn't that accurate. It said my house was half a mile more down the street and on the opposite side of the street think I will stick with apple maps till google fixes this issue.

A tweak idea for any devs taking note. Navigate to a place in Google Maps using Siri...

Quote Originally Posted by trek-life View Post
    Thus the same for those that it doesn't work for, right?
    Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by trialnterror View Post
    Street view is accessed by pressing or sliding up the address bar on the bottom after you select an area on the map (drop pin)

What about iPad !!!!!!

STREET VIEW: PULL UP FROM BOTTOM OF SCREEN!
    I did a search on Golden Gate Bridge and it gives you a address bar at the bottom, swipe up and street view is in a box in that view!
    I have a neat trick for those jailbroken users wanting full Google Maps on iPad. Navigate to root/applications in iFile, find the google maps app, open the info.plist in the Google Maps.app folder and change the UIDevice Family from 1 to 2. voila!! Full screen google maps! Works so well it looks native!

Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
    The requirements say it's for ios 5.1 or later, there is no need to trick it, but of course if you are on ios 4, then you will need to trick it to do anything.

anyone know if I can move all my saved addresses from Maps to Google Maps?
    Great!! Getting it now!!
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

I do live in the USA but I travel a lot for business. I have not had the chance to see if it works overseas but what I do know is that while overseas google maps did not work for me in Europe so I invested in the TomTom App 3 years ago and I have been completely happy. Out of all the map options I have had on my phone. Apple beats everyone hands down. I am glad to see everyone complaining though. That way they make the app perfect and get the bugs out. That way I can free up some space on my phone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast