+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Schmidt: Android is Winning The War Against Apple

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Schmidt: Android is Winning The War Against Apple

Android is winning the war for mobile against Apple.

If you think these sound like fighting words between fans in iOS and Android camps, you're not alone. But Google's chairman Eric Schmidt started the war of words today by making the bold claim in a new interview with Bloomberg.

The provocative comments included Schmidt's assertion that Android is pulling ahead of Apple in the mobile-software market "at a rate that compares with Microsoft’s expansion in desktop software in the 1990s."

Of course, it's not like Schmidt didn't offer some compelling evidence to back up his argument. Android, after all, claimed 72 percent of the smartphone market in the third quarter pf 2012. Apple in comparison retained only 14 percent. Independently, Gartner reports that customers are activating well over 1.3 million Android devices a day.

“This is a huge platform change; this is of the scale of 20 years ago -- Microsoft versus Apple,” Schmidt said. “We’re winning that war pretty clearly now.”

So far, Apple is yet to offer formal comments in response.

Source: Bloomberg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

Stop talking schit Schmidt.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Stop talking schit Schmidt.
    He might be right. But then, so what? Somebody has to win, that's the nature of life.
    M$ is winning the desktop war too, it just so happens that I prefer Apple.

Thanks

And in the uk you can buy a sim free android phone for £39! This does not mean people are choosing android over iOS it only means people are buying cheap phones often when they have broken their main phone to tie then over

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scroogelives For This Useful Post:

Jokadaking (12-12-2012), MXCO (12-12-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    And in the uk you can buy a sim free android phone for £39! This does not mean people are choosing android over iOS it only means people are buying cheap phones often when they have broken their main phone to tie then over
    Really, if it were me, I'd just get a dumb phone in the interim. I think people go Android as it's more competitive than Apple and there's more choice.

Thanks

It is normal two win as Schmidt say, when your platform goes on all cheap smartphones on the market. Most of the Android phones are much more affordable, than iPhone. Bud here is not about winning is about what that smartphone does and a jailbreak iPhone does a lot more than any Android.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

he IS right.
    just accept it and go on with your life.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (12-12-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Android claimed 72% in 2012. Well they should with the 50 different android devices they keep coming out with and when it breaks they buy another android and activate it

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    WRONG, it means that people prefer Android over iOS. period.

Thanks
    He's making the wrong comparison... You can't compare the 200 different Android phones to 1 Apple. You would have to compare the sales of iPhone5 to Samsung SIII to get the correct figures.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to qwertydirect For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (12-13-2012)

Thanks

I guess you would be winning if there are a billion android devices compared to the few that apple has.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    Really, if it were me, I'd just get a dumb phone in the interim. I think people go Android as it's more competitive than Apple and there's more choice.
    im sorry choice of what. specify choice. if the iphone 5 can be jailbreak now android won't stand a chance , but still iPhone it more stable then android. its like apple an microsoft. any one can make programs for windows. but apple not and that why apple hardly crash. unlike windows.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGIAMIU View Post
    It is normal two win as Schmidt say, when your platform goes on all cheap smartphones on the market. Most of the Android phones are much more affordable, than iPhone. Bud here is not about winning is about what that smartphone does and a jailbreak iPhone does a lot more than any Android.
    a jailbroken iPhone does a lot more than any Android? really? can a JB iPhone

- beam content to another iPhone by just taping the two together? NO
    - use voice commands to operate the phone? voice commands, not talking about voice dictation. NO
    - run widgets? real widgets--from the apps you have installed (not limited to somebody's 3rd party crappy widget) NO
    - share any file of any type with just one tap? NO
    - drag and drop files....like say music and then use those files? NO

give you; a larger screen, expandable memory, HDMI ports, USB ports, 5.1 dolby surround sound, NFC, 720p or 1080p displays? quad core processors or 2GB RAM?

the fact that you have to even jailbreak an iPhone just to get simple and basic features of stock Android speaks volumes as to why iOS is inferior to Android when it comes to sheer useability and user experience.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGIAMIU View Post
    a jailbreak iPhone does a lot more than any Android.
    What about a rooted Android phone?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

I wouldn't be surprised. Apple seems to be more worried about beefing up their security on the iOS than giving it new and competing technology. Adding 1 or 2 new features per new release just won't cut it anymore. Especially with the lack of Jailbreaking availability on new devices. People are tired of paying crazy prices for technology they can get in a much more less costly alternative. Im willing to pay the $ if I'm able to do what I want to my device. $799+$99 (if you want AppleCare) for a phone that is limited to the same or less capabilities of a phone you can get for $300 or less. People are tired of taking a big bite of a rotten apple. Sorry but not being able to jb my iPhone/iPad is seriously pissing me off. (IM NOT SAYING ANYTHING AGAINST THE DEVS!!! I know they bust their a** to give us a jb and it's not their fault. Apple needs to loosen up the choke hold.) I mean seriously who cares? They will sell more devices.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qwertydirect View Post
    He's making the wrong comparison... You can't compare the 200 different Android phones to 1 Apple. You would have to compare the sales of iPhone5 to Samsung SIII to get the correct figures.
    you're wrong as well. you cant compare an S3 sales to an iPhone sales because there are other phones to choose from besides the 3S. if you want an accurate picture of what consumers want you have to compare Android to iOS. and Android is clearly the winner.

if people could get iOS on other phones--like the Galaxy S3 or the Note II, then iOS would have a much much larger share because people could get the OS they want on a phone that they want. \

If there was absolutely no other Android phone beside the S3, it would got toe-to-toe with any iPhone easily and would probably still be preferred over an iPhone.

unlike iOS users, Android users dont buy phones because they are pretty to look at. we buy phones that have the features we want like 4" screens and 4G which are old on Android phones but you're only just now getting that with the iPhone 5.

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised. Apple seems to be more worried about beefing up their security on the iOS than giving it new and competing technology. Adding 1 or 2 new features per new release just won't cut it anymore. Especially with the lack of Jailbreaking availability on new devices. People are tired of paying crazy prices for technology they can get in a much more less costly alternative. Im willing to pay the $ if I'm able to do what I want to my device. $799+$99 (if you want AppleCare) for a phone that is limited to the same or less capabilities of a phone you can get for $300 or less. People are tired of taking a big bite of a rotten apple. Sorry but not being able to jb my iPhone/iPad is seriously pissing me off. (IM NOT SAYING ANYTHING AGAINST THE DEVS!!! I know they bust their a** to give us a jb and it's not their fault. Apple needs to loosen up the choke hold.) I mean seriously who cares? They will sell more devices.
    why not just break the choke hold, get rid of your iPhone but keep an iPod touch.

Quote Originally Posted by angel_92701 View Post
    im sorry choice of what. specify choice. if the iphone 5 can be jailbreak now android won't stand a chance , but still iPhone it more stable then android. its like apple an microsoft. any one can make programs for windows. but apple not and that why apple hardly crash. unlike windows.
    iOS is NOT more stable than Android. there was a study done that showed apps crash on iOS 4 times more than on Android. and for your info, Stock Android is 10times better than any jailbroken iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Android claimed 72% in 2012. Well they should with the 50 different android devices they keep coming out with and when it breaks they buy another android and activate it
    there are 50 different Android devices because not everybody wants, likes or needs the same type of phone. if apple offered users a choice, they might not be lagging behind the competition right now.
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 12-12-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    a jailbroken iPhone does a lot more than any Android? really? can a JB iPhone

- beam content to another iPhone by just taping the two together? NO
    - use voice commands to operate the phone? voice commands, not talking about voice dictation. NO
    - run widgets? real widgets--from the apps you have installed (not limited to somebody's 3rd party crappy widget) NO
    - share any file of any type with just one tap? NO
    - drag and drop files....like say music and then use those files? NO

give you; a larger screen, expandable memory, HDMI ports, USB ports, 5.1 dolby surround sound, NFC, 720p or 1080p displays? quad core processors or 2GB RAM?

the fact that you have to even jailbreak an iPhone just to get simple and basic features of stock Android speaks volumes as to why iOS is inferior to Android when it comes to sheer useability and user experience.
    You're so cute when you try to prove your phone is better instead of actually just being content with what you have. Don't worry once you prove to everyone why you were right about android all this time, you're life will be totally different, things will get so much better for you. Just keep it up you are almost there and you are doing great proving points that are meaningless.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Norb For This Useful Post:

KraXik (12-12-2012), RajaDivi (12-14-2012), runey71 (12-12-2012)

Thanks

Shcmidt is shcit. Haha apple may be losing but I'm never going near an android

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    You're so cute when you try to prove your phone is better instead of actually just being content with what you have. Don't worry once you prove to everyone why you were right about android all this time, you're life will be totally different, things will get so much better for you. Just keep it up you are almost there and you are doing great proving points that are meaningless.
    I've always been an Apple supporter but YES I have gotten fed up with certain things. As for your remark, reread the title of the article. Did you not think this debate would take place?it's common sense. And the guy has a point. Unfortunately pretty much everything he's saying is true. I've personally never used an android but if those facts are 100% then it's no wonder Android is and probably will surpass apples BS they've been feeding us the past few years (especially since the 4S and iOS 5 release).
    I can guarantee that IF a jb is not found for the iPhone 5 in the next few months then I'm over Apple and I guess will be going to a rooted Android (not that apple cares).

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8r4life66 View Post
    Shcmidt is shcit. Haha apple may be losing but I'm never going near an android
    And why is that? If Apple products remain to be sh**! and are behind on tech and you can't even jb it to customize it with the tweaks developed by users for users then WTF is the point? Just to say you have an apple device? Does that some how make you cool in your middle/high school? Seriously, if Apple is behind Android and more expensive what would your reason be besides thinking its some kind of status symbol?
    Last edited by PoEtikly; 12-12-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

In this instance it really isn't about who is swinging the biggest meat-sword ... It's about quality. At least, it is for me. As a lot have observed, it's very easy to lead the market when you have a glut of devices out there, and some for very cheap. I mean, most pay-as-you-go phones I see now are Android. And they are junk.

If I were Schmidt I'd be focusing on better quality in the devices I chose to associate myself with.

And there is a direct comparison to PC and MAC in the 90's, as Mr. Schmidt was nice enough to point out. There are how many manufacturers that build devices that run M$ Win-blows? And then, how many are there that actually build quality machines?

Now, how many build Mac OS compatible machines? 1. And are they of the highest quality? Yes.

Same goes for iPad and M$ Surface tablets ... People are thinking about filing a class-action suit against M$ because they advertise a 32GB device only to find that a measley 18GB is usable because the OS is bloatware, filled with useless drivers for other devices it may be installed on.

Are there drawbacks to having a device and OS made by the same company? Absolutely ... Innovation is dictated by only one official source, and we get what they want us to have when they want us to have it. But as we all know, this is where the Jailbreak community comes into play.

How many times have we seen an innovative idea spawned by the JB code monkeys that was absorbed into the next release of iOS? Is it bad that they "steal" these ideas and make it so those that worked so hard on the JB apps get nothing? Sure, but really, how many coders do you know that do it to get rich? None. Most do it because they HAVE to. And there will always be usability niches that need to be filled ... until they don't.

Sorry to ramble on, but I get tired of the pud-waving Google does, when they are really only a software venture. Apple does hardware and software, and until Google can say the same they need to stop making comparisons between themselves and Apple. It's like comparing, well, Apples to oranges ...

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to asmacumber For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (12-12-2012), Norb (12-12-2012), RajaDivi (12-14-2012)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast