+ Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Schmidt: Android is Winning The War Against Apple

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Oh this... People, go with what you like and prefer. I love iPhone as my daily driver, it's always fast, stable, everything is just right there. Tablet wise I love
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Oh this... People, go with what you like and prefer.
    I love iPhone as my daily driver, it's always fast, stable, everything is just right there. Tablet wise I love android because I love being able to customize, be able to change anything right down to the rom.
    Both have ups and downs. Only difference is how cheap android is.
    Devices
    iPod Touch 8gb 2nd Gen jailbroken 4.2.1
    iPhone 3GS 8gb new boot rom jailbroken 5.1.1
    iPhone 4S 16gb Stock 5.1.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

even though i want android to win, schidmt is kind of a ****...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

How many times has the 'We want a larger-screened iPhone' debate been had on this forum ?

If you can't supply to demand, you're outa business.
    How long have iPhone-lovers like me, been trying to tell Apple this ?

The flip side of Steve Jobs' determination that gave the world iDevices was the stubborn obstinacy to yield to the demands of being commercial.
    Unfortunately, staying in business requires this.

The tragedy is that there was no reason not to implement a range of iPhones - with 3.5", 4.5" and 5.5" screens.
    Jobs could have simply scaled it up and retained the aspect ratio while increasing the pixel count - no biggie for developers.

If he'd have done this 3 or 4 years ago, Android might be where Blackberry is today.
    But Jobs laboured under messianic delusions that the cult of Apple somehow defied the law of supply and demand - namely, that you have to meet it to stay afloat.

I have no idea why such a massively solvent company as Apple felt that an upscaled range of iPhones was such a bad idea.
    If it was because having one iPhone somehow made the company unique, they made a grave misjudgement.
    Upscaled versions would be just the same ... but bigger.

Apple should accede to the demands of commerciality, get real and start diversifying before it's too late.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    No really get a life...
    You made like 10 posts on this thread and you're telling him to get a life? Hahaha
    Last edited by Airwaves182; 12-13-2012 at 04:18 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

If you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone

:-P

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by norfskate View Post
    If you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone

:-P
    ... true for increasing numbers of ex-iPhone users.

Thanks

Since we are comparing OS's the real question should be this. No matter what phone you have would you prefer to slap iOS or Android onto it irrespective of its hardware. Since this normally comes down to personal preference. So what if Android is the mainstream. People buy phones to be a breath of fresh air. Something different and unique and yes in some cases because they are expensive. People call us (Apple fans) isheep but whose really the sheep following the crowd? Clearly it is Android users that are the sheep. I prefer iOS but that's my choice. Use what you want not what people or the market tells you to use.

P.s this video sums up my opinion pretty well 😜 (I honestly really do feel sorry for all you droid users that can't read that square box):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_rjrFTGKpM

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    Since we are comparing OS's the real question should be this. No matter what phone you have would you prefer to slap iOS or Android onto it irrespective of its hardware. Since this normally comes down to personal preference. So what if Android is the mainstream. People buy phones to be a breath of fresh air. Something different and unique and yes in some cases because they are expensive. People call us (Apple fans) isheep but whose really the sheep following the crowd? Clearly it is Android users that are the sheep. I prefer iOS but that's my choice. Use what you want not what people or the market tells you to use.

P.s this video sums up my opinion pretty well �� (I honestly really do feel sorry for all you droid users that can't read that square box):

 Only Apple (Tim Cook Song) - YouTube
    Despite being so locked down, iOS is still a far superior OS ... but what's that got to do with Apple's increasing loss of market share to Android ?
    In fairness, the use of the iSheep is not an unreasonable criticism - but people are abandoning Apple IN SPITE of its superior OS.

Thanks
    Only bc they are partnered w/ smartphone providers that make watered down phones. Android is on phones that are free in most cases. Motorola, Samsung, and HTC all make their own premium device, whereas apple puts out 1 a year. Then those same 3 make dozens of lower quality phones running watered down android. They should be winning, what's funny to me is apple doesn't have to try and beat android when it's beating itself. Putting out so much crap over quality devices. That's money their wasting. For apple to even be here is amazing, seeing as they have only 1 flagship phone. This guy is stupid, just wanting to talk sh!+

Green Apple
    Thanks

Most of the cheaper phones do everything the expensive phones do. I'll use the S3 mini as an example, as it was used earlier by someone else, that does everything the S3 does just in certain cases it does it slower. The only thing android is watered down by is by the OEM themselves putting their own take on Android on the phone.

The budget and midrange phones are needs as not everyone wants to spend the price of a holiday on a phone when all they want is to make calls, send some texts and use their phone as an alarm clock. Maybe Apple are missing a trick by not cleaning up on that end of the market?

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,332 Times in 726 Posts

I wouldn't mind using a Samsung galaxy s3. Just to see what all the hub bub is about. But I don't wanna replace my iphone either and I hate 14 day windows. I wish I could rent one. I don't wanna buy a tablet either

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple is doing what it has always done. Building quality products for an insane price premium.

The fallacy of this article is that Google is competing with Apple. Google is the smartphone platform for the masses. iOS is the smartphone platform for the elite (i use that term not in the socioeconomic context, but in the consumer context). They just go after two different markets.

Now the ONLY objective measure of success is consumer and corporate behavior? Why do you think companies are switching to iOS? Why are developers dozens of times more likely to develop for iOS first then android? Why are users 100x more likely to pay for an app on iOS than on Android?

Bottom line: Google is winning the penetration race (more people on android), and Apple is winning the saturation race (rate at which people integrate their phones into their lives).

Personally, I'd rather be winning the latter as it supports all of Apple's other businesses - apps, music, movies, and all kinds of other content (coming soon).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGIAMIU View Post
    It is normal two win as Schmidt say, when your platform goes on all cheap smartphones on the market. Most of the Android phones are much more affordable, than iPhone. Bud here is not about winning is about what that smartphone does and a jailbreak iPhone does a lot more than any Android.
    Just curious, what can a jailbroken iPhone do more than an Android phone?

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    I've always been an Apple supporter but YES I have gotten fed up with certain things. As for your remark, reread the title of the article. Did you not think this debate would take place?it's common sense. And the guy has a point. Unfortunately pretty much everything he's saying is true. I've personally never used an android but if those facts are 100% then it's no wonder Android is and probably will surpass apples BS they've been feeding us the past few years (especially since the 4S and iOS 5 release).
    I can guarantee that IF a jb is not found for the iPhone 5 in the next few months then I'm over Apple and I guess will be going to a rooted Android (not that apple cares).

And why is that? If Apple products remain to be sh**! and are behind on tech and you can't even jb it to customize it with the tweaks developed by users for users then WTF is the point? Just to say you have an apple device? Does that some how make you cool in your middle/high school? Seriously, if Apple is behind Android and more expensive what would your reason be besides thinking its some kind of status symbol?
    Its the Apple on the back, i swear.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Can a Samsung galaxy s3 mini do that? NO
    and don't tell me that's a horrible comparison. Because a new 4" iPhone 5 compared to a 4" Samsung galaxy s3 mini is a good comparison if not then maybe Samsung shouldn't remake a smaller ****** phone. When apple makes a 4.8" screen then well talk.
    You cant compare a flagship phone to a cheap alternative of an S3
    Last edited by SwayProductions; 12-13-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by revsteve View Post
    The fallacy of this article is that Google is competing with Apple. Google is the smartphone platform for the masses. iOS is the smartphone platform for the elite (i use that term not in the socioeconomic context, but in the consumer context). They just go after two different markets.
    Google is competing with apple but maybe they don't see the point of charging huge prices on their products. Take the nexus line up for instant, great hardware with the very latest versions of android at a very reasonable price.

The nexus 4 is sold out until the new year and has been for a week or two

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    a jailbroken iPhone does a lot more than any Android? really? can a JB iPhone

- beam content to another iPhone by just taping the two together? NO
    - use voice commands to operate the phone? voice commands, not talking about voice dictation. NO
    - run widgets? real widgets--from the apps you have installed (not limited to somebody's 3rd party crappy widget) NO
    - share any file of any type with just one tap? NO
    - drag and drop files....like say music and then use those files? NO

Exactly how completely stupid are you? No, seriously...you have no clue what you are talking about. For example.

beaming, yep been able to do that on NON JB iphones for years, maybe you've heard of bump? Probably not based on how incorrect your assumptions are.

Voice commands, yep, had voice commands for a long time, then came dictation and now better commands with Siri which GOOGLE HAD TO DO AN UPDATE TO MATCH DUMMY.

We don't want widgets, have them on the desktop, they're garbage.

Share any file, please see item one and god knows how many other apps, please show your one tap solution to do this because I think you're lying.

Sure can drag and drop files, just can't use them with apple's app, so what, tons of others.

Dummy Schmidt, you aren't WINNING **** when you aren't MAKING THE MONEY....maybe you see the difference between MS vs. Apple there, probably not. Apple and MS waged war for users and money....all you are getting is market share numbers and even with your huge market share Apple makes more......pretty sad.

you're wrong as well. you cant compare an S3 sales to an iPhone sales because there are other phones to choose from besides the 3S. if you want an accurate picture of what consumers want you have to compare Android to iOS. and Android is clearly the winner.

if people could get iOS on other phones--like the Galaxy S3 or the Note II, then iOS would have a much much larger share because people could get the OS they want on a phone that they want. \

If there was absolutely no other Android phone beside the S3, it would got toe-to-toe with any iPhone easily and would probably still be preferred over an iPhone.

unlike iOS users, Android users dont buy phones because they are pretty to look at. we buy phones that have the features we want like 4" screens and 4G which are old on Android phones but you're only just now getting that with the iPhone 5.

why not just break the choke hold, get rid of your iPhone but keep an iPod touch.

iOS is NOT more stable than Android. there was a study done that showed apps crash on iOS 4 times more than on Android. and for your info, Stock Android is 10times better than any jailbroken iPhone.

there are 50 different Android devices because not everybody wants, likes or needs the same type of phone. if apple offered users a choice, they might not be lagging behind the competition right now.

Sure android is more stable...yeah right...you can't even keep 400+% increases in malware from your market. Ars just reviewed the built in malware scanning in the newest build and still gave it a failing grade. You don't even know what iphones are capable of when NOT jailbroken as you proved with your earlier post so if you are THAT wrong/out of touch, why would anyone believe you. You seem to think that no iphone owners also have android, you would be wrong. I have both and ios wins hands down, enjoy your malware.
    Last edited by Simon; 12-13-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,172 Times in 6,967 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tekwiz View Post

We don't want widgets, have them on the desktop, they're garbage.
    a jailbroken iPhone does a lot more than any Android? really? can a JB iPhone

- run widgets? real widgets--from the apps you have installed (not limited to somebody's 3rd party crappy widget) NO
    Jailbroken iPhones have widgets. And I have seen some beautiful ones, some even better looking than Android ones. They aren't as "maneuverable" as Android ones but are very well done none the less. He should check out the theme section of MMi more often and he would know that.

There are also a lot of Siri add-ons in cydia that add all sorts of functionality. From voice commands, international localisation, raise Siri just by speaking instead of holding home button etc. jongarrett is obviously lacking in the information department when it comes to what a jailbroken iPhone can do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    You made like 10 posts on this thread and you're telling him to get a life? Hahaha
    Yes, I work in IT, I spend most my time on a computer. When I have free time I spend it on a site I enjoy, reading and commenting about things I like.

Go look at all his posts (not just in this thread)... I mean if you really don't like iPhone or anything related to Apple, why waste you time on this site?
    Last edited by Norb; 12-13-2012 at 12:09 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fredHD View Post
    What do you do with a " mobile phone " that a iPhone don't do ? Watch film ? Yeah you got a big screen, but I'd rather watch a film on my 100 inch screen it won't kill my battery, you have widgets mmm pretty pretty but I touch a icon and I'm in the app no big deal, you have super processors yeah tell me how it feels in 6 months, u ever use NFC ? Come on people be serious.
    Remote access to computers frequently. Actually be able to read email in the client without expanding the screen. Yes, I have used the NFC function. Not fond of the Samsung phones which is why I am leaning towards the MAXX HD.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fredHD View Post
    What do you do with a " mobile phone " that a iPhone don't do ? Watch film ? Yeah you got a big screen, but I'd rather watch a film on my 100 inch screen it won't kill my battery, you have widgets mmm pretty pretty but I touch a icon and I'm in the app no big deal, you have super processors yeah tell me how it feels in 6 months, u ever use NFC ? Come on people be serious.
    What do you do with an iPhone that my Galaxy Nexus can't do? Sure you can launch the app but the thing about widgets is i don't have to since i have what i need on the screen. My processor feels great, runs fine with no lag. I use NFC on a daily basis. I have a tag placed outside my door that turns on my wifi, and my TV to a predetermine channel i have chosen (USB-UIRT is needed though). I have one placed next to my bed that puts my phone on silent, turns on my alarm and dims my brightness. Lastly, i have one in my car that kills wifi, enables Car Mode, turns on my music and navigation. So yeah, i do use NFC. Plus is nice to see peoples reactions at the places that accepts them when i pay with my phone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,988 Times in 910 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    What do you do with an iPhone that my Galaxy Nexus can't do? Sure you can launch the app but the thing about widgets is i don't have to since i have what i need on the screen. My processor feels great, runs fine with no lag. I use NFC on a daily basis. I have a tag placed outside my door that turns on my wifi, and my TV to a predetermine channel i have chosen (USB-UIRT is needed though). I have one placed next to my bed that puts my phone on silent, turns on my alarm and dims my brightness. Lastly, i have one in my car that kills wifi, enables Car Mode, turns on my music and navigation. So yeah, i do use NFC. Plus is nice to see peoples reactions at the places that accepts them when i pay with my phone.
    I don't care what anybody else in this thread says...THAT'S DOPE!!!