+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Find My iPhone Gets Directions to Device Locations, Mistake-preventive Interface

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Closer to the iPhone 5 unveiling, Apple gave the Find My iPhone application a facelift in version 2.0 . The application has been much more pleasant to use ever since.
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 787 Posts

Default Find My iPhone Gets Directions to Device Locations, Mistake-preventive Interface

Closer to the iPhone 5 unveiling, Apple gave the Find My iPhone application a facelift in version 2.0. The application has been much more pleasant to use ever since. Today, Apple has updated Find My iPhone to version 2.0.1, giving the application some new features, and a mistake-preventive interface to help keep goofy people from tapping the wrong buttons.

The mistake-preventive interface moves the play sound, lost mode, and erase buttons off of the mapping interface. This is good for two reasons – it keeps you form accidentally tapping a button when you didn’t mean to, and it also gives you more room to see the map instead of buttons. Tapping on the blue arrow from the popup with the device name on it is how you access the now moved buttons. When you enter button view, the map will blur out of focus and put all focus on the device itself and the buttons, which is pretty neat:

The most important new feature in the update is the ability to now find directions to a device. This feature allows you to use the location that the device was found at and navigate to that location using your current location. This is done by tapping on the green navigation button that is on the left side of the popup that has your device name on it. This feature, being iOS 6-only, will launch Apple’s Maps application and route your destination for you so you can follow it to find your iOS device or Mac.

Existing users can find the update from the Updates tab in the App Store. New users can download the application for free from this link.

Sources: App Store
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-11-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

good that they've introduced directions to device but would be awesome if those directions remained within find my iphone and updated if the device changed location... the point of getting directions to the phone are to find it and if it moves, you'd kinda wanna know about it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slickric View Post
    good that they've introduced directions to device but would be awesome if those directions remained within find my iphone and updated if the device changed location... the point of getting directions to the phone are to find it and if it moves, you'd kinda wanna know about it
    +1 I agree.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Still a useless feature, (this findmyidevice thing), as it still does not stop people turning off the device. For this you have to Jailbreak and install the "password protected power off" tweak

If I found an iDevice and was inclined to keep it, not that I am, then the first thing I would do is switch it off until I got to iTunes to restore it. Please Apple stop this from being able to be done!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think they migrate 'Find My Friend' app with 'Find my iPhone'...

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by windowsdan View Post
    Still a useless feature, (this findmyidevice thing), as it still does not stop people turning off the device. For this you have to Jailbreak and install the "password protected power off" tweak

If I found an iDevice and was inclined to keep it, not that I am, then the first thing I would do is switch it off until I got to iTunes to restore it. Please Apple stop this from being able to be done!!
    Yea but even that won't stop a hard reset... If you really want something useful to do be done about it, then Apple should require the passcode/password before allowing a restore through iTunes...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Find my phone is stupid. All the thieves know that all you have to do is turn the device OFF as soon as you steal!!!!! All Apple has to do is put a require password before turning off phone off option. That alone will allow us to track the thief. Do they do that??? NO!

Do they know about this? Yes.

Thanks

I couldn't agree more...

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 787 Posts

Find my iPhone isn't only for thieves. It's also for when you leave your iPhone somewhere and can't find it. So it's really not useless.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You are right. It's not totally useless. It is pretty useless when the phone is stolen.
    Also.... what appleID was used IF you enabled find my phone? Most people don't know.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    Yea but even that won't stop a hard reset... If you really want something useful to do be done about it, then Apple should require the passcode/password before allowing a restore through iTunes...
    If you have a password on your iPhone/iPod/iPad It requires you to unlock it before you sync with an iTunes other then the one it previously synced to.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fanboyfanboy For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (01-13-2013)