+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Time Magazine: iPhone 5 is 2012 'Gadget of The Year'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Time Magazine: iPhone 5 is 2012 'Gadget of The Year'

Time Magazine has bestowed a lofty honor upon Apple's iPhone 5. Time has selected Apple's latest model as the 2012 "Gadget of the Year."

The report from Time author Harry McCracken describes the iPhone 5 as "one of the most artfully polished gadgets anyone’s ever built, with a taller screen than previous iPhones built into a thinner, lighter case."

And while Android devices still lead the iPhone in terms of units sold around the world for 2012, Time gives Apple the nod for being the smartphone leader in terms of general device and OS quality.

There are lots of nifty smartphones out there, including the iPhone’s impressive archrival, Samsung’s Galaxy S III. But when it comes to melding hardware, software and services so tightly that the seams fade away, Apple still has no peer.
    Here's the complete list of the top ten gadgets of 2012 as compiled by Time Magazine:
    1. Apple iPhone 5
    2. Nintendo Wii U
    3. Sony Cyber-shot RX100
    4. Raspberry Pi Model B
    5. Lytro
    6. Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
    7. Microsoft Surface with Windows RT
    8. Samsung Galaxy Note II
    9. Nest
    10. Simple.TV

Source: Time

Thanks

Where's the galaxy s3?
    Exactly

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Seems like a pretty ****** list if you ask me. Good products but the order of em is off

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Where's the galaxy s3?
    Exactly
    In the shadow of iPhone 5

5. The Following User Says Thank You to unixman84 For This Useful Post:

KraXik (12-12-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Sure it is.

And I'm sure this has absolutely nothing to do with the clever little iPad Mini ad that was run on Time Magazine's cover.

Moving on......

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm sorry to break it to you guys but the Galaxy S3 is better than the iphone 5 in nearly every way. The iPhone 5 is much better in terms of build quality but that's about it. Even that's a double edged sword. Sure, the aluminum looks and feels great but it shows scratches, dings and nicks like crazy. I don't worry about dropping my GS3 cause I know it won't shatter like my iPhone 4 did or get a big gash like an iPhone 5 would. Android as an os is just so much more flexible and usable. I was a iOS devotee for three years but I bought an iPhone 5 and the sense of deja vu was just immediately a bummer. Plus all the apps that don't fill the screen, the garbage lightning connector and the locked down os was enough to make me sell it on eBay for $800. I bought a GS3 for $450 and have loved it. I still like iOS for a tablet, Android can't touch it when it comes to tablet optimized apps, but as a phone os Android has blown past iOS. I hope Jony Ive can make some meaningful changes because I still love my Mac and iPad and would love to have all my devices in perfect harmony again.
    Last edited by sofakingstewpit; 12-11-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,101 Times in 6,940 Posts

Does seem odd that the S3 isn't on there. Although it seems they didn't really put competitors in each ranking. It's like they did the best of each category (smartphones, tablets, laptops etc.) and then just ranked the categories.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sofakingstewpit View Post
    I'm sorry to break it to you guys but the Galaxy S3 is better than the iphone 5 in nearly every way. The iPhone 5 is much better in terms of build quality but that's about it. Even that's a double edged sword. Sure, the aluminum looks and feels great but it shows scratches, dings and nicks like crazy. I don't worry about dropping my GS3 cause I know it won't shatter like my iPhone 4 did or get a big gash like an iPhone 5 would. Android as an os is just so much more flexible and usable. I was a iOS devotee for three years but I bought an iPhone 5 and the sense of deja vu was just immediately a bummer. Plus all the apps that don't fill the screen, the garbage lightning connector and the locked down os was enough to make me sell it on eBay for $800. I bought a GS3 for $450 and have loved it. I still like iOS for a tablet, Android can't touch it when it comes to tablet optimized apps, but as a phone os Android has blown past iOS. I hope Jony Ive can make some meaningful changes because I still love my Mac and iPad and would love to have all my devices in perfect harmony again.
    I had the GS3 for 2 weeks. Literally dropped it 2ft off of my lap and the screen shattered. Sold on eBay for $300 as is. I bought the iPhone 5 and have dropped mine many times with no screen damage what so ever. Few scratches here and there. You are full of shyt brah. Go watch drop comparison video's the GS3 is garbage. Plastic junk, Samsung is ripping you off. I've owned every iPhone and 3 Android phones. As far as a phone iOS wins hands down. Why wouldn't you want a simple phone that works perfect out of the box without having to root it and all that stuff? Mobile iOS is perfect in every sense for a phone. iMessage is amazing with the ability to send full quality pics/videos. Group chat works flawlessly. It's horrible on Android. It's so bad on Android you need a 3rd party app lol which is the case for many basic features on Android. You'll have to trust a 3rd party app with your messaging and even keyboard.

Camera/video - iPhone 5 > GS3 Android is grainy and worse in photo/video quality
    Build quality - iPhone 5 > GS3 Brb plastic phone
    Battery - iPhone 5 > GS3 No comparison here lets be real dude
    Phone performance iPhone 5 > GS3 Android still lags! Idc what blueberry pancakes apple pie OS you run, it will lag
    Browser speed iPhone 5 > GS3 LTE or WiFi the iPhone is faster. And don't mention flash brah that's a thing of the past. No longer mobile supported
    Apps/games iPhone 5 > GS3 Everything runs smoother/faster on iOS
    Updating software iPhone 5 > GS3 Enjoy waiting months for your carrier broski
    Phone backup iPhone 5 > GS3 No comparisons here. iTunes or iCloud win by a long shot
    Video chat iPhone 5 > GS3 FaceTime is the best
    Charging time iPhone 5 > GS3 iPhone 5 charges so fast and will last a long time

Here's the big one brah, WARRANTY. Apple Care pwns Samsung's warranty. Walk into the Apple Store and 99% of the time you'll walk out with a new iPhone, refirb or not. Apple Care is one of the best warranties around.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

I've been learning about the galaxy s3 a lot and although I've only owned an iphone my girlfriends sister does own a Htc and my mom owns an android. As far as being reliable. Usable and friendly. Apple takes the cake. The galaxy s3 is an OK phone but it is pretty cluttered and disorganized with all the third party apps that you have to download. As far as practical goes iphone wins. Samsung just kinda goes overboard with all the features and apps they shove in. I've finally understood how and why apple takes its time In slowly releasing features and gives you good reasons why. Nothing against android as I might own a future s4 one day but right now it's a good cluttered phone

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Does seem odd that the S3 isn't on there. Although it seems they didn't really put competitors in each ranking. It's like they did the best of each category (smartphones, tablets, laptops etc.) and then just ranked the categories.
    This would be my assumption.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm surprised the raspberry pi isn't #1 on the list.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Awesome post.....'nuff said!

Quote Originally Posted by answer1o1 View Post
    i had the gs3 for 2 weeks. Literally dropped it 2ft off of my lap and the screen shattered. Sold on ebay for $300 as is. I bought the iphone 5 and have dropped mine many times with no screen damage what so ever. Few scratches here and there. You are full of shyt brah. Go watch drop comparison video's the gs3 is garbage. Plastic junk, samsung is ripping you off. I've owned every iphone and 3 android phones. As far as a phone ios wins hands down. Why wouldn't you want a simple phone that works perfect out of the box without having to root it and all that stuff? Mobile ios is perfect in every sense for a phone. Imessage is amazing with the ability to send full quality pics/videos. Group chat works flawlessly. It's horrible on android. It's so bad on android you need a 3rd party app lol which is the case for many basic features on android. You'll have to trust a 3rd party app with your messaging and even keyboard.

Camera/video - iphone 5 > gs3 android is grainy and worse in photo/video quality
    build quality - iphone 5 > gs3 brb plastic phone
    battery - iphone 5 > gs3 no comparison here lets be real dude
    phone performance iphone 5 > gs3 android still lags! Idc what blueberry pancakes apple pie os you run, it will lag
    browser speed iphone 5 > gs3 lte or wifi the iphone is faster. And don't mention flash brah that's a thing of the past. No longer mobile supported
    apps/games iphone 5 > gs3 everything runs smoother/faster on ios
    updating software iphone 5 > gs3 enjoy waiting months for your carrier broski
    phone backup iphone 5 > gs3 no comparisons here. Itunes or icloud win by a long shot
    video chat iphone 5 > gs3 facetime is the best
    charging time iphone 5 > gs3 iphone 5 charges so fast and will last a long time

here's the big one brah, warranty. Apple care pwns samsung's warranty. Walk into the apple store and 99% of the time you'll walk out with a new iphone, refirb or not. Apple care is one of the best warranties around.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Answer1o1 View Post
    I had the GS3 for 2 weeks. Literally dropped it 2ft off of my lap and the screen shattered. Sold on eBay for $300 as is. I bought the iPhone 5 and have dropped mine many times with no screen damage what so ever. Few scratches here and there. You are full of shyt brah. Go watch drop comparison video's the GS3 is garbage. Plastic junk, Samsung is ripping you off. I've owned every iPhone and 3 Android phones. As far as a phone iOS wins hands down. Why wouldn't you want a simple phone that works perfect out of the box without having to root it and all that stuff? Mobile iOS is perfect in every sense for a phone. iMessage is amazing with the ability to send full quality pics/videos. Group chat works flawlessly. It's horrible on Android. It's so bad on Android you need a 3rd party app lol which is the case for many basic features on Android. You'll have to trust a 3rd party app with your messaging and even keyboard.

Camera/video - iPhone 5 > GS3 Android is grainy and worse in photo/video quality
    Phone performance iPhone 5 > GS3 Android still lags! Idc what blueberry pancakes apple pie OS you run, it will lag
    Browser speed iPhone 5 > GS3 LTE or WiFi the iPhone is faster. And don't mention flash brah that's a thing of the past. No longer mobile supported
    Phone backup iPhone 5 > GS3 No comparisons here. iTunes or iCloud win by a long shot

Here's the big one brah, WARRANTY. Apple Care pwns Samsung's warranty. Walk into the Apple Store and 99% of the time you'll walk out with a new iPhone, refirb or not. Apple Care is one of the best warranties around.
    good one, brah! well said, couldn't have said it better.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wow brah, broski, bromo, whatever you want to be called, you got me there. Your super intelligent response to my points speaks for itself. Have fun setting up Sparrow, a clearly superior email client, as your default client. Oh wait, you can't. Well at least you can make Chrome your default...oh nevermind, can't do that either. iMessage is a freaking joke. I've had iMessages disappear into thin air never to be seen again. I've had them show up an hour later than I've sent them. Please stop with that nonsense. The camera is a little better on the iPhone 5 but please don't act like its a night and day difference. Also, get a big boy camera and don't rely on a phone camera for important pictures anyway. The battery is bigger and lasts longer on the GS3 2100mah>1434mah, brah. I know you know how those greater than signs work so hopefully you can decipher that. Not to mention you can swap batteries on the GS3, but you can do that right...oh wait...Build quality belongs to the iPhone 5 like I said but have fun with your scratched aluminum. There is zero lag with Jelly Bean on my GS3. Just because you weren't smart enough to figure out how to get your phone running well doesn't mean it doesn't work for others. As far as LTE speeds go, I've gotten 50 down on my GS3 versus 48 down on my iPhone 5. What does that even matter though. They're are both blazing fast and I would argue that you couldn't tell the difference between 20 down and 50 down on a phone anyway. Who cares about flash?!?! It's not even supported anymore anyway. Sure, iOS gets offical updates faster but they break the jailbreaks and they sometimes suck. Are you running iOS 6 brah? Hopefully not. I downgraded my iPhone 4 back to iOS 5.1.1 because iOS 6 was trash. Backups are better on Android as well. Have you used Titanium Backup? I'm guessing you haven't because you would know it's better than having to go to your computer and load up the lovely program known as iTunes. Titanium Backups can be restored from your micro sd card. Speaking of expandable storage...Facetime is no better or worse than any myriad of video chat applications. And my GS3 may take slightly longer to charge but that's because it has a bigger battery. Well bro, I hoped you enjoyed getting worked over. Next time you try to argue it's best to know what you are talking about. Maybe your awesome Maps app can help lead you to a place where you can actually convince someone that the iPhone 5 is better. Nah...Also, maybe use less greater than/less than symbols, you just look like a fool. Galaxy S3 > iPhone 5.
    Last edited by sofakingstewpit; 12-12-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,101 Times in 6,940 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sofakingstewpit View Post
    Wow brah, broski, bromo, whatever you want to be called, you got me there. Your super intelligent response to my points speaks for itself. Have fun setting up Sparrow, a clearly superior email client, as your default client. Oh wait, you can't. Well at least you can make Chrome your default...oh nevermind, can't do that either. iMessage is a freaking joke. I've had iMessages disappear into thin air never to be seen again. I've had them show up an hour later than I've sent them. Please stop with that nonsense. The camera is a little better on the iPhone 5 but please don't act like its a night and day difference. Also, get a big boy camera and don't rely on a phone camera for important pictures anyway. The battery is bigger and lasts longer on the GS3 2100mah>1434mah, brah. I know you know how those greater than signs work so hopefully you can decipher that. Not to mention you can swap batteries on the GS3, but you can do that right...oh wait...Build quality belongs to the iPhone 5 like I said but have fun with your scratched aluminum. There is zero lag with Jelly Bean on my GS3. Just because you weren't smart enough to figure out how to get your phone running well doesn't mean it doesn't work for others. As far as LTE speeds go, I've gotten 50 down on my GS3 versus 48 down on my iPhone 5. What does that even matter though. They're are both blazing fast and I would argue that you couldn't tell the difference between 20 down and 50 down on a phone anyway. Who cares about flash?!?! It's not even supported anymore anyway. Sure, iOS gets offical updates faster but they break the jailbreaks and they sometimes suck. Are you running iOS 6 brah? Hopefully not. I downgraded my iPhone 4 back to iOS 5.1.1 because iOS 6 was trash. Backups are better on Android as well. Have you used Titanium Backup? I'm guessing you haven't because you would know it's better than having to go to your computer and load up the lovely program known as iTunes. Titanium Backups can be restored from your micro sd card. Speaking of expandable storage...Facetime is no better or worse than any myriad of video chat applications. And my GS3 may take slightly longer to charge but that's because it has a bigger battery. Well bro, I hoped you enjoyed getting worked over. Next time you try to argue it's best to know what you are talking about. Maybe your awesome Maps app can help lead you to a place where you can actually convince someone that the iPhone 5 is better. Nah...Also, maybe use less greater than/less than symbols, you just look like a fool. Galaxy S3 > iPhone 5.
    So tired of the endless "iPhone 5 is better, no S3 is better, iOS is better, no Android is better". It's all the same. They more or less both do the same thing, it is just a matter of personal preference. I have owned a S3. Didn't like it. Right now I have a iPhone 5 and a Nexus 4 and love both. I prefer my iPhone 5 as my main phone, but not by much, and that is mostly because of me having been in the apple world for so long (iTunes, music, games etc.). iOS is smoother and easier to get around but has become a little stale. Android is not as polished and can be a bit cumbersome but sure is fun to play around with all the stuff you can do with it.

So in summary: iPhone 5 = Samsung S3

Green Apple
    Thanks

You can still use flash on the S3 on jelly bean, it's just not updated or in the play store any more but can easily be found and side loaded. Works fine on 4.1.2

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Haha, funny how most if not all of the apps you mentioned are 3rd party apps. The camera is not slightly better, and yeah I'll carry around a 1500 hundred dollar camera around my neck 24/7 in case I happen to see something I like. The GPS in my area at least is way better on the iPhone than on my cousins gs3, most of the time his runs are way off because he kept getting disconnected, his gryroscope isn't even half as good also. The s3 can be a better phone but is nowhere near as good when you compare the 2 out of the box. And yes it does have a bigger battery but it lasts less so don't be showing that off, it may last more on stand by but not if you use your phone like a normal person would. I live in the US near the border and maps work great here and Mexico. Just cause you read about ppl having problems, there are thousands not having them. The s3 is a great phone but don't try and pretend its better than the iPhone 5.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmaderosk8r View Post
    Haha, funny how most if not all of the apps you mentioned are 3rd party apps. The camera is not slightly better, and yeah I'll carry around a 1500 hundred dollar camera around my neck 24/7 in case I happen to see something I like. The GPS in my area at least is way better on the iPhone than on my cousins gs3, most of the time his runs are way off because he kept getting disconnected, his gryroscope isn't even half as good also. The s3 can be a better phone but is nowhere near as good when you compare the 2 out of the box. And yes it does have a bigger battery but it lasts less so don't be showing that off, it may last more on stand by but not if you use your phone like a normal person would. I live in the US near the border and maps work great here and Mexico. Just cause you read about ppl having problems, there are thousands not having them. The s3 is a great phone but don't try and pretend its better than the iPhone 5.
    Yeah, they're third party apps. But that's the point. If a third party makes a better app that can be your default app. Don't act like stock apps are better just because they are stock. I used an iPhone 5 for two weeks before I sold it so I'm not just speaking from what I've read. I live in a major metropolitan area and the maps app lead me in a circle of u-turns on more than one occasion. I put the iPhone's battery through its paces while I had it and it doesn't last as long as my GS3 does, especially since the Jelly Bean update. I've had both and the iPhone camera is only slightly better. It's not like anybody is gonna blow up a phone camera picture to an 8x10 anyway and they both produce fine results when viewed on their respective screens. I really do feel like the iPhone 5 was a fine phone, the best Apple has ever made even, it's just the exact same phone as the 4 and the 4s. The only difference there is that you can't jailbreak the 5. We all know how much we love stock iOS. I mean that's why we come to this site, right? So we can read all about the cool tweaks for stock iOS...
    Last edited by sofakingstewpit; 12-12-2012 at 12:54 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Again, the iPhone is a great phone. I'm just saying that it's great for people who don't care to get the most from a mobile device. It's too limited. Android isn't perfect, not by a long shot, but it's much better than iOS if you care to learn all of it's tricks.
    Last edited by sofakingstewpit; 12-12-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks

Default What!!!!!!!

I think you're the one talking S! Here's my 2pence worth....Had a GS3 for about 5 months and it was mostly awesome, the only thing I hated was the bezel got random cracks in it after the first month. I was so disappointed so I sold mine on and thought id give the i5 a go, BIG MISTAKE!!!! This bezel makes the GS3 seem like titanium. Even with a case my black is still wearing out and if it wasnt for the fact I paid £340 (without contract) I would have sold this too and went back to Gs3. i5 is same old same old. So I call bs on this list and say GS3 should be at top. I have to agree that apples service is good tho and since 2007 they have never turned me down and sorted my problems over all my idevices where samsung would not even acknowledge the cracks etc.
    Last edited by se23; 12-13-2012 at 01:31 PM.