Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Square Connects with Passbook in Jab at PayPal

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Square Connects with Passbook in Jab at PayPal

Apple's Passbook is the new battleground for the mobile payments war between Square and PayPal. As the companies duke it out for supremacy during the holiday shopping season, Square is stepping up to give PayPal a bigger challenge in the mobile coupons arena.

On Sunday, Square chief Jack Dorsey confirmed via Twitter that his company is now fully intertwined with iOS Passbook. As a result, "Treat friends and family to local favorites with Square gift cards. Easy to redeem with Wallet, Passbook, or paper," Dorsey tweeted.

Most importantly, Square now gives users the ability to give and use gift cards through Passbook. It's an innovative move on the part of Square because it helps enable businesses that don't offer traditional gift cards (of the physical variety) to now offer them electronically. Any small business or entrepreneur that uses a Square Register to process payments can now offer and accept gift certificates and coupons.

Although mobile coupons and gift cards are generally thought of as entities that primarily benefit consumers, this announcement is also making no shortage of small businesses very happy to have a sales and marketing feature previously out of their reach.

Source: Jack Dorsey (via Twitter)

I'm with any competitor of PayPal.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I love PayPal, Square is awesome too. This should be a fun competition to watch.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Anything that helps put Paypal into the ground is a welcomed friend. PayPal is the single worst company I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with in my life. I'm not even being dramatic. It was THAT bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    Anything that helps put Paypal into the ground is a welcomed friend. PayPal is the single worst company I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with in my life. I'm not even being dramatic. It was THAT bad.
    I've had the complete opposite. I've had nothin but great service with them

screw paypal, I'm with Team Square!

Quote Originally Posted by severe View Post
    I'm with any competitor of PayPal.
    I second it. PayPal is very very lazy in terms of communication and resolving issues.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    screw paypal, I'm with Team Square!
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by svolam View Post
    I second it. PayPal is very very lazy in terms of communication and resolving issues.

Ditto
    If you don't like PayPal, look at eBay. They had plenty of opportunity to fix things but chose not to. Their model is to collect fees in any way they can -- they get you coming and going.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colwood's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    I've had the complete opposite. I've had nothin but great service with them
    +1 nothing but a positive experience with PayPal