Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Analyst: iPhone 5S in June 2013 With NFC, 128GB Storage, Colors, Better Camera

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Yes normal usage for my IPhone 4S was 6 hours. A lot of the time I could not last a full work day.

iPhone 5 if I ever only get 6 it's because I was either using GPS turn by turn for a long trip or talking on my phone for hours or have had a long FaceTime call.

Typically when I am driving somewhere I use turn by turn ill plug my phone into my car charger just cause. Why not lol.

For me the iPhone 5 is better is every single way than any past Iphone. It's fast, light and the larger screen is very nice!!
    Ok, with only listening to music, sending a few texts and making a few calls with my 4S, I am currently at 6:51 hrs of usage, and 1day, 8 hours of standby. Of coarse this is only using the phone for the latter mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    These are YOUR words Anthony:
    That's an incorrect assessment, Anthony, and what I was responding to.
    I didn't say the word "all." I feel my words are being twisted out of their meaning.

I do believe 16:9 has become the most popular video recording ratio to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    Ok, with only listening to music, sending a few texts and making a few calls with my 4S, I am currently at 6:51 hrs of usage, and 1day, 8 hours of standby. Of coarse this is only using the phone for the latter mentioned.
    That's good and better than a 4S to be sure - but it's no stress test. When I get mine I'll put it to more of a normal 'heavy user' test that a good majority of us are.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I do believe 16:9 has become the most popular video recording ratio to this day.
    I respect your opinion but it's incorrect from the pro world I live in. It may become so.. But we're not there yet. Truly I hope we get there. Not there yet, sir.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 12-25-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

That's good and better than a 4S to be sure - but it's no stress test. When I get mine I'll put it to more of a normal 'heavy user' test that a good majority of us are.
    That is on a 4S. With light usage though. Defeats the purpose of having a smart phone if you ask me. Anyway, that is what Anthony did to get those crazy hours of battery life. He did nothing except really listen to music, and maybe send a few texts and make a couple calls.

That is on a 4S. With light usage though. Defeats the purpose of having a smart phone if you ask me. Anyway, that is what Anthony did to get those crazy hours of battery life. He did nothing except really listen to music, and maybe send a few texts and make a couple calls.
    I did no music listening, and no phone calls.

I used my iPhone as an internet communications device, Facebooking, Tweeting, browsing the Web, text-messaging, and light gaming like Fruit Ninja. These are the things that most people do on their smartphones.

No. Not all are 16:9 by any stretch of imagination gents. You are seeing stretching and not recognizing it as such. As I says I'm a video pro and we see it instantly. 4:3 is still the mega standard. 16:9 is getting wider agreed. And it's about time. I want it to all go there. But I assure you the iP5 is an oddball screen - it won't be on the next version of the iPhone. But time will tell won't it! .. We've best a dead horse here - we're at the agree to disagree point. The main reason I held out on the 5 was because no jailbreak. But the screen doesn't meet my needs either. I was the first in line at my Apple Store thru all versions of the iPhone since the 2G.. This time no. The talker screen doesn't fit my hand.. That's me (and many others). I love the lighter weight. And I know I will get used to all other aspects once I have it. But I assure you I'm in no rush.

For those of you who aren't video pros - when a 4:3 video is displayed on a 16:9 screen the opposite of black bars happens.. The top and bottom get cut off to fill the screen's width. It's very noticeable to a trained eye. On YouTube things are getting magnified to fill screen. I may have confused you in my last post. If course you wouldn't see black bars.. That's the opposite problem: 16:9 on 4:3.

Have a good Christmas guys!
    Sorry man but you are wrong. HD video is 16:9. Every single video I've clicked on in YouTube have been in such format.

I am fully aware when screen gets cut off just like in every HD video on YouTube on my iPhone 4S when I want to get rid of the letter boxes it will cut off the sides.

Yes your correct that if a video is in 4:3 on an iPhone 5 if you go full screen it will cut off the top and bottom. Fact of the matter is professional HD recordings are uploaded in 16:9 and in fact cinema wide screen standard for today is 2.40:1 which would be even wider than 16:9 resulting in letter boxing (atleast everyone that I have came across) and all the devices record in HD and are in 16:9.

But anyway I see we will have to agree to disagree. Please feel free to send me a link to any video you see this problem and I will share 10 more that don't.

I mean to argue that 16:9 is not the standard in HD is silly. The term 1080p is widely assumed as a widescreen format and would 1920x1080 resolution that is a 16:9 aspect and is the exact detention of any modern day monitor or TV.

But being a video pro as you say it. I find it odd that your argument is old YouTube videos because like me and Anthony have said (and we both have Iphone 5's) we have no came across any videos yet that were not 16:9

Again nothing but respect but even in the settings that You select your quality in YouTube it says 720 or 1080p lol.

Please review this page
    http://support.google.com/youtube/bi...answer=1727361

This is straight suggestions from uploading video content. It states to upload in the highest resolution and if it is done in 16:9 aspect it will fit the player perfectly.

I don't see how you can further argue that 16:9 isn't the standard at least for YouTube when it's video player is in 16:9 and they suggest uploading in 16:9 or it will be letter boxed
    Last edited by subywrex; 12-25-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Sorry man but you are wrong. HD video is 16:9. Every single video I've clicked on in YouTube have been in such format.

I am fully aware when screen gets cut off just like in every HD video on YouTube on my iPhone 4S when I want to get rid of the letter boxes it will cut off the sides.

Yes your correct that if a video is in 4:3 on an iPhone 5 if you go full screen it will cut off the top and bottom. Fact of the matter is professional HD recordings are uploaded in 16:9 and in fact cinema wide screen standard for today is 2.40:1 which would be even wider than 16:9 resulting in letter boxing (atleast everyone that I have came across) and all the devices record in HD and are in 16:9.

I don't see how you can further argue that 16:9 isn't the standard at least for YouTube when it's video player is in 16:9 and they suggest uploading in 16:9 or it will be letter boxed
    Sorry, Suby.. You aren't understanding my argument - nor do you understand the industry as I do. As a themer - you're great, bro! Love your work - but with regard to video norms and how many videos are 1080p.. respectfully you just don't know what you're talking about. Better than 90% of youtube doesnt have the option for , 720, 960 or 1080. I can't explain it any better than I have.. Let's just leave it alone, bro. Anybody can easily see when a 4:3 is being stretched to 16:9 and gets cut off at the top. Let's just move on. You've made your points and I've made mine. People will make their own decisions for themselves from here. On to the next topic.

Sorry, Suby.. You aren't understanding my argument - nor do you understand the industry as I do. As a themer - you're great, bro! Love your work - but with regard to video norms and how many videos are 1080p.. respectfully you just don't know what you're talking about. Better than 90% of youtube doesnt have the option for , 720, 960 or 1080. I can't explain it any better than I have.. Let's just leave it alone, bro. Anybody can easily see when a 4:3 is being stretched to 16:9 and gets cut off at the top. Let's just move on. You've made your points and I've made mine. People will make their own decisions for themselves from here. On to the next topic.
    Lol the numbers that you call out are funny.

Just cause I theme does not make me ignorant to video. It's not that hard to understand. 1080p has 1080 lines of vertical resolution. To achieve 16:9 that means you would have to have a resolution of 1920x1080.

Now you can still achieve 1080p quality at different aspect ratios, however 16:9 is the HD Standard, thus why monitors and tvs (and now the iPhone) are made at this universal standard aspect ratio.

I don't have to be a video pro to realize those simple facts that in this day and age the standard is a widescreen format at 16:9

It doesn't matter though. One post you say that me and Anthony probably don't realize the top and bottom is being cut off but for video pros its very easy to point pit but in this last post you change that point of view to anyone can see the difference.

Fact is. If the video is taken in HD then it Will most likely be uploaded as such. I find it very funny that your argument as a video pro is that all these old videos that are armature at best (because they were taken on a device that doesn't record in HD) effects you more than a video that isn't HD. Lol. Would think the lack of definition would before irritating than letter boxing

Great convo my friend. 👍
    Last edited by subywrex; 12-25-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Lol the numbers that you call out are funny.

Just cause I theme does not make me ignorant to video. It's not that hard to understand. 1080p has 1080 lines of vertical resolution. To achieve 16:9 that means you would have to have a resolution of 1920x1080.

Now you can still achieve 1080p quality at different aspect ratios, however 16:9 is the HD Standard, thus why monitors and tvs (and now the iPhone) are made at this universal standard aspect ratio.

I don't have to be a video pro to realize those simple facts that in this day and age the standard is a widescreen format at 16:9

It doesn't matter though. One post you say that me and Anthony probably don't realize the top and bottom is being cut off but for video pros its very easy to point pit but in this last post you change that point of view to anyone can see the difference.

Fact is. If the video is taken in HD then it Will most likely be uploaded as such. I find it very funny that your argument as a video pro is that all these old videos that are armature at best (because they were taken on a device that doesn't record in HD) effects you more than a video that isn't HD. Lol. Would think the lack of definition would before irritating than letter boxing

Great convo my friend. 👍
    Oh like you, bro, I DO hate the lower forms of video. You keep not hearing me. The issue with the ip5 being 16:9 is that it does NOT NATURALLY deal with 4:3 video which is 95% of whats out there on the net. You keep changing the subject. Maybe we have a language barrier.. Lol!!

The fact remains that the majority of video posted today is still 4:3. And that video AS BAD AS IT IS, looks WAY better on a 4:3 aspect ratio phone. That's why the Galaxy S series phones are now outselling ip5.. One of the main reasons. Please read my posts carefully, bro, so you can respond to the points I'm actually making.. ..

You are 100% right - 16:9 looks AMAZING on the ip5.. But the vast majority of Internet (non professional) video on the Internet is still 4:3 and gets cut off on the ip5 screen. That's one place a 4S is superior to the ip5.. Which is where this whole discussion started. .. The ip5 isn't superior to 4S for projecting 4:3 ratio which most of the Internet still is and why most phone manufacturers still have 4:3-friendly screen sizes. On that point I am not wrong and it's easily provable. Though some people still can't notice how the top and bottom is cut off when 4:3 is playing on ip5's 16:9 screen.

Looking forward to playing with my new ip5 soon! I know I will love many things better than my 4S.. Not 4:3 video though.. Lol!!!
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 12-25-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Oh like you, bro, I DO hate the lower forms of video. You keep not hearing me. The issue with the ip5 being 16:9 is that it does NOT NATURALLY deal with 4:3 video which is 95% of whats out there on the net. You keep changing the subject. I know there's a language barrier between us Suby as I'm pretty sure English isn't your first language - though you do AMAZiNG!!!! The majority of video posted today is still 4:3. And that video AS BAD AS IT IS, looks WAY better on a 4:3 aspect ratio phone. That's why the Galaxy S series phones are now outselling ip5.. One of the main reasons. Please read my posts carefully, bro, so you can respond to the points I'm actually making.. ..

You are 100% right - 16:9 looks AMAZING on the ip5.. But the vast majority of Internet (non professional) video on the Internet is still 4:3 and gets cut off on the ip5 screen. That's one place a 4S is superior to the ip5.. Which is where this whole discussion started. .. The ip5 isn't superior to 4S for projecting 4:3 ratio which most of the Internet still is and why most phone manufacturers still have 4:3-friendly screen sizes. On that point I am not wrong and it's easily provable. Though some people still can't notice how the top and bottom is cut off when 4:3 is playing on ip5's 16:9 screen.

Looking forward to playing with my new ip5 soon! I know I will love many things better than my 4S.. Not 4:3 video though.. Lol!!!
    Personally feel your wrong. As me and Anthony both stated its very seldom that a non HD video comes around. The Samsung is popular not being people don't have letter boxes. Saying 95 percent of YouTube video is not HD is a bit crazy. HD recording has been apart of most hand held devices for quite some time.

Also because the 5 and older phones share the same width when flipped landscape that means that the height is exactly the same making 4:3 videos looks exactly the same on both devices other than letter boxing on the 5.

Anyway my friend. Enough on this topic

Personally feel your wrong. As me and Anthony both stated its very seldom that a non HD video comes around. The Samsung is popular not being people don't have letter boxes. Saying 95 percent of YouTube video is not HD is a bit crazy. HD recording has been apart of most hand held devices for quite some time.

Also because the 5 and older phones share the same width when flipped landscape that means that the height is exactly the same making 4:3 videos looks exactly the same on both devices other than letter boxing on the 5.

Anyway my friend. Enough on this topic
    Yep. Just have to disagree. Almost every video i opened on the 5 at the store looked out of aspect - as I feared it would when I first learned of the taller but not wider screen. But hey - maybe the videos I need just aren't consistently cut in HD.

All in all - the 5 is a pretty nice step forward in almost all ways. But you'll see - the 5S or the 6 will increase width. They have to. The public wants it.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 12-25-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Yep. Just have to disagree. Almost every video i opened on the 5 at the store looked out of aspect - as I feared it would when I first learned of the taller but not wider screen. But hey - maybe the videos I need just aren't consistently cut in HD.

All in all - the 5 is a pretty nice step forward in almost all ways. But you'll see - the 5S or the 6 will increase width. They have to. The public wants it.
    That is what I am holding out for. The next increase in size. I hope it will happen with the next gen but very doubtful. I stand on the notion that Apple screwed up not making the phone bigger in both aspects.

Public wants an open OS but apple is not going to do that . Apple is pretty head strong. For anyone waiting for a wider screen I think it's going to be a very long wait.

Ill happily be wrong but I firmly believe this screen size is here to stay for a while.

And please send me a link to a video you tried so I can see what you are rendering too. Or type of video because seriously I saw far more title blocks on my 4s than on my 5. Lol.

I've had the larger Samsung s3 and while the size was "cool" was far to big for comfort for me

Public wants an open OS but apple is not going to do that . Apple is pretty head strong. For anyone waiting for a wider screen I think it's going to be a very long wait.

Ill happily be wrong but I firmly believe this screen size is here to stay for a while.

And please send me a link to a video you tried so I can see what you are rendering too. Or type of video because seriously I saw far more title blocks on my 4s than on my 5. Lol.

I've had the larger Samsung s3 and while the size was "cool" was far to big for comfort for me
    I disagree. I do not think it will be as long as you think. All bets are off with Cook at the helm. The public screamed Mini and they got it. 2 iPads this year. There will be another size increase and it will prob be with the iP6. Apple is loosing a lot of sales to phones with larger screens and that seems to be happening at a faster rate than ever before. Apple doesn't want the iPhone to become a "dog" and Cook will do what he has to.

I disagree. I do not think it will be as long as you think. All bets are off with Cook at the helm. The public screamed Mini and they got it. 2 iPads this year. There will be another size increase and it will prob be with the iP6. Apple is loosing a lot of sales to phones with larger screens and that seems to be happening at a faster rate than ever before. Apple doesn't want the iPhone to become a "dog" and Cook will do what he has to.
    I agree with this analysis 100%. Jobs was a stubborn S.O.B. Cook is not. His actions so far show him to be a 'reactor' to the public. He will have to acquiesce on even some foundational Apple principles to keep the company on top. I predict one of the first sacred cows to die will be the silly prohibition on Flash. That was dumb from the start. Jobs said Flash is inferior to HTML 5 and expected HTML5 to take over Flash dominance on the Internet. Well here we are 5 years later and Flash still dominates. Apple will be forced to back down on Flash.

When you're Steve Jobs you can thumb your nose at Adobe because Jobs had gravitas as an innovator. Cook, as a successor, will need to please his user base first while he's getting his first 'wins' as an innovator -- IF he can pull that off.

In the mean time we will get SOME things we want: bigger screen, Flash....

We will NEVER get 'open platform' though.

I agree with this analysis 100%. Jobs was a stubborn S.O.B. Cook is not. His actions so far show him to be a 'reactor' to the public. He will have to acquiesce on even some foundational Apple principles to keep the company on top. I predict one of the first sacred cows to die will be the silly prohibition on Flash. That was dumb from the start. Jobs said Flash is inferior to HTML 5 and expected HTML5 to take over Flash dominance on the Internet. Well here we are 5 years later and Flash still dominates. Apple will be forced to back down on Flash.

When you're Steve Jobs you can thumb your nose at Adobe because Jobs had gravitas as an innovator. Cook, as a successor, will need to please his user base first while he's getting his first 'wins' as an innovator -- IF he can pull that off.

Maybe you should apply to be CEO you certainly seem to think you know exactly how and what apple will be doing. Heck maybe your Tim Cooks brother you seem to know him pretty well lmao

Just messing with you.

There are many reasons people switch to android. A big screen I believe to be a smaller part of that reason.

The open platform is the main reason. The fact that apple can stay in competition with 1 phone vs many speaks volumes that apple has done things right.

Now maybe we will see a wider Iphone but I'd he surprised and don't really think that's the direction apple wants to go. But hey time will only tell. I don't work for apple nor study them as a company. If they go wider on the screen ill buy that too and be happy as well.

I also agree with you.

To add your comment of Cook "reacting," look at how he handled the Maps debacle, and his recent news interview. I bigger screen is most likely already in the works.

I wouldnt be surprised if in the near future, 2 sizes of the iPhone will be available. The standard and a larger version.

Maybe you should apply to be CEO you certainly seem to think you know exactly how and what apple will be doing. Heck maybe your Tim Cooks brother you seem to know him pretty well lmao

Just messing with you.

There are many reasons people switch to android. A big screen I believe to be a smaller part of that reason.

The open platform is the main reason. The fact that apple can stay in competition with 1 phone vs many speaks volumes that apple has done things right.

Now maybe we will see a wider Iphone but I'd he surprised and don't really think that's the direction apple wants to go. But hey time will only tell. I don't work for apple nor study them as a company. If they go wider on the screen ill buy that too and be happy as well.
    It was easy for Apple to be stubborn when they wore just the "bastard child" of the tech companies in the wild. Now they are to big and become an industry leader. They will make a bigger phone simply because now they have tasted success beyond measures. Times are changing.
    Last edited by mustard05; 12-27-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Yes, Suby! This is a really good point and one of the things I very much admire about Apple. And it speaks very well of their products. (They actually have more than 1 phone though.. Lol!)
    It was easy for Apple to be stubborn when they wore just the "bastard child" of the tech companies in the wild. Now they are to big and become an industry leader. They will make a bigger phone simply because now they have tasted success beyond measures. Times are changing.
    Superb point, Mustard. They will indeed have to adapt! They also have lost the 'coolness factor' as the kids don't really want the same phone as their parents have. iPhones are no longer the 'hip cool' phone. They are mainstream. That perception will hurt Apple in the short and long run.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 12-27-2012 at 10:50 AM.

What I don't understand is why osx is an open platform. I can enable installing products from 3rd parties, however they lock down iOS ?

I hope one day they realize this and allow 3rd party items. Doubtful but wishful lol

What I don't understand is why osx is an open platform. I can enable installing products from 3rd parties, however they lock down iOS ?

I hope one day they realize this and allow 3rd party items. Doubtful but wishful lol
    Wishful thinking - but not going to happen because Apple's core principle is "the same stable iOS experience from ALL users". An open iOS platform could not guarantee the same stable experience from all users. With OSX you're not in danger of an unstable experience. That's why it's more open than iOS.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 12-27-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast