+ Reply
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 235

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Analyst: iPhone 5S in June 2013 With NFC, 128GB Storage, Colors, Better Camera

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard If it's any pattern, I'm getting similar results today. At 59% battery currently with 7 hours of use and 1 day, 11 hours of standby.
...
  1. #141
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,383
    Thanks
    3,638
    Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,286 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    If it's any pattern, I'm getting similar results today.

    At 59% battery currently with 7 hours of use and 1 day, 11 hours of standby.
    Weird. Very weird. Well there is ONE unequal variable here.. You're the only one reporting here doing testing on 6.0.2. I wish others would upgrade and see if their usage pattern yields same results. Anthony, in the Push window/Advanced Tab are you sure all your email accts are set to Push in that window?
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  2. #142
    My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    602
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    If it's any pattern, I'm getting similar results today.

    At 59% battery currently with 7 hours of use and 1 day, 11 hours of standby.
    I'm at 78% with 1hr 49min of usage and 10hr 6 min standby. LMFAO.

  3. #143
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,634
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Weird. Very weird. Well there is ONE unequal variable here.. You're the only one reporting here doing testing on 6.0.2. I wish others would upgrade and see if their usage pattern yields same results. Anthony, in the Push window/Advanced Tab are you sure all your email accts are set to Push in that window?
    I have reported a few times in this thread alone. I get 8-9 hours usage out of 16-18 hours stand by. I use my phone more often than Anthony and we must use different things.

    I always have Bluetooth on because well I use Bluetooth in my car and I also tether from time to time. Also have push on for fb and use my camera a lot with In turn updates my photostream.

    Battery life is relative to how your using your phone. I would say on a normal basis 7-9 usage is normal for iPhone 5. I've also heard Services that use CDMA use more battery than gsm services

  4. #144
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,615
    Thanks
    194
    Thanked 960 Times in 703 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Battery life is relative to how your using your phone.
    Agreed.

  5. #145
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,383
    Thanks
    3,638
    Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,286 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    I have reported a few times in this thread alone. I get 8-9 hours usage out of 16-18 hours stand by. I use my phone more often than Anthony and we must use different things.

    I always have Bluetooth on because well I use Bluetooth in my car and I also tether from time to time. Also have push on for fb and use my camera a lot with In turn updates my photostream.

    Battery life is relative to how your using your phone. I would say on a normal basis 7-9 usage is normal for iPhone 5. I've also heard Services that use CDMA use more battery than gsm services
    I agree it's about how you use your phone - but Anthony referred to getting those results after giving his phone "a stress test".. That's what started me scratching my head. I'm beginning to believe it wasn't much stress.

    And Suby, you're not on 6.0.2 yet either, are u?
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  6. #146
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,634
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    I agree it's about how you use your phone - but Anthony referred to getting those results after giving his phone "a stress test".. That's what started me scratching my head. I'm beginning to believe it wasn't much stress.

    And Suby, you're not on 6.0.2 yet either, are u?
    Yes I am. I haven't seen or noticed really any difference sense the 6.0 to be honest. My battery has been pretty consistent

  7. #147
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,383
    Thanks
    3,638
    Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,286 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Yes I am. I haven't seen or noticed really any difference sense the 6.0 to be honest. My battery has been pretty consistent
    Ah okay. I didn't think you were on 6.0.2 yet. Yeah - clearly you and Anthony use your phones very differently. The specs should be listed for the 'real world' heavy users like you and me, Sub!

    When I have to turn off things just to get good battery life-- it's no longer an iPhone for me.

    I'm hoping my 5 is at least better than my 4S with battery..

    Anthony and Suby - has the 5 been at least better than the 4S given same usage?

  8. #148
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,634
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Ah okay. I didn't think you were on 6.0.2 yet. Yeah - clearly you and Anthony use your phones very differently. The specs should be listed for the 'real world' heavy users like you and me, Sub!

    When I have to turn off things just to get good battery life-- it's no longer an iPhone for me.

    I'm hoping my 5 is at least better than my 4S with battery..

    Anthony and Suby - has the 5 been at least better than the 4S given same usage?
    Yes normal usage for my IPhone 4S was 6 hours. A lot of the time I could not last a full work day.

    iPhone 5 if I ever only get 6 it's because I was either using GPS turn by turn for a long trip or talking on my phone for hours or have had a long FaceTime call.

    Typically when I am driving somewhere I use turn by turn ill plug my phone into my car charger just cause. Why not lol.

    For me the iPhone 5 is better is every single way than any past Iphone. It's fast, light and the larger screen is very nice!!

  9. #149
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,383
    Thanks
    3,638
    Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,286 Posts

    Great Subby. That builds my confidence. I'm getting mine in a few days. I'm going to be moving my Sim card back and forth between my jailbroken 4S and my new iPhone 5.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  10. #150
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,634
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Great Subby. That builds my confidence. I'm getting mine in a few days. I'm going to be moving my Sim card back and forth between my jailbroken 4S and my new iPhone 5.
    If your anything like me after using to iPhone 5 you won't like the size and weight of the 4s lol

  11. #151
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,615
    Thanks
    194
    Thanked 960 Times in 703 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    If your anything like me after using to iPhone 5 you won't like the size and weight of the 4s lol
    +1

  12. #152
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,383
    Thanks
    3,638
    Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,286 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    If your anything like me after using to iPhone 5 you won't like the size and weight of the 4s lol
    Nah. Just wanna test drive iOS 6.. Can't live without my Jailbreak. Plus as I said on this or another thread the video aspect ratio for 4:3 is weird on the 5. And the taller screen - contrary to Apple's TV commercials (lol!!) does NOT fit my thumb better. I now won't be able to reach to the top of the screen with one hand. I can on my 4S.

    When the jailbreak becomes available then I will make all the adjustments to using the 5 and I'm sure really enjoy it.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  13. #153
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,634
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Nah. Just wanna test drive iOS 6.. Can't live without my Jailbreak. Plus as I said on this or another thread the video aspect ratio for 4:3 is weird on the 5. And the taller screen - contrary to Apple's TV commercials (lol!!) does NOT fit my thumb better. I now won't be able to reach to the top of the screen with one hand. I can on my 4S.

    When the jailbreak becomes available then I will make all the adjustments to using the 5 and I'm sure really enjoy it.
    Can you share a video your talking about? Cause I've yet to come across any videos that's looked weird

  14. #154
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,383
    Thanks
    3,638
    Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,286 Posts

    YouTube videos are mostly all in 4:3.. When they start playing you'll notice they don't fill the screen left to right (in Landscape - which is how videos are meant to be watched).. If they did fill the screen they'd have to be stretched and would cut off top to bottom. On a 4S screen and below in landscape they fill the screen left to right and are allowed to expand to their normal size using correct height and width. Now if you come accross a true 16:9 video it will be natural (almost) for the new ip5 screen. But they messed up 4:3 ratio with this screen (wasted space left to right in Landscape).

    The only way to preserve proper 4:3 aspect ratio it to increase height and width of a screen - never just one. Samsung got this right in their Galaxy. Retaining 4:3 ratio, 95% of the industry's videos - is why Apple will definitely do at least one more screen increase in size for width. The 5 is an interim step and will be considered an 'oddball' one day in the future. The iPad and iPad mini are proper 4:3 ratio.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 12-25-2012 at 06:38 AM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  15. #155
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,634
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    YouTube videos are mostly all in 4:3.. When they start playing you'll notice they don't fill the screen left to right (in Landscape - which is how videos are meant to be watched).. If they did fill the screen they'd have to be stretched and would cut off top to bottom. On a 4S screen and below in landscape they fill the screen left to right and are allowed to expand to their normal size using correct height and width. Now if you come accross a true 16:9 video it will be natural (almost) for the new ip5 screen. But they messed up 4:3 ratio with this screen (wasted space left to right in Landscape).

    The only way to preserve proper 4:3 aspect ratio it to increase height and width of a screen - never just one. Samsung got this right in their Galaxy. Retaining 4:3 ratio, 95% of the industry's videos - is why Apple will definitely do at least one more screen increase in size for width. The 5 is an interim step and will be considered an 'oddball' one day in the future. The iPad and iPad mini are proper 4:3 ratio.
    Think your mistaken my friend. Anything to my knowledge recorded in HD (so pretty much all cameras and smart phones as of 2 years) which is 16:9

    I even went to YouTube and played 5 different videos on my iPhone 5. Then to my iPad mini and every video on my iPhone for the screen with no clipping and no black bars where as on the iPad mini (which off the top of my head is 4:3 but not 100 percent sure I just know like all older iPhones is not 16:9) shows the exact same content but has bars on the top and bottom.

    4:3 is a standard ratio for standard and 16:9 is for HD.

    I mean I get it you don't like the iPhone 5 and that's fine. But it feels at this point you are trying to validate that with some facts. But the problem is the facts are HD is the standard now and 16:9 is the standard for HD video. People just don't want to accept change and making a phone taller an not wider is different that every phone produced.

    To me it's the best of both world having it taller and not wider. Even though I have to stretch to tap the top left i can do it with one hand as apposed to the entire screen being bigger.

    Like i said I just went in YouTube and looked at 5 random YouTube videos and all had the same results.
    Last edited by subywrex; 12-25-2012 at 11:41 AM.

  16. #156
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,615
    Thanks
    194
    Thanked 960 Times in 703 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    YouTube videos are mostly all in 4:3.. When they start playing you'll notice they don't fill the screen left to right (in Landscape - which is how videos are meant to be watched).. If they did fill the screen they'd have to be stretched and would cut off top to bottom. On a 4S screen and below in landscape they fill the screen left to right and are allowed to expand to their normal size using correct height and width. Now if you come accross a true 16:9 video it will be natural (almost) for the new ip5 screen. But they messed up 4:3 ratio with this screen (wasted space left to right in Landscape).
    I have not come across a single video in YouTube yet that hasn't filled the iPhone 5's screen...

    I know what you're talking about though. The fact that I haven't come across them leads me to believe that your point of all YouTube videos being mostly 4:3 might be exaggerated.

    Many modern cameras record in the 16:9 ratio now. As more and more of these cameras get into the hands of users, more and more 16:9 videos are being uploaded to YouTube. So I think 4:3 has been engulfed in popularity by 16:9.

    We see how the dated iPhone 4/4S screen letterboxes those wonderful HD videos (annoying!):

    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-25-2012 at 12:21 PM.

  17. #157
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,634
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I have not come across a single video in YouTube yet that hasn't filled the iPhone 5's screen...

    I know what you're talking about though. The fact that I haven't come across them leads me to believe that your point of all YouTube videos being mostly 4:3 might be exaggerated.

    Many modern cameras record in the 16:9 ratio now. As more and more of these cameras get into the hands of users, more and more 16:9 videos are being uploaded to YouTube. So I think 4:3 has been engulfed in popularity by 16:9.

    We see how the dated iPhone 4/4S screen letterboxes those wonderful HD videos (annoying!):

    +10

    Before the iPhone 5 was even out most videos had letter boxes on them. And if they didn't they were standard definition and didn't look good anyway lol

  18. #158
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,383
    Thanks
    3,638
    Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,286 Posts

    No. Not all are 16:9 by any stretch of imagination gents. You are seeing stretching and not recognizing it as such. As I says I'm a video pro and we see it instantly. 4:3 is still the mega standard. 16:9 is getting wider agreed. And it's about time. I want it to all go there. But I assure you the iP5 is an oddball screen - it won't be on the next version of the iPhone. But time will tell won't it! .. We've best a dead horse here - we're at the agree to disagree point. The main reason I held out on the 5 was because no jailbreak. But the screen doesn't meet my needs either. I was the first in line at my Apple Store thru all versions of the iPhone since the 2G.. This time no. The talker screen doesn't fit my hand.. That's me (and many others). I love the lighter weight. And I know I will get used to all other aspects once I have it. But I assure you I'm in no rush.

    For those of you who aren't video pros - when a 4:3 video is displayed on a 16:9 screen the opposite of black bars happens.. The top and bottom get cut off to fill the screen's width. It's very noticeable to a trained eye. On YouTube things are getting magnified to fill screen. I may have confused you in my last post. If course you wouldn't see black bars.. That's the opposite problem: 16:9 on 4:3.

    Have a good Christmas guys!
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  19. #159
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,615
    Thanks
    194
    Thanked 960 Times in 703 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    No. Not all are 16:9 by any stretch of imagination gents.
    I'm sorry, but no part of what has been said here said that "all" are 16:9.

    Merry Christmas.

  20. #160
    The Big D NewdestinyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,383
    Thanks
    3,638
    Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,286 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I'm sorry, but no part of what has been said here said that "all" are 16:9..
    These are YOUR words Anthony:
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    So I think 4:3 has been engulfed in popularity by 16:9.
    That's an incorrect assessment, Anthony, and what I was responding to. The point being the popularity of 16:9 is overestimated and it makes people come to wrong conclusions; like 16:9 will assure that the iP5 screen will become a standard. It won't.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 12-25-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

+ Reply
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts