+ Reply
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Analyst: iPhone 5S in June 2013 With NFC, 128GB Storage, Colors, Better Camera

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by mustard05 I went to the store to upgrade yesterday. I couldn't do it. Almost went went the Note2. As for the iP5, I think I'm going to
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,844 Times in 878 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    I went to the store to upgrade yesterday. I couldn't do it. Almost went went the Note2. As for the iP5, I think I'm going to pass on it. If the 5s is the same, ill pass on that as well. I'll hold out with my 4s as long as I can.
    To each there own my friend. Good for thought. If you love your 4s so much why wouldn't you love even more a phone that is faster lighter thinner and just all around better?

But at the end of the day my friend what ever makes you happy. No way I could go back to using a 4s and I loved that phone. Just is to small now, to thick and way to heavy for my liking

However I will add that if your happy with your 4s you should wait for the 5s should you decide to upgrade. It's rumored to be out in first half of next year (we will see) and most likely will be a better version of the iPhone 5.

Also when it comes to technology the next best thing is always around the corner. Meaning if you wait for the iPhone 6 the iPhone 7 will be even better, so if your always waiting for the next best thing in technology you will never have anything lol.
    Last edited by subywrex; 12-17-2012 at 11:43 AM.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    But at the end of the day my friend what ever makes you happy. No way I could go back to using a 4s and I loved that phone. Just is to small now, to thick and way to heavy for my liking
    When I put my iPhone 5 and iPhone 4 side-by-side, I feel the same way. It's so heavy and the screen glass is so thick. iPhone 5 has a better quality screen that's easier on the eyes too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    When I put my iPhone 5 and iPhone 4 side-by-side, I feel the same way. It's so heavy and the screen glass is so thick. iPhone 5 has a better quality screen that's easier on the eyes too.
    Agreed!!

I will say for me I just love new technology. And not having the newest slowly eats at me lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,623 Times in 3,892 Posts

Yes, this I can totally back with my handling of the phone in-store and of a couple of my friends. Though, unlike the commercial shows our thumbs perfectly sized to the iPhone 5 cliking with one hand, my thumb doesn't get ANYWHERE close to being able to click something in row 1 of the iP5 - I do however love the lightness of it and the thinner design. The screen doesn't seem noticeably different to my eyes in side by side tests though. But I admit to not spending as much time as you owners have.. It's just a taller 4S in terms of pixels. That can have benefits as we've discussed earlier..

You weren't completely correct earlier about the website text wrapping thing, though Anthony. Though there are SOME website designers that do lock word wrap -- in 20 of 25 pages I did my testing with -- The word wrap of columns in news-based sites - was indeed dynamic in Firefox and Desktop Safari - yet NOT so in Mobile Safari. So there's a mis-alignment there somehow - such that there is no advantage for a iP5 over iP4S - even with its larger screen. Many of us aren't gamers - but only do business with our phones and news reading. How a phone works with 'news columns' is what interests me the most. And the iP5, in Landscape is NOT a clear winner over the 4S. Now I agree that NO size screen would necessarily fix this problem -- BUT -- a person considering a change to a new phone has to decided the COMPELLING reasons to do so. For me - moving to the 5 was not a compelling winner over the 4S for news text reading in Landscape- at all. And just so my point is WELL made - that it's a Mobile Safari thing.. These same websites that don't dynamic word wrap in Mobile Safari - DO in the most Android browsers I checked out. I will never go Android -- but by way of comparison again.. I was just pushing back on Subyrex a bit on the 'unbridled' statement of my friend's - that the 5 is "in every measurable way" better than the 4S... LOL!!! That's an overstatment. Not TOOOO much of an overstatement!! But one nonetheless.

What's funny is that in the last two upgrades - 3S to 4 and 4 to 4S -"I" was the guy visiting all the threads saying the same thing to people who were holding on to their older phones... I was trying to convince them that the new phone was "in EVVVEEERYY measurable way better than their previous".. So I've been giggling here watching Suby try to convince everyone -- since "I'm" usually that guy!! LOL!!!!!!!

Agreed!!

I will say for me I just love new technology. And not having the newest slowly eats at me lol.
    Yeah -- me too, bro...... And in a way I DO feel left behind at the moment... Since iPhone 2G I've been the 'first one in line' at the King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA Apple Store - FIRST to get my new iPhone on release day -- even well before 'pre-order' people - since FedEx and UPS never arrive at people's homes before the Apple Stores open on release day. So for, what's that been, "5"?. instantiations of iPhones? - I've been the first guy in the Philadelphia area to touch and use a new iPhone.. Except this time.... The difference this time is very personal.. My whole way of using a phone is now DEPENDENT upon having it jailbroken. So I'll never again get a phone on day 1 - until a jailbreak is available. What I am going to do is get myself a '5' for Christmas - activate it -- Unlock it via a $9 unlock service online.. then get my old number transferred to the 5 - then get a nano to micro SIM adapter and go back and forth between my 4S and 5 - in usage.. just to get used to the things I may like about iOS 6. I'm eager to try it out.. I'll just swap my SIM back and forth between the 4S and 5. It'll work beautifully.

That's my plan - and I'm stickin' to it!! LOL!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Yes, this I can totally back with my handling of the phone in-store and of a couple of my friends. Though, unlike the commercial shows our thumbs perfectly sized to the iPhone 5 cliking with one hand, my thumb doesn't get ANYWHERE close to being able to click something in row 1 of the iP5 - I do however love the lightness of it and the thinner design. The screen doesn't seem noticeably different to my eyes in side by side tests though. But I admit to not spending as much time as you owners have.. It's just a taller 4S in terms of pixels. That can have benefits as we've discussed earlier..

You weren't completely correct earlier about the website text wrapping thing, though Anthony. Though there are SOME website designers that do lock word wrap -- in 20 of 25 pages I did my testing with -- The word wrap of columns in news-based sites - was indeed dynamic in Firefox and Desktop Safari - yet NOT so in Mobile Safari. So there's a mis-alignment there somehow - such that there is no advantage for a iP5 over iP4S - even with its larger screen. Many of us aren't gamers - but only do business with our phones and news reading. How a phone works with 'news columns' is what interests me the most. And the iP5, in Landscape is NOT a clear winner over the 4S. Now I agree that NO size screen would necessarily fix this problem -- BUT -- a person considering a change to a new phone has to decided the COMPELLING reasons to do so. For me - moving to the 5 was not a compelling winner over the 4S for news text reading in Landscape- at all. And just so my point is WELL made - that it's a Mobile Safari thing.. These same websites that don't dynamic word wrap in Mobile Safari - DO in the most Android browsers I checked out. I will never go Android -- but by way of comparison again.. I was just pushing back on Subyrex a bit on the 'unbridled' statement of my friend's - that the 5 is "in every measurable way" better than the 4S... LOL!!! That's an overstatment. Not TOOOO much of an overstatement!! But one nonetheless.

What's funny is that in the last two upgrades - 3S to 4 and 4 to 4S -"I" was the guy visiting all the threads saying the same thing to people who were holding on to their older phones... I was trying to convince them that the new phone was "in EVVVEEERYY measurable way better than their previous".. So I've been giggling here watching Suby try to convince everyone -- since "I'm" usually that guy!! LOL!!!!!!!

Yeah -- me too, bro...... And in a way I DO feel left behind at the moment... Since iPhone 2G I've been the 'first one in line' at the King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA Apple Store - FIRST to get my new iPhone on release day -- even well before 'pre-order' people - since FedEx and UPS never arrive at people's homes before the Apple Stores open on release day. So for, what's that been, "5"?. instantiations of iPhones? - I've been the first guy in the Philadelphia area to touch and use a new iPhone.. Except this time.... The difference this time is very personal.. My whole way of using a phone is now DEPENDENT upon having it jailbroken. So I'll never again get a phone on day 1 - until a jailbreak is available. What I am going to do is get myself a '5' for Christmas - activate it -- Unlock it via a $9 unlock service online.. then get my old number transferred to the 5 - then get a nano to micro SIM adapter and go back and forth between my 4S and 5 - in usage.. just to get used to the things I may like about iOS 6. I'm eager to try it out.. I'll just swap my SIM back and forth between the 4S and 5. It'll work beautifully.

That's my plan - and I'm stickin' to it!! LOL!!
    I feel like I'm being pressured to upgrade. Lol. Just kidding. I went back to the store today to check out that Note2. I have only ever owned iPhones and I really don't feel like trying Android, but damn that phone looks intriguing to me. Oh well......

Thanks

I'll stick with my 4.
    4S is better, but not worth the difference in price.
    I find the 5's screen just wrong in portrait mode. If you watch films in landscape, maybe, but 90% lof the time (or more) my phone is in portrait and, to me, it just looks wrong.
    Not seen anything worth upgrading my 4 to yet.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I'll stick with my 4.
    I find the 5's screen just wrong in portrait mode. If you watch films in landscape, maybe, but 90% lof the time (or more) my phone is in portrait and, to me, it just looks wrong.
    I miss the battery life of my 4. I wish I had stayed with that phone TBH. The 4S is an amazing phone but the batt life suck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I'll stick with my 4.
    Oh dear. iPhone 4?

It's so slow.

I remember those days when I was patient enough to wait 10 seconds for a Facebook feed to load.

Dare I mention the laggy scrolling?

Quote Originally Posted by Mustard05
    I miss the battery life of my 4. I wish I had stayed with that phone TBH. The 4S is an amazing phone but the batt life suck.
    iPhone 4S battery is bad probably because of the UMTS HSPA+. Now I can only speculate.

My iPhone 4 got reasonable battery life, and my iPhone 5 gets 8 hours at least of usage on LTE.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-17-2012 at 04:09 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

mustard05 (12-17-2012)

Thanks

Oh dear. iPhone 4?

It's so slow.

iPhone 4S battery is bad probably because of the UMTS HSPA+. Now I can only speculate.

My iPhone 4 got reasonable battery life, and my iPhone 5 gets 8 hours at least of usage on LTE.
    How is the battery on wifi? My 4S will only get about 6 hours of usage. If I'm out and about I get about 5. It really isn't good at all. Or at least what I would like it to be.

Thanks

How is the battery on wifi? My 4S will only get about 6 hours of usage. If I'm out and about I get about 5. It really isn't good at all. Or at least what I would like it to be.
    It's 8 hours all around. I've never gotten less than 8 hours of usage. Standby on the other hand, iPhone 5 lasts a couple of days.

On the other hand, if my iPhone 5 is on 4G and not LTE, the battery life is bad. Almost as bad as the iPhone 4S. This is why I speculate that 4G HSPA+ is the reasoning behind most bad battery life on the iPhone 4S.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-17-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks

It's 8 hours all around. I've never gotten less than 8 hours of usage. Standby on the other hand, iPhone 5 lasts a couple of days.

On the other hand, if my iPhone 5 is on 4G and not LTE, the battery life is bad. Almost as bad as the iPhone 4S. This is why I speculate that 4G HSPA+ is the reasoning behind most bad battery life on the iPhone 4S.
    Is that with 'kickin' usage, Anthony? I've heard reports that the 5 is as bad as the 4S in battery life. Please say it isn't so? And is your 8 hours and "couple of days" standby report with PUSH turned on - and all features in use? Screen brightness at about what?

Thanks,
    Grant

Thanks

Is that with 'kickin' usage, Anthony? I've heard reports that the 5 is as bad as the 4S in battery life. Please say it isn't so? And is your 8 hours and "couple of days" standby report with PUSH turned on - and all features in use? Screen brightness at about what?

Thanks,
    Grant
    Yes. "Kickin'" usage as you say. I use Push and all the bells and whistles.

Thanks

Anthony, you know we are going to need another screen shot from you now. A screen shot of your usage.....the usage in settings/general/usage.

Thanks,
    Grant
    I have also heard terrible batt stories about the 5. But, I take all of those horror stories with a grain of salt.

Thanks

Oops.. Mustard beat me to it.. But, yes, Anthony - as is the expectation in all battery threads - can you post a proof shot for us ASAP.. Would love to see those kinda stats proved with a pic.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

Oops.. Mustard beat me to it.. But, yes, Anthony - as is the expectation in all battery threads - can you post a proof shot for us ASAP.. Would love to see those kinda stats proved with a pic.
    My question to you is how is the iPhone 5 not better in every single way? Bigger screen, faster, lighter, better camera, better battery, better memory. I mean the list keeps going on. Lol. Everything is better. I can't think of one single thing about the 4s that is better or even on the same level as the iPhone 5.

And even if the amount is minimal in landscape. It's still more. I am a realist. The chance of apple making another size screen is slim in my mind.

To address battery. Life always depends on how you use your phone. Today I talked on my phone a lot more than normal. My daily usage is. Safari all day long. This app, twitter, Facebook, texting. And streaming music from spotify through Bluetooth and I range from. 7-9 hours of usage.

I can't think of one single time I've had to have a charger on me to last through the day till I get home. Typically I never need to charge till I go to bed.

I use auto brightness. Also because whites are more white on the iPhone 5 this helps with not needing such high brightness.

As far as going to android. I say try it. You'll never know if you like it till you try it. I always feel that if you can't live with put a jailbreak than you are someone that will like android most likely.

I personally tried android on a Samsung GS3 and hated it. Had it as my main phone for 2 weeks and couldn't handle it anymore. Rooted it, tweaked it. Hated it.
    Last edited by subywrex; 12-17-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks

My question to you is how is the iPhone 5 not better in every single way? Bigger screen, faster, lighter, better camera, better battery, better memory. I mean the list keeps going on. Lol. Everything is better. I can't think of one single thing about the 4s that is better or even on the same level as the iPhone 5.

And even if the amount is minimal in landscape. It's still more. I am a realist. The chance of apple making another size screen is slim in my mind.

To address battery. Life always depends on how you use your phone. Today I talked on my phone a lot more than normal. My daily usage is. Safari all day long. This app, twitter, Facebook, texting. And streaming music from spotify through Bluetooth and I range from. 7-9 hours of usage.

I can't think of one single time I've had to have a charger on me to last through the day till I get home. Typically I never need to charge till I go to bed.

I use auto brightness. Also because whites are more white on the iPhone 5 this helps with not needing such high brightness.

As far as going to android. I say try it. You'll never know if you like it till you try it. I always feel that if you can't live with put a jailbreak than you are someone that will like android most likely.

I personally tried android on a Samsung GS3 and hated it. Had it as my main phone for 2 weeks and couldn't handle it anymore. Rooted it, tweaked it. Hated it.
    The only reason I jailbreak is for tethering. I have unlimited data. I only use 2 to 3 gigs a months, but I travel and it is nice to have that ability when I need it.

What was your issue with the S3? I am reading now on the Note. Trying to figure out Jelly Bean

Thanks

The only reason I jailbreak is for tethering. I have unlimited data. I only use 2 to 3 gigs a months, but I travel and it is nice to have that ability when I need it.

What was your issue with the S3? I am reading now on the Note. Trying to figure out Jelly Bean
    1 the GS3 camera sucked! The lense had to be wiped clean of finger prints everytime you use it.

The camera also I felt was not as good I'm general.

2, I Hate android. Ice cream sandwich and jelly bean. Although JB was far better I just didn't like it what so ever. Nothing seemed intuitive to me and i felt that normal every day tasks took more steps or did not make sense where to even go.

As far as setting and stuff. There seemed to be no global settings. Every single app had in depth settings that can only be done in the app rather than core functions all being in a settings app like iPhone.

Also lack of iCloud was the biggest kill for me. Nothing out beats apples ecosystem.

Android just wasnt for me. I don't care about tweaks and having to have this or that. I pay for 5gb tether plan and never go over 3.5 and I can tether jailbroken or not.

But again I have a couple iPhones, an Apple TV, an iPad mini, a MacBook Air and built a hackintosh. I can iMessage from any device , I can view and share my pictures from what ever device or computer I'm on.

iPhone just does it for me. And when you can jailbreak it's just an added bonus. Although just like android. The more cool tweaks you have the more battery you waste. I love how my stock Iphone runs so flawless! Also if my iPhone breaks I can go down to my local store and get a replacement connect to wifi and restore my phone with out a single cord to exactly what my old one was.

So yes. Android does more stuff and android is open. But android is not for me

Thanks

You bring up a good point that has me hesitant. I have 3 Atv's, 3 MBP, an iPad and a mini, plus 2 airport extremes. I have built a very reliable ecosystem based around Apple devices. I have also never used any other phone other than an iPhone. If I dont like the Note I guess I could return it.

Thanks

You bring up a good point that has me hesitant. I have 3 Atv's, 3 MBP, an iPad and a mini, plus 2 airport extremes. I have built a very reliable ecosystem based around Apple devices. I have also never used any other phone other than an iPhone. If I dont like the Note I guess I could return it.
    True story. But I can tell you right now. As vested in apple as you are. You may not like android lol. Doesn't communicate anything apple

I also found that because android is open I was constantly trying different roms, different kernels different everything. It was more tinkering than anything. All for real no reason other than I could lol
    Last edited by subywrex; 12-17-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks

True story. But I can tell you right now. As vested in apple as you are. You may not like android lol. Doesn't communicate anything apple

I also found that because android is open I was constantly trying different roms, different kernels different everything. It was more tinkering than anything. All for real no reason other than I could lol
    I think I'm going to jump off the cliff and try Android. This thread has given me a lot to think about. I appreciate everyone's help. I think I'm going to try the Note2. I will know very quickly if it's not for me. But I do not see Apple making a bigger iPhone soon, and honestly, there are only 3 things I am concerned with, 1. bigger screen, 2. battery life and 3. the ability to tether. I will be keeping my 4S and I have several iP4's so I'm not to worried about breaking up my Eco system.

Still, I may change my mind though. I can be very indecisive with purchases sometimes. I'm that guy that went to the store everyday for a month(seriously) to play with the 17inch rMBP. I will say I love that machine. Best computer I have ever owned. I can't believe I tools so long to just buy it.

+ Reply
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast