+ Reply
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Analyst: iPhone 5S in June 2013 With NFC, 128GB Storage, Colors, Better Camera

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by subywrex I also re read the response you gave to me about no difference in size and realize that you were using the phone in landscape. By
    My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    I also re read the response you gave to me about no difference in size and realize that you were using the phone in landscape.

By turning the phone in landscape you have proven my point that making something wider does NOT give you the extra content like making something taller. like you said you only got one extra word per line.
    Yea, my issue is I want "larger" content on the screen, not "more" content on the screen. I love the iPhone5 though. It is sexy!!!! But more content is not as important.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    Yea, my issue is I want "larger" content on the screen, not "more" content on the screen. I love the iPhone5 though. It is sexy!!!! But more content is not as important.
    You do realize that as the screen gets bigger the objects don't right? The point of manf making larger screens is to fit more content in it. This is why the iPad shares the same size navigation bars and font size on the iPad.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,992 Times in 4,512 Posts

You do realize that as the screen gets bigger the objects don't right? The point of manf making larger screens is to fit more content in it. This is why the iPad shares the same size navigation bars and font size on the iPad.
    I'm usually with you, Suby, on issues like this but I'm not sure I can be on this one. When they made it only taller they messed up the natural video "aspect ratio". I'm an audiovideo professional and that matters to me.

You're right that the size of objects didn't change in terms of text. We do get more words left to right now in landscape.

But the other guy's right too. You don't get a lot more. Not on the iPhone 5 I tested in the store side-by-side with my 4S. When we finally get our jailbreak, I'm excited about the new row of icons and space even if it's only on a "taller" iPhone. But Apple will indeed do one more size increase to get the aspect ratio for video back to a normal standard.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 12-14-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

mustard05 (12-14-2012)

Thanks

Or they could just reduce the size of the screen on the next iPhone back to the 'proper' size....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Sorry, I meant when you double tap the screen to in large articles or images.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    I'm usually with you, Suby, on issues like this but I'm not sure I can be on this one. When they made it only taller they messed up the natural video "aspect ratio". I'm an audiovideo professional and that matters to me.

You're right that the size of objects didn't change in terms of text. We do get more words left to right now in landscape.

But the other guy's right too. You don't get a lot more. Not on the iPhone 5 I tested in the store side-by-side with my 4S. When we finally get our jailbreak, I'm excited about the new row of icons and space even if it's only on a "taller" iPhone. But Apple will indeed do one more size increase to get the aspect ratio for video back to a normal standard.
    Respect my friend!! I'd disagree with saying there isn't a lot of extra content. Visit that link I posted. Those are side by side screen shots of the two sizes.

On the video. Maybe it's cause I'm no a video pro but isn't the 16:9 aspect the size of normal HD content ? I beleive that was the whole point of the screen change was to make the screen sized to a 16:9 ratio because that is the industry standard for HD video

Thanks

I'm def no pro at video/media stuff, but I don't think it looks right with the current screen size.

I tried to look at your screen shots on several different devices but they don't display correctly. Oh well, guess I should take a video class.

Thanks

On the video. Maybe it's cause I'm no a video pro but isn't the 16:9 aspect the size of normal HD content ? I beleive that was the whole point of the screen change was to make the screen sized to a 16:9 ratio because that is the industry standard for HD video
    Yes, the iP5 screen is closer to 16:9 ratio. It's not a perfect 16:9 but better than iPhone 4. But my point was in that in stretching it only heightwise and not widthwise they messed up the 4:3 ratio which is what most professionals need as a reference point as well. Not to mention 95% of the video watching we do out there in the Internet world is all 4:3 ratio. Apple will definitely eventually meet the Samsung Galaxy S3 size ratio. It's definitely what the majority of phone users want for video and screen size. Maybe a little smaller but they'll get back to more about 4:3 ratio. This phone is wonderful for HD movies but terrible for all other video.

And as to your website examples. All of them are in portrait mode. And it none of them are examples of text on screen. They're all pictures of the springboard stuff only. There are no text examples. I believe that's on purpose because the difference when reading text in Landscape is negligible.

I'm def no pro at video/media stuff, but I don't think it looks right with the current screen size.

I tried to look at your screen shots on several different devices but they don't display correctly. Oh well, guess I should take a video class.
    You have to view his website examples on a computer monitor. Not the phone. The difference between an iPhone five and iPhone 4, in screen size, is very very noticeable.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 12-15-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks

Like I said. I want a bigger iPhone and I have no prob waiting a couple years. I am happy with my 4S.

Although, I was Checking out that Note 2 last night. I'm am kind of curious. Lol

Thanks

Yes, the iP5 screen is closer to 16:9 ratio. It's not a perfect 16:9 but better than iPhone 4. But my point was in that in stretching it only heightwise and not widthwise they messed up the 4:3 ratio which is what most professionals need as a reference point as well. Not to mention 95% of the video watching we do out there in the Internet world is all 4:3 ratio. Apple will definitely eventually meet the Samsung Galaxy S3 size ratio. It's definitely what the majority of phone users want for video and screen size. Maybe a little smaller but they'll get back to more about 4:3 ratio. This phone is wonderful for HD movies but terrible for all other video.

And as to your website examples. All of them are in portrait mode. And it none of them are examples of text on screen. They're all pictures of the springboard stuff only. There are no text examples. I believe that's on purpose because the difference when reading text in Landscape is negligible.

You have to view his website examples on a computer monitor. Not the phone. The difference between an iPhone five and iPhone 4, in screen size, is very very noticeable.
    You didn't look. At them all it was a screenshot of every single stock application. With examples of safari as well as mail. The paint is in the default position (portrait) the viewable area is much greater. 90 percent of people I know hardly use landscape.

I'm not against a wider screen, however I still don't get the reference point and how that would matter on a small *** phone lol.

Anyway my friend we can't always agree on anything. My main point was. The iPhone 5 is just a better phone period. Bigger screen, faster thinner lighter. When I play around with my 4s it feels dated, heavy and small. When I had my Samsung S3 it felt to big and didn't like the plastic casing. As of right now I think the iPhone 5 is a great middle ground for those who wanted a larger screen with out sacrificing the form factor

Should work on your iPhone. However with its smaller screen it could be harder to see lmao

I also felt it was weird after the first day of using it as my main phone I picked up my 4s and pretty much just turned it off.

It's all what your eyes are use too. Now it's been months of using this phone and 4s size screen is the one that seems short and stubby and unnatural.
    Last edited by subywrex; 12-15-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks

I feel the same way after I bought the 17inch RetinaMBP. Whenever I use my mid 2010 MPB 13inch, it looks so small and the screen looks horrible. I know it really isn't, I have just adjusted to something bigger and better.

Thanks

You didn't look. At them all it was a screenshot of every single stock application. With examples of safari as well as mail. The paint is in the default position (portrait) the viewable area is much greater. 90 percent of people I know hardly use landscape.

I'm not against a wider screen, however I still don't get the reference point and how that would matter on a small *** phone lol.

Anyway my friend we can't always agree on anything. My main point was. The iPhone 5 is just a better phone period. Bigger screen, faster thinner lighter. When I play around with my 4s it feels dated, heavy and small. When I had my Samsung S3 it felt to big and didn't like the plastic casing. As of right now I think the iPhone 5 is a great middle ground for those who wanted a larger screen with out sacrificing the form factor
    I looked at every picture, bro.. Top to bottom of screen. Didnt see any text examples. Sorry. But I'd already compared my 4S to 5 side by side in Apple Store. And I agree with u 100% about the 5 being better than 4S in nearly every measurable way. But not in EVERY way and for EVERY application. That was your assertion. And even more to the point. It's not jailbreakable yet. That automatically makes a 4S better for most of us - since a stock phone is inferior to JBroken in almost every measurable way.

Good discussion - we're definitely at the agree to disagree point, Suby.. Cya 'round...

Thanks

I looked at every picture, bro.. Top to bottom of screen. Didnt see any text examples. Sorry. But I'd already compared my 4S to 5 side by side in Apple Store. And I agree with u 100% about the 5 being better than 4S in nearly every measurable way. But not in EVERY way and for EVERY application. That was your assertion. And even more to the point. It's not jailbreakable yet. That automatically makes a 4S better for most of us - since a stock phone is inferior to JBroken in almost every measurable way.

Good discussion - we're definitely at the agree to disagree point, Suby.. Cya 'round...
    Word. I just am having a hard time understanding how a phone that has a screen almost a half inch taller is hard for you to see more text? Lol.

Anyway bro good discussion much respect ! 👍👊

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 766 Posts

Word. I just am having a hard time understanding how a phone that has a screen almost a half inch taller is hard for you to see more text? Lol.

Anyway bro good discussion much respect ! ����
    There is definitely more text. You are right.

More content is displayed per scroll-page (yes this is now a unit of measurement) on the taller four-inch display than the shorter 3.5-inch display.

Also, since I think landscape mode was brought up, yes, the iPhone 5's four-inch display shows more content than the iPhone 4/4S's 3.5-inch display:

Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-15-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    There is definitely more text. You are right.

More content is displayed per scroll-page (yes this is now a unit of measurement) on the taller four-inch display than the shorter 3.5-inch display.

Also, since I think landscape mode was brought up, yes, the iPhone 5's four-inch display shows more content than the iPhone 4/4S's 3.5-inch display:

Your the man lol

Regardless was nice to have non hate discussions on this forum for once

Thanks

Anyway bro good discussion much respect ! 👍👊
    The problem gentlemen is that Safari isn't intelligent enough to allow greater word wrap in Landscape mode on larger screen. When you double tap on a text box it just enlargens the text - doesn't give you more on the 5. In Portrait mode you get more lines - but text too small to read. That's why many of us move to Landscape to read safari text. Also some web pages freeze word wrap and don't allow resize. They format web blocks to Landscape not Portrait most of the time. Better websites allow for dynamic word wrapping. Safari in iOS 6 doesn't seem to do that well in landscape mode. Or in portrait for that matter. You tap on the text box on the iPhone 5 it just enlarges the text and doesn't give you more words per line. At least that's what I observed in my tests at the store. So I'm saying something objective here not subjective, fellas. .. It's a better phone than the 4S in "almost" every way.

Thanks

The problem gentlemen is that Safari isn't intelligent enough to allow greater word wrap in Landscape mode on larger screen.
    This is the difference between Web design and application formatting. It's not Safari, it's the fact that Web developers create Web pages to appear a certain way and it gets harder to make the Web pages appear a certain way when there are all of these different screen sizes and shapes coming out. For this reason, Web developers do not make a page look a certain way on certain devices – they make a type of cookie-cutter template designed to look the same on all of these different screens, or they make a mobile version.

Every application I've tested so far makes better use of the display with wrapping or more visual pixels because application developers know that iOS applications are only being installed on iOS and they can make it fit about 4-6 different screen sizes with no problem (that's much less than 2,000 types of screen sizes). Safari is the only application that does not wrap content because it's only going to render the HTML code the way it's told to. It's not going to wrap anything unless the HTML code dictates that it's okay to, which would look ugly and is why Web developers will leave this feature out a lot of times.

Text does not wrap on most professional Web sites in modern desktop browsers either for this very same reason:

(Mozilla Firefox)

Text wrapping is an accessibility matter.

One thing I've noticed is that when you enter landscape mode in Mobile Safari from the iPhone 5, content has been zoomed in a bit, so you actually see less content than on the iPhone 4/4S in one scroll-page. However, I think the pros outweigh the cons, as you can now see larger text because of the zoom. It may not be much, but it's enough that I was able to notice it from a glance:

Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-16-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks

This is the difference between Web design and application formatting. It's not Safari, it's the fact that Web developers create Web pages to appear a certain way and it gets harder to make the Web pages appear a certain way when there are all of these different screen sizes and shapes coming out. For this reason, Web developers do not make a page look a certain way on certain devices – they make a type of cookie-cutter template designed to look the same on all of these different screens, or they make a mobile version.

Every application I've tested so far makes better use of the display with wrapping or more visual pixels because application developers know that iOS applications are only being installed on iOS and they can make it fit about 4-6 different screen sizes with no problem (that's much less than 2,000 types of screen sizes). Safari is the only application that does not wrap content because it's only going to render the HTML code the way it's told to. It's not going to wrap anything unless the HTML code dictates that it's okay to, which would look ugly and is why Web developers will leave this feature out a lot of times.

Text does not wrap on most professional Web sites in modern desktop browsers either for this very same reason:

(Mozilla Firefox)

Text wrapping is an accessibility matter.

One thing I've noticed is that when you enter landscape mode in Mobile Safari from the iPhone 5, content has been zoomed in a bit, so you actually see less content than on the iPhone 4/4S in one scroll-page. However, I think the pros outweigh the cons, as you can now see larger text because of the zoom. It may not be much, but it's enough that I was able to notice it from a glance:

I will say, it is very refreshing that we are all having discussion, and not an argument. Kudos to everyone in the conversation!

Anthony, thanks for those pics.

Does any one have any screen shots of games on both devices? I would love to see if there is a noticeable difference on games like ShadowGun or MW. More specifically shooter games, but I would be interested to see Angry birds or something close. This discussion has honestly made me more interested in actually possibly upgrading.

Thanks

I will say, it is very refreshing that we are all having discussion, and not an argument. Kudos to everyone in the conversation!

Anthony, thanks for those pics.

Does any one have any screen shots of games on both devices? I would love to see if there is a noticeable difference on games like ShadowGun or MW. More specifically shooter games, but I would be interested to see Angry birds or something close. This discussion has honestly made me more interested in actually possibly upgrading.
    I'm glad to hear my screenshot comparisons are helping. Here are some of the game screenshots you requested:

In both situations, you can see that the game is not just "stretched out" for the iPhone 5 display. There is actually more background content being seen.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

subywrex (12-16-2012)

Thanks

I'm glad to hear my screenshot comparisons are helping. Here are some of the game screenshots you requested:

In both situations, you can see that the game is not just "stretched out" for the iPhone 5 display. There is actually more background content being seen.
    I went to the store to upgrade yesterday. I couldn't do it. Almost went went the Note2. As for the iP5, I think I'm going to pass on it. If the 5s is the same, ill pass on that as well. I'll hold out with my 4s as long as I can.

+ Reply
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast