Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 235

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Analyst: iPhone 5S in June 2013 With NFC, 128GB Storage, Colors, Better Camera

  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Suby you always state your opinions as if they were facts. That's why you end up in so many arguments with people here. You have called me crazy about 10 times so far in this conversation. It was starting to get irritating when I know these facts and work with them every single day of my life. Read a little more about Aspect ratio, bro and new standards. I know that I can tend to overstate things too, my friend. Maybe that's why we hit heads as often as we do. No we been agreeing a lot more lately. :-)

    I think, like me, you like a universe in which you can make "global" statements about everything, like when you said the iPhone 5 is superior in "every" way over the 4S. I mentioned one way in which the 4S is still superior and you can't live with that. You have to make your "universal truth" be the final word on the topic.

    Listen, bro, we fight a similar battle with tha wanting the last word. Lol!! So let's just "agree to disagree" which we did about 40 posts ago and not bring the topic up again.

    If something is an opinion of yours you need to change the way you word your statements, my friend. I know, I do too. :-)
    Ok fact. The iPhone 5 displays 4:3 video in the the EXACT same size. That's is due to the fact that when flipped to landscape the screens share the same height. But because the iPhone 5 is taller (wider when in landscape) it is able to view HD content with out having to shrink it smaller than the screen so there is no clipping.

    So please explain to me how the iPhone 5 does not handle video better than the iPhone 4S?

    Yes in every way the 5 has been improved. All hardware, cameras, memory, weight, thickness, screen size, battery. The list goes on.

    Some things may be marginal but, literally the iPhone 5 is better than the iPhone 4S.

    Secondly my opinion is my opinion. I do not claim to know percentages, I go off what I see daily. I've had every iPhone on launch day sense the first in 2007. So I think I have a pretty good idea on the subject.

    Facts are facts. Compare specs from an iPhone 4S to an iPhone 5 and you will see literally everything has been improved. I find it very weird that your argument that the iPhone 5's flaw is the fact that 4:3 videos have title blocks on the sides, even though the video literally is in the exact same width and height as a 4s.

    As stated before I'm not a video pro. What I know is that when I go see a movie it's in wide screen. When I watch network TV shows they are mostly in HD, when I watch YouTube videos uploaded by professionals they are in 16:9 or wider, when I go to Netflix I stream in HD, when I rent a movie it's in HD. The times I come across non wide screen formats are far less.

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Yeah.. Fair enough, Krima. Good point. I was speaking generally but since I've challenged Suby I should provide some data. Let me find something. Good challenge, Krima.
    You do realize I've asked you to do this a number of times in this one thread right? Lol
    Last edited by subywrex; 01-08-2013 at 07:40 PM.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    As stated before I'm not a video pro. What I know is that when I go see a movie it's in wide screen. When I watch network TV shows they are mostly in HD, when I watch YouTube videos uploaded by professionals they are in 16:9 or wider, when I go to Netflix I stream in HD, when I rent a movie it's in HD. The times I come across non wide screen formats are far less.

    You do realize I've asked you to do this a number of times in this one thread right? Lol
    I too have been the first in line on launch day since iPhone 2G (except for iP5 - because I wasn't impressed at first). So I know as much about these phones as you do, bro.

    We're done, Suby. See you in next thread, bro.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    I too have been the first in line on launch day since iPhone 2G (except for iP5 - because I wasn't impressed at first). So I know as much about these phones as you do, bro.

    We're done, Suby. See you in next thread, bro.
    Lol for sure 👍

  4. #204
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,762
    Thanks
    43,387
    Thanked 18,784 Times in 6,741 Posts

    Wow! Bravo! Bravo!

    So who won? It was just getting good. Now what do I do with the rest of my popcorn?

    I luv you guys
    Widget Weather 2.0 App Currently in Public Beta for iOS 8 only!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather 2.0

  5. #205
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Wow! Bravo! Bravo!

    So who won? It was just getting good. Now what do I do with the rest of my popcorn?

    I luv you guys
    Lmao. Don't you worry we will have more in the next thread hahaha.

  6. #206
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Wow! Bravo! Bravo!

    So who won? It was just getting good. Now what do I do with the rest of my popcorn?

    I luv you guys
    lol!!!
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Yeah, I don't think I'm a light iPhone user. I'm just reasonable with my preferences.
    Anthony -- we were talking battery life issues on iP5 and 6.0.2 and your amazing results. You told us your 'kind of usage' - but you mentioned that you have different 'preferences' in getting your battery life results. Do you mean certain settings you leave off (like Push) - or maybe you only have one mail account? Or do you leave your screen really dark - very little brightness? I'd like to try and match your settings and see if I can get your battery life.. Can you give me your 'settings preferences' that you're talking about, please?

    Grant

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Anthony -- we were talking battery life issues on iP5 and 6.0.2 and your amazing results. You told us your 'kind of usage' - but you mentioned that you have different 'preferences' in getting your battery life results. Do you mean certain settings you leave off (like Push) - or maybe you only have one mail account? Or do you leave your screen really dark - very little brightness? I'd like to try and match your settings and see if I can get your battery life.. Can you give me your 'settings preferences' that you're talking about, please?

    Grant
    • Leave push alone
    • Brightness at a comfortable 1/4 slider (Auto on)
    • LTE enabled (3-4 bars constantly)
    • Wi-Fi throughout much of the day, LTE when away from home
    • Notifications for social networking apps only (Phone, Messages, Twitter, Facebook, Mail, Reminders, Calendar)
    • Lock sounds off
    • Bluetooth off
    • Location Services only for apps that need it (Maps, Compass, PayPal, Siri, Speedtest, Trailers, Weather, Find iPhone)
    • Location Services only for services that need it (Cell Network Search, Compass Calibration, Traffic)
    • Photo Stream disabled
    • Do Not Disturb from 12AM-10AM
    • iTunes Wi-Fi Sync disabled
    • Auto-lock set to Never
    • Flash off when taking pictures
    • Ringer/silent switch set to ringer

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

    NewdestinyX (01-23-2013)

  10. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    • Leave push alone
    • Brightness at a comfortable 1/4 slider (Auto on)
    • LTE enabled (3-4 bars constantly)
    • Wi-Fi throughout much of the day, LTE when away from home
    • Notifications for social networking apps only (Phone, Messages, Twitter, Facebook, Mail, Reminders, Calendar)
    • Lock sounds off
    • Bluetooth off
    • Location Services only for apps that need it (Maps, Compass, PayPal, Siri, Speedtest, Trailers, Weather, Find iPhone)
    • Location Services only for services that need it (Cell Network Search, Compass Calibration, Traffic)
    • Photo Stream disabled
    • Do Not Disturb from 12AM-10AM
    • iTunes Wi-Fi Sync disabled
    • Auto-lock set to Never
    • Flash off when taking pictures
    • Ringer/silent switch set to ringer
    Thanks. I could never live with brightness set to 1/4. Can't see it in sunlight. I need at least half. You've got young man's eyes there. ;-) What does DO NOT DISTURB turn off when it's on that would be battery draining? I though it just stopped phone calls from coming in to all except favorites list? I don't get that many calls as it is during those hours anyway. None in fact. Would like to know how that uses battery. How does PhotoStream use battery? How does AutoLock set to NEVER save battery? I would think it would drain it if you forget to turn off phone every time you're done with it? I do have to go through my Notifications and Location services. I wish you could stop the phone from asking you to turn them on when you force them off. That's so annoying and reason why I just leave them on most of the time. EVERY SINGLE time you go into an app that's want location or notification turned on it asks you no matter how many times DON'T ALLOW. SO annoying..

    I did notice I had BlueTooth on by accident. I guess that got switched back on when I restored from backup 'cause I know I turned it off when I got the phone.

    How many email accounts do you have?
    How many emails a day do you get?

    Thanks,
    Grant
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-23-2013 at 02:43 PM.

  11. #210
    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Thanks. I could never live with brightness set to 1/4. Can't see it in sunlight. I need at least half. You've got young man's eyes there. ;-) What does DO NOT DISTURB turn off when it's on that would be battery draining? I though it just stopped phone calls from coming in to all except favorites list? I don't get that many calls as it is during those hours anyway. None in fact. Would like to know how that uses battery. How does PhotoStream use battery? How does AutoLock set to NEVER save battery? I would think it would drain it if you forget to turn off phone every time you're done with it? I do have to go through my Notifications and Location services. I wish you could stop the phone from asking you to turn them on when you force them off. That's so annoying and reason why I just leave them on most of the time. EVERY SINGLE time you go into an app that's want location or notification turned on it asks you no matter how many times DON'T ALLOW. SO annoying..

    I did notice I had BlueTooth on by accident. I guess that got switched back on when I restored from backup 'cause I know I turned it off when I got the phone.

    How many email accounts do you have?
    How many emails a day do you get?

    Thanks,
    Grant
    Do Not Disturb

    Keeps the lock screen from lighting up every time you get a notification. Keeps vibrator from going off when you get notifications. Doesn't emit any sounds when you receive a notification.

    Photo Stream

    Shared photo stream allows people to comment on your photos, you get notifications for these. Photo stream uploads photos in the background, also uses battery life in the transmission of data.

    Auto-lock Never

    Doesn't save battery, just personal preference of mine.

    E-mail accounts

    I use 3, one for ModMyi, one for personal use, one for professional use. ModMyi e-mail is active 24/7 because of users, developers, co-workers. Personal use gets all my subscription e-mails. Professional use gets nearly no usage, apart from Apple account notifications.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

    NewdestinyX (01-23-2013)

  13. #211
    Well this was more of a medium usage day for me and using most of your preferences there I'm getting better battery. I did not realize my Bluetooth was on and that can save a lot of battery. My PUSH is back on with 2 email accts Push and 2 others Fetch every 30 minutes.

    My brightness is set to 45% or so and Auto on. All other things set as you have them set. Except I'll likely not get the benefit of DoNotDisturb because I need to charge my phone to full every night anyway. Most people do.

    So this pic gives me hope for my ip5 on 6.0.2. Thanks for the tips, Anyhony!


    And I was only plugged in for one minute, long enough to get iTunes Wi-Fi sync turned off which has to be done while plugged into your computer. So those are still real numbers there in that pic.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  14. #212
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,718
    Thanks
    6,952
    Thanked 15,502 Times in 7,090 Posts

    Yours says it has been plugged in though so that's not really an accurate reading.
    Here's mine. I'm on 6.1 beta though.



    Edit: just saw your edit adding the plugged in for 1 minute thing.

    Mines pretty good, especially considering I was playing some games today on it.

  15. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Well this was more of a medium usage day for me and using most of your preferences there I'm getting better battery. I did not realize my Bluetooth was on and that can save a lot of battery. My PUSH is back on with 2 email accts Push and 2 others Fetch every 30 minutes.

    My brightness is set to 45% or so and Auto on. All other things set as you have them set. Except I'll likely not get the benefit of DoNotDisturb because I need to charge my phone to full every night anyway. Most people do.

    So this pic gives me hope for my ip5 on 6.0.2. Thanks for the tips, Anyhony!


    And I was only plugged in for one minute, long enough to get iTunes Wi-Fi sync turned off which has to be done while plugged into your computer. So those are still real numbers there in that pic.
    Fetch e-mail every 15 minutes is also a better choice than Push.

    I use push for ModMyi e-mail, for obvious reasons.

  16. #214
    Anthony, I got these results yesterday using your plan - but also charging my phone fully BEFORE bedtime and NOT leaving it on charger all night. Also for several hours yesterday my SIM was out and in my 4S. So that may have padded these results a bit.

    But all in all I'm getting more pleased with the difference your few tweaks can make. These are iPhone 4 on 4.2.8 kinds of battery life numbers.

    But Riddle me this: if you leave your Phone on the charger all night, like most of us out here in the real world do, how is using the Do Not Disturb setting overnight any savings of battery at all - since any screen coming on from banners would be while the phone is plugged in and not be a drain at all?
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  17. #215
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,762
    Thanks
    43,387
    Thanked 18,784 Times in 6,741 Posts

    That is a good point. Obviously if your phone is plugged in, you shouldn't be experiencing any battery drain.
    Widget Weather 2.0 App Currently in Public Beta for iOS 8 only!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather 2.0

  18. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    That is a good point. Obviously if your phone is plugged in, you shouldn't be experiencing any battery drain.
    Agreed. DND shouldn't have any barring on batter life if when its being used his phone is charging.

    Now the other thing is he may not charge at night. So if his phone is on DND and he sleeps 8 hours his stand by times will be awesome

  19. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Agreed. DND shouldn't have any barring on batter life if when its being used his phone is charging.

    Now the other thing is he may not charge at night. So if his phone is on DND and he sleeps 8 hours his stand by times will be awesome
    Yeah.. That's what I did in my last test. Most people don't realize it only takes about 50-70 min for a full charge. They just leave it charge all night (which has to decrease battery life in the long run - I could be wrong). So I now charge my battery before I go to bed - while I'm using it late at night. And put on DND and wake up with it still at 100%. This has increased my Standby time. Don't know if it means anything or helps anything.

    But the vast majority leave it charging all night so I'll do further testing of Anthony's tweaks by leaving it charging all night. And see if Anthony's minor preference changes increase battery life significantly.

    I know one major hit to battery life on iPhone 5 is Bluetooth. They must have beefed up the Bluetooth transmitter in the 5. When you turn it off it makes massive savings to batt life.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 01-26-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  20. #218
    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Yeah.. That's what I did in my last test. Most people don't realize it only takes about 50-70 min for a full charge. They just leave it charge all night (which has to decrease battery life in the long run - I could be wrong). So I now charge my battery before I go to bed - while I'm using it late at night. And put on DND and wake up with it still at 100%. This has increased my Standby time. Don't know if it means anything or helps anything.

    But the vast majority leave it charging all night so I'll do further testing of Anthony's tweaks by leaving it charging all night. And see if Anthony's minor preference changes increase battery life significantly.

    I know one major hit to battery life on iPhone 5 is Bluetooth. They must have beefed up the Bluetooth transmitter in the 5. When you turn it off it makes massive savings to batt life.
    I hit 8 hours usage and have my Bluetooth on at all times. Haven't seem any substantial loss in batter life

    Also about leaving your phone on charge all night. As far as I have read this is not the case. The lithium ion batteries have a life span of 400 charge cycles before it will start loosing its capacity.

    Also because of it being a lithium ion a charge cycle does not mean you have to drain your battery. If you used 50 percent battery then charged it and the next day used another 50% and then charged that would only count as one full charge cycle. Even though you stopped it half way through.

    Also the apple charger prevents over charging. Your phone will fast charge up to 80% then go on a trickle charge. Once your phone batter is full it will stop accepting a charge. Sometimes people will wake up and see that there phone is on 98 percent, this is because the charger simply stopped charging, then if left on charge at one point the charging will kick back in to get to 100%

  21. #219
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,762
    Thanks
    43,387
    Thanked 18,784 Times in 6,741 Posts

    Suby is 100% correct here. I can't drill this into my son's head yet.
    Widget Weather 2.0 App Currently in Public Beta for iOS 8 only!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather 2.0

  22. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    I hit 8 hours usage and have my Bluetooth on at all times. Haven't seem any substantial loss in batter life
    That's not the point. You should try it WITHOUT BlueTooth on. Remember - you were the one complaining that NO ONE got battery like like Anthony. Well I am now. If you're happy with only 8 hours a day - great!! I am not. Apple's specs promise higher and I want what i was promised.

    Also because of it being a lithium ion a charge cycle does not mean you have to drain your battery. If you used 50 percent battery then charged it and the next day used another 50% and then charged that would only count as one full charge cycle. Even though you stopped it half way through.
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Suby is 100% correct here. I can't drill this into my son's head yet.
    Well this topic has been debated at MANY a forum with experts from all sides of the issue coming to loggerheads on the real deal. I have no pony in this show. I will say - that my battery drain rate is NEVER accurate when I buy a phone - until I give it a FULL charge from 1% to full. After that - battery life gets better and better. And after about 4 weeks I have to do it again - otherwise the battery life is bad. Whether that means the full drain and recharge only helps the battery indicator or the battery itself I'll leave for the gurus to argue. And they DO argue. All I know - is that I need to do a full drain from time to time or my battery life gets bad. I can prove it again and again. And I have in other threads at other forums. It's easy to prove.

    Also the apple charger prevents over charging. Your phone will fast charge up to 80% then go on a trickle charge. Once your phone batter is full it will stop accepting a charge. Sometimes people will wake up and see that there phone is on 98 percent, this is because the charger simply stopped charging, then if left on charge at one point the charging will kick back in to get to 100%
    Yes, I had read this. Thanks for the reminder, Suby.

    Good chat, gentleman - very helpful.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •