+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5 Currently $50-off At Best Buy

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX You mean with Best Buy? This isn't the case with Apple purchase online or inStore. But thanks for info. Strange that Best Buy will make you
    iPhone? More like MyPhone kyphur's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    You mean with Best Buy? This isn't the case with Apple purchase online or inStore.

But thanks for info. Strange that Best Buy will make you bring in your online purchased phone to get activated when all iPhones, in box, are activate able from home. Weird.
    Yes, it's Best Buy's policy that they must activate every iPhone 5 we sell in store. This is true even if you pay full price.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,145 Times in 4,592 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kyphur View Post
    Yes, it's Best Buy's policy that they must activate every iPhone 5 we sell in store. This is true even if you pay full price.
    So - I buy from Best Buy - online... There's no way they can stop me from activating at home. Unenforceable - Best Buy policy or not. That's the 'whole story'. I appreciate why, as an employee of Best Buy you won't be able to confirm or deny my claim there, Kyphur. Thanks for your input!

Grant
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

So - I buy from Best Buy - online... There's no way they can stop me from activating at home. Unenforceable - Best Buy policy or not. That's the 'whole story'. I appreciate why, as an employee of Best Buy you won't be able to confirm or deny my claim there, Kyphur. Thanks for your input!

Grant
    Check Bestbuy.com, you'll see that your only option is in-store pick-up...

Since you can't get it home before it has been activated in store it is absolutely enforceable and that's "the rest of the story", sorry.

BTW, not trying to be a smart@$$ just having fun with a little turn of words...
    Last edited by kyphur; 12-10-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks

Check Bestbuy.com, you'll see that your only option is in-store pick-up...

Since you can't get it home before it has been activated in store it is absolutely enforceable and that's "the rest of the story", sorry.

BTW, not trying to be a smart@$$ just having fun with a little turn of words...
    Well that's a completely useless application of online buying. Who would ever pay for shipping if you have to come in to store anyway. Dumb policy. Not worth the $50 savings.

For my needs I'll have to buy online from Apple themselves and activate when I'm ready.

Thanks!

Thanks

Well that's a completely useless application of online buying. Who would ever pay for shipping if you have to come in to store anyway. Dumb policy. Not worth the $50 savings.

For my needs I'll have to buy online from Apple themselves and activate when I'm ready.

Thanks!
    You never pay for shipping on in-store pick-up orders...

There are plenty of iPhone customers who prefer the personal service offered by Best Buy Mobile and don't mind coming into the store for their devices.

It's all about personal preferences...

Thanks

You never pay for shipping on in-store pick-up orders...

There are plenty of iPhone customers who prefer the personal service offered by Best Buy Mobile and don't mind coming into the store for their devices.

It's all about personal preferences...
    Oh sure. Agreed. And I admit I have a unique need here. I mean I'm not alone on this - but in the minority for sure.

But comparing Apples to Apples - the Apple Stores let you buy in store and activate at home.

There has to be some salesman kickback for activating in store at Best Buy. There's a reason why Best Buy is requiring a trip to the store - other than just a chance to offer good customer service. There's some 'other' reason.

Also not trying to be a smarta** on this end either.. But it doesn't add up. I'm pretty sure AT&T and Verizon also require the same thing when in store - but that makes more sense to me for some reason. Best Buy is not a carrier store but a 'broker' of many carriers.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 12-10-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks

Oh sure. Agreed. And I admit I have a unique need here. I mean I'm not alone on this - but in the minority for sure.

But comparing Apples to Apples - the Apple Stores let you buy in store and activate at home.

There has to be some salesman kickback for activating in store at Best Buy. There's a reason why Best Buy is requiring a trip to the store - other than just a chance to offer good customer service. There's some 'other' reason.
    There is no kickback to activating in store, all authorized resellers (which is basically anyone offering AT&T service except the corporate stores) make their money on the contract (upgrade or new line) and the device sale.

The reasons are truly related to providing the best customer service possible to the greatest number of customers. Imagine how many customers would be disappointed if all of BBYM's iPhone 5 inventory was shipped to private homes instead of available in store. A lot of iPhone users are buying their first iDevice (for many it's even their first smartphone), they want the "Walk Out Working" service provided at BBYM. It's the same for GSP (Geek Squad Protection) on iPhones, it costs more that AppleCare+ but also provides more service with no limit on claims for accidental damage, no deductible, rapid exchange, and free loaner phone (with a deposit of course) not to mention with about 1,100 Best Buy stores many more people live close to a BBY than an Apple Store.

As you've said BBYM's business model just isn't for everyone but it does appeal to large enough crowd to keep them going strong.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nice price with a good features Phone.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12