+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'BrightVol' Allows You to Use Your Volume Buttons As Brightness Buttons

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Brightness is something that most of us can agree is an important feature of any iOS device. Most of us like to have easy access to it; unfortunately, Apple makes
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

Default 'BrightVol' Allows You to Use Your Volume Buttons As Brightness Buttons

Brightness is something that most of us can agree is an important feature of any iOS device. Most of us like to have easy access to it; unfortunately, Apple makes us go digging into our settings to change it each time we need to adjust how bright our display is. A new free jailbreak tweak dubbed BrightVol by HASHBANG Productions makes it easy to adjust your brightness from anywhere.

Instead of adding any unnecessary interfaces to iOS, BrightVol uses a feature of your iOS device that is already available for you – the volume buttons. The tweak uses Activator to allow you to switch between changing your volume and changing your brightness by using your volume buttons:

The default Activator action is to press both your volume up and volume down buttons, although you can select any Activator action you want to use. After invoking the Activator action, your volume buttons will then transform into brightness up and brightness down buttons. When your buttons are in brightness mode, your heads-up display will show a brightness icon instead of a volume icon.

You can change the volume buttons back to volume up and volume down buttons again by simply invoking the Activator action once more. As a safety feature, the tweak will automatically revert the buttons back to volume up and volume down buttons 30 seconds after you invoke the Activator action to help in preventing you from forgetting that you changed the buttons to brightness control buttons.

This safety feature could be very useful if you listen to music with your device, as if you forget that the volume is high and you use headphones, you will be able to adjust the volume immediately without fiddling with Activator to return the buttons to the volume function – this should help save your ears!

We like how BrightVol takes a minimalist approach by using buttons that are already available on your iOS device instead of making another non-native interface such as SBSettings. This coupled with the useful functionality that it adds makes the tweak nice to have. We’re giving the tweak 4 out of 5 Apples.

Name: BrightVol
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-1
    Requirements: Activator
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: HASHBANG Productions
    Editor's Rating:  4/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-09-2012 at 11:24 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is a nice one if you don't use your volume much.
    For a while I've been partial to brightness switcher.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Doesn't something like this exist already?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 936 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lilrican21 View Post
    Doesn't something like this exist already?
    +1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have seldom adjusted the brightness of my screen. A little less than 100% along with sbs toggle works for me. But I guess people who adjust brightness frequently will get this free tweak. Anyway kudos to the dev

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

"Most of us like to have easy access to {brightness controls}"

No. Most of us don't, we're quite content to let iOS handle that for us, just like we don't need access to our heart rate control either, letting our body and lower brain function handle that important task.

Really, if some one needs this much control, they never should have got an iDevice. Get an Android gizmo and have at it.
    Last edited by buggsy2; 12-09-2012 at 09:48 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Great tweak i play with brightness alot but i have the one thats on my springboard but ill check this out good job dev

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    "Most of us like to have easy access to {brightness controls}"

No. Most of us don't, we're quite content to let iOS handle that for us, just like we don't need access to our heart rate control either, letting our body and lower brain function handle that important task.

Really, if some one needs this much control, they never should have got an iDevice. Get an Android gizmo and have at it.
    THIS MUCH CONTROL???!! Are you kidding me right now??! If you consider quick access to brightness controls (yes, he said brightness controls....)....."TO MUCH CONTROL"....(hahahahaha) it is YOU who should not be at modmyi, and you REALLY are not a person who should be telling others what phone they should have bought.... You do know what "mod" means right....? Based on your comment, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't.

Wow, amazing...look at what Apple has managed to do to the average consumer....has them thinking being able to adjust the brightness of your device on your own (scary) is a big big big deal... and of course...to MUCH CONTROL! Lol! Man, the next generation just might think that being able to control the volume is to MUCH CONTROL!
    El Zurdo

Thanks

I guess this is cool but who really doesn't have sbsettings? u have to use activator for that anyway. kind of the same to me.

Thanks

I think il be just fine with sbsettings

Green Apple
    Thanks

I thought sbsettings wasnt updated for ios6 yet?