+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Facebook in Talks for Acquiring WhatsApp Messenger

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Facebook in Talks for Acquiring WhatsApp Messenger

Some of you may have used, or have heard of WhatsApp Messenger. It’s a pretty popular, highly rated, paid messenger application in the App Store that allows users from multiple platforms to message each other without the SMS expenses. Although the application does cost 99˘, the service is free after you pay for the application.

Facebook is now in talks of buying WhatsApp Messenger to expand its mobile user base. Facebook clearly has an interest in building a strong mobile foundation, as Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg makes note of the current state of the mobile world:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Zuckerberg
    The big thing is obviously going to be mobile. There are 5 billion people in the world who have phones.
    Facebook certainly acknowledges that WhatsApp Messenger has a ton of users from many different platforms, and hopes to exploit this to increase their amount of mobile users. Facebook also has a messenger service of its own that can be used across multiple platforms, so it is likely that the two services would get integrated in some way if the deal went through. Some might be discouraged to use the WhatsApp Messenger service if Facebook buys them out, as many people try to avoid Facebook for privacy concerns. That being said, it's hard to discern exactly how this is going to play out.

This wouldn’t be the first time Facebook has bought out another company to improve on its own – Facebook also bought out Instagram back in April for $1 Billion.

Sources: TechCrunch

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

PLEASE DONT.. FACEBOOK and FB Messenger is a MESSSSS.. they dont work and crash a lot of time.. PLESE WHATSAPP..DONT DO THIS....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to eyepoper For This Useful Post:

CraZyJaVieR (12-03-2012)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Why is this site still called "mod"myi?

Green Apple
    Thanks

yes please. i use whatsapp way more than facebook chat.

Thanks

Well ****. My wife uses this constantly to IM her family in Mexico City for free. FB will certainly try to monetize this and screw it up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

whatsapp kills battery

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyepoper View Post
    PLEASE DONT.. FACEBOOK and FB Messenger is a MESSSSS.. they dont work and crash a lot of time.. PLESE WHATSAPP..DONT DO THIS....
    Wouldn't that be a reason TO do it? Facebook could replace it's own broken messaging service with Whatsapp, and have a development team that works on it. Sounds like a good thing to me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What amazes me is that people buy this when they can get these features plust a ton more with viber or tango for free. It just makes no sense.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CraZyJaVieR's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor2213 View Post
    Wouldn't that be a reason TO do it? Facebook could replace it's own broken messaging service with Whatsapp, and have a development team that works on it. Sounds like a good thing to me.
    if you go to the AppStore and check the comments on the Facebook messages app and the Facebook app it self the comments are really bad and in my opinion and expirece with the app it's crappy and the quality sucks !! I can't even get to open my Facebook app I use safari now but I'm really happy with whatsapp it's the opposite of Facebook app

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

Facebook just needs to get real developers who know how to code and leave perfectly good apps alone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CraZyJaVieR View Post
    if you go to the AppStore and check the comments on the Facebook messages app and the Facebook app it self the comments are really bad and in my opinion and expirece with the app it's crappy and the quality sucks !! I can't even get to open my Facebook app I use safari now but I'm really happy with whatsapp it's the opposite of Facebook app
    You guys still don't understand...

Why wouldn't Facebook by something that works? They buy it to replace there crappy app..

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    You guys still don't understand...

Why wouldn't Facebook **buy** something that works? They buy it to replace **their** crappy app..
    sorry i had to correct your grammar mistakes it was driving me nuts

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyepoper View Post
    they crash all the time on iOS, they're flawless on Android.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    they crash all the time on iOS, they're flawless on Android.
    I know several android users who would disagree with your flawless on android comment. Facebook has learned you buy something that works and steal the features. It's a great business model and they should do it I don't use whatsapp but I think I will give it a shot

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have been using Whatsapp for years and never really had any problem. This is the best multi platform messenger IMHO. I only wish with the acquisition (if any) the service still is as sturdy as it is now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    I know several android users who would disagree with your flawless on android comment. Facebook has learned you buy something that works and steal the features. It's a great business model and they should do it I don't use whatsapp but I think I will give it a shot
    Isn't that what all tech giants do nowadays?

My wife and I used WhatsApp before iMessage came out, and I always hated it because it was so dang slow. Plus I didn't like having to use a separate app from what I used to send texts to other people. That's the main reason why iMessage is so much better to me, all integrated, and runs much faster than 3rd party messaging apps.

Thanks

Facebook messenger is so good

Thanks

Facebook DON'T Touch WhatsApp

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

WhatsApp has worked quite well for me and i just hope that it will continue doing so after the acquisition !

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's good if facebook purchase whats app. With that we can connect to our facebook friends on what app also...