+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Apple Patent Shows "Realistic" Wireless Charging Solution

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A new Apple patent recently published by the United States Patent and Trademark office outlines a new “realistic” wireless charging solution. The patent, entitled “Wireless Power Utilization in a Local
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Apple Patent Shows "Realistic" Wireless Charging Solution

A new Apple patent recently published by the United States Patent and Trademark office outlines a new “realistic” wireless charging solution.

The patent, entitled “Wireless Power Utilization in a Local Computing Environment”, describes a wireless charging system that relies on “near-field magnetic resonance” to provide power to nearby devices.

Wireless charging solutions traditionally need a a power source and a receiver located very close to one another in order to work. Think outlet, charging pad, then device. In the patent Apple mentions this limits the application of the charging solution to smaller less power-hungry devices. Apple’s solution would support devices requiring a few watts to a few hundred watts that are located within the near-field “virtual charging area.”

The patent claims the charging technology would eliminate “unwieldy” existing chargers that need to be plugged into the wall, and reduce clutter. The devices in the charging area would even cooperate to increase efficiency and reduce power consumption. The power supply transmitter could be portable (think dongle) or could be embedded in an existing device like a desktop or laptop.

Devices around the charging hub would ne to be tuned into the proper frequency in order for them to receive power from the near-field magnetic resonance power supply. Perhaps the coolest feature is Apple’s idea of a “re-resonator” that would allow multiple devices to share electricity wirelessly if one of the devices is too far from the base or is blocked by an obstacle.

Apple describes a scenario where a Mac desktop might not be able to provide power to a wireless mouse because of some interfering obstacle.

"In this case, (the) keyboard can act as a re-resonator such that a portion of the power delivered to (the) keyboard from the NFMR power supply can be passed on by way of a re-resonator transmission unit." — Patent Filing
    Apple filed for the patent in November of 2010, so hopefully this technology starts showing up in Apple products sooner than later.

Source: AppleInsider

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This would revolutionize every electrical device. it would completely get rid of the power cords and wall outlets which haven't change at all since they came out. We should see this in the next 5 years, although im wondering if having electricity being thrown around me is save.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This would be awesome, I can't wait till they add this to an iPhone generation. Kinda wondering if there will be any ill effect from sitting in the power zone?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I once proposed a wired charging standard that incorporated the "re-resonator" concept of charging a device through another device AND sharing both device's power sources so that one would not run dead before the other and limit you to the lesser of two device's run times. Think, MP3 player with wireless audio transmitter or laptop with external battery-powered optical drive (I was using a Sony Digital Relay MDPAP20U back then).

I also remember BEGGING for inductive chargers when the Wii launched (there were none) and now they are everywhere (still not done RIGHT).

I should stop talking and start doing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jarolin Vargas View Post
    This would revolutionize every electrical device. it would completely get rid of the power cords and wall outlets which haven't change at all since they came out.
    I agree about revolutionizing electrical devices. Next step might be to have I/O use this same technology and get rid of all short range cables.

We should see this in the next 5 years, although im wondering if having electricity being thrown around me is save.
    Electricity is always being thrown around you. Think of all of the WiFi, bluetooth, radio stations, etc. Every electrical device emits some kind of radiation (mostly low-level per FCC regulation).

Thanks

This would revolutionize every electrical device. it would completely get rid of the power cords and wall outlets which haven't change at all since they came out. We should see this in the next 5 years, although im wondering if having electricity being thrown around me is save.
    I agree. I don't think it is safe. I think if anything, its gonna cause cancer from all of the radiation...

Green Apple
    Thanks

So if they filed for this is 2010 - How is reporting it two years later with the headline "NEW Apple Patent Shows "Realistic" Wireless Charging Solution" relevant, or even slightly truthful?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arem View Post
    So if they filed for this is 2010 - How is reporting it two years later with the headline "NEW Apple Patent Shows "Realistic" Wireless Charging Solution" relevant, or even slightly truthful?
    because filing a patent does not mean it is granted to them. they were just granted this patent.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Does this mean they have working components to accomplish this sort of charging or is it just an idea they would like to make happen?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,991 Times in 4,511 Posts

Remains to be seen if the amount of current flying around room would be more intense than Wifi or radio signals. Somehow I have to believe that current sufficient enough to charge a phone battery HAS to be more powerful than mere radio signals. If so - then the potential for radiation damage will kill the idea before it ever gets off the ground in this "green- conscious" world we're living in now.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

not hating on apple for patenting but this technology will only be seen on their products..

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm liking the re-resonator idea!
    I do a similar thing but with the iPhone cable to my MBA, when the phones low in charge but my MacBooks got plenty, I plug it in for a top up, the MacBook doesn't even need to be on charge itself, just sharing its battery power to the iPhone aswell, very handy when out and about... Provided you have the cable!
    This would be very handy for me, but how would you stop unwanted people from using your charging zone and running up your electricity consumption? Neighbours etc...?

What's Jailbreak? DemonoidMaster's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol, so now they have a patent for "wirelessly charging a device"? Wow, this already exists ... Lets hope they dont go sue happy with the other companies when they werent the first to invent this ****....