Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reportedly Fires the Man in Charge of iOS 6 Maps

Default Apple Reportedly Fires the Man in Charge of iOS 6 Maps

iOS 6 Maps introduced a new navigation experience to iOS with turn-by-turn navigation, 3-D flyover view, and new quick-loading vector images. These TomTom based maps were expected to be a big hit, but they quickly rebounded, as users started reporting that the maps were “terrible” and “inaccurate.” Users now eagerly await Google to launch an App Store version of their Google Maps service, which is currently in its beta stages.

Those of you expecting reform for Apple’s Maps application may be in luck. Apple has reportedly fired Richard Williamson, the man who has overseen the development and implementation of Apple’s iOS 6 maps application. That’s not to say that Apple will be reverting to Google Maps once more, however it does mean that we could see some major improvements in the application should a new person be put in charge.

Apple’s very own Eddy Cue is expected to place a new individual in Williamson’s shoes, however he has not done so just yet, as Bloomberg reports. That being said, the position is currently empty and the iOS 6 Maps application has no leader as of now. It is hoped that Cue puts the right guy in charge so that the Maps application can finally get on the right foot.

Any change to the Maps application is expected to be over the course of a long period of time and users will still have to rely on third party Mapping applications if they find Apple’s Maps application to be glitchy. Apple has included a Maps section in the App Store that showcases some of the App Store’s best navigation applications, such as TomTom, Waze, and MapQuest.

Hopefully the Maps will have been improved by the time they come to the Mac as they are expected to in OS X 10.9.

Sources: Bloomberg

I never thought it was bad, I did like a lot of the newer features to Maps... but still, at 3am it took me on an off road adventure on a dark mountain road in Virginia... Thanks Maps for the wrong directions.. that was one FUN detour down that windy dirt road to what I though was heading to my hotel. My 4 Runner & I would like to thank Apple for that AWESOME wrong turn... and the 5min drive back... THE BEST 10 minutes ever waisted!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,173 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CinePhone View Post
    I never thought it was bad, I did like a lot of the newer features to Maps... but still, at 3am it took me on an off road adventure on a dark mountain road in Virginia... Thanks Maps for the wrong directions.. that was one FUN detour down that windy dirt road to what I though was heading to my hotel. My 4 Runner & I would like to thank Apple for that AWESOME wrong turn... and the 5min drive back... THE BEST 10 minutes ever waisted!!!
    Hahahaha! That's hilarious (now) but prolly wasn't at the time!

this is good. fire the people that are stalling IOS innovations.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

I love Maps. I haven't had any problem or have I ever got lost. It always took me to the correct location.

Quote Originally Posted by CinePhone View Post
    Lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

What is Eddie Cue's qualifications in navigation systems?
    If I was him I would not take over this department, god knows how messed up the department is.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

It's strange. Apple has the money to buy pretty much any mapping firm out there. Buy them all, add Apple gloss, success.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragonAn View Post
    I love Maps. I haven't had any problem or have I ever got lost. It always took me to the correct location.
    +1 I really like Maps especially the low data usage.

Google stopped development of theirs a while ago. What choice did Apple have? And as for the wrong direction, that happens with every mapping program I have ever used.

It's great that there are some people who like Apple Maps. I believe they work in some parts of the USA.
    But hows your StreetView?
    For most people outside of the USA they are awful as maps, add the fact that satellite view is very poor and StreetView non existent means that lots of people, myself included, are not going to upgrade (I have upgraded my phone but not my iPad so I have used both) due solely to the appalling Maps.
    YMMV.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Only mistake this guy made was purchasing data from tom tom. I'm sure cook shot him down when he asked if he could work out a deal with google for their data...

Also, if people are so pissed by map inaccuracies - REPORT THEM! I've had no problem with the app so far, but if I did, I'd report it using the nifty little built in 'i' button that lets you report mistakes. Seems like Williams knew there would be problems with tom tom data - but then, tom tom has always had crappy data.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    What is Eddie Cue's qualifications in navigation systems?
    If I was him I would not take over this department, god knows how messed up the department is.
    The post says that Eddie Cue "is expected to place a new person in Williamson's shoes", not personally replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    Only mistake this guy made was purchasing data from tom tom. I'm sure cook shot him down when he asked if he could work out a deal with google for their data...

Also, if people are so pissed by map inaccuracies - REPORT THEM! I've had no problem with the app so far, but if I did, I'd report it using the nifty little built in 'i' button that lets you report mistakes. Seems like Williams knew there would be problems with tom tom data - but then, tom tom has always had crappy data.
    Where do I repo the lack of StreetView? Where to I report the lack of detailed satellite inages? Why should I have to report the fact that it can't find 90% of places I look for?

If this was beta I would be complaining that it is still alpha. It certainly isn't something that should be released to the public.

TomToms data is far, far superior to this piece of ****.
    Last edited by Orby; 11-28-2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Language, please.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    Also, if people are so pissed by map inaccuracies - REPORT THEM! I've had no problem with the app so far, but if I did, I'd report it using the nifty little built in 'i' button that lets you report mistakes
    Thanks, never noticed the Report Problem link located next to Data by TomTom, which you have to click the 'Overview' button in order to lift up the bottom right corner to reveal options... its so small and unobtrusive, nearly hidden. BTW, no 'i' button
    Last edited by CinePhone; 11-27-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarolin Vargas View Post
    this is good. fire the people that are stalling IOS innovations.
    This guy might not have been the problem, but he certainly is the scapegoat.

Thats all news

Apart from the fact that the maps don't work their great. They need another data provider and then the maps will work flawlessly imo.
    Satellite view needs to be sorted out also more shops and local businesses. One thing that should be easy but isn't though, locating football stadiums. For example maps refuses to acknowledge "Old Trafford" but works if you search "Old Trafford Manchester".

Go through the whole of the premiership (english premier league) and try and find every clubs ground. I guarantee you'll have trouble locating some of the smaller clubs.

Would it be too much to ask for more 3D locations either?

Here is Seattle, WA USA haven't had any problems maps has done the job pretty good. But I wouldn't mind street view lol
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

iPhone? More like MyPhone iFrosty's Avatar
    Thanks

You think he was able to find the exit?

Here is the funny thing i have navigon for usa and canada and apple maps on iphone 5. I have personally checked that if i put in the address of my workplace in navigon it shows the wrong location 3 of my family members got lost coming to my job but apple maps always gets it right for me here in GA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast