+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GM Announces Eyes Free Siri Support For Two Upcoming Vehicles

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default GM Announces Eyes Free Siri Support For Two Upcoming Vehicles

General Motors announced today they would be the first car manufacturer to take advantage of Apple’s “Eyes Free” feature announced at WWDC earlier this year.

Eyes Free allows automakers to include a button on their vehicles that initiates Siri so drivers can use Siri hands-free to make calls, send messages, launch apps, and utilize Siri in almost any way possible. The first GM vehicles to utilize the feature will be the upcoming Chevrolet Spark (1LT, 2LT) and Sonic (LTZ, RS).

While GM announced Eyes Free support the company plans to continue using their Chevrolet MyLink infotainment (I hate that word) system as well. Users with an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 will be able to connect via Bluetooth to GM’s MyLink Radio and use the Eyes Free feature via an access button on the steering wheel.

Apple and other companies alike have been mum on the feature until Chevy’s announcement, so much so most people likely forgot it was even in iOS 6. Hopefully the other nine confirmed partners including BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler, and Honda begin rolling out their Eyes Free integration soon as well.

Source: 9to5Mac

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

I would much rather have Siri in my vehicle than Sync. My wife and I both have Sync systems in our vehicles and they are Ok at best. I have yet to try Sync with an Android. Don't see that happening.
    Last edited by mustard05; 11-27-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks

so thats what cooks meeting with Barry was about... Government motors siri integration.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soldoutluck View Post
    so thats what cooks meeting with Barry was about... Government motors siri integration.
    Barry, Lmao!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    I would much rather have Siri in my vehicle than Sync....
    I agree. Sync is great if u pay Sirius XM their ridiculous fees for radio and weather/traffic data (only really worth it during the free trial period). Without that, Siri will do the same things and probably do them better, plus car companies won't have to continue developing systems like sync because its already built into the phones most people carry.
    Too bad I have a '12 Chevy now so I'm stuck with using a USB cable for music and the home button for Siri... Which is slow because it still utilizes the cars speakers and mic and takes a few seconds to initiate each time.

Quote Originally Posted by soldoutluck View Post
    Government motors...
    +1 At least they seem to have put the government dollars to good use but that's why my other vehicle is a Ford

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I need to get a Siri button in my Mustang, it would perfectly where the damned "resume" button for cruise control is. I've never even used that button and I don't even know what it does.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    I would much rather have Siri in my vehicle than Sync. My wife and I both have Sync systems in our vehicles and they are Ok at best. I have yet to try Sync with an Android. Don't see that happening.
    I taotally agree with you on your first statement that I'd much rather have Siri then Sync on my Lincoln MKS but dont with your second. I am of Indian origin and most contacts on my iPhone 5 are indian names. And if you know a little bit about India, names are long and hard to pronounce (long and hard - that sounds dirty). Anyway, I use Sync all the time to call my contacts and it picks up 90% of the Indian names and 100% of american names. I also use Sync for Music which works as well.

My 2 cents on Sync. But yea, Siri over Sync anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by DistortedHope View Post
    I need to get a Siri button in my Mustang, it would perfectly where the damned "resume" button for cruise control is. I've never even used that button and I don't even know what it does.
    If u r on cruise control going 85mph and have to brake/slow down for some reason (cop in vicinity), "Resume" button will take you back to 85mph without you pressing gas.
    Last edited by vinaygoel2000; 11-27-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I really wish Infiniti would step up their game... its embarrassing

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Volkswagen FTW