+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'jLauncher' Attempts to Make Multitasking As Easy As Possible [Updated]

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'jLauncher' Attempts to Make Multitasking As Easy As Possible [UPDATED]

For those of you that hate Apple’s implementation of multitasking in iOS, another option has surfaced in the Cydia Store dubbed jLauncher by iOS developer John Corbett that makes everything a whole lot easier to get to.

In Apple’s App Switcher, getting to the volume bar requires two swipes to the left and getting to your music controls requires one swipe to the left. Apart from those two problems, Apple’s App Switcher also lacks a brightness slider and a way to see the date and time. The idea behind jLauncher is to make everything accessible to you from one page and improve on Apple's letdowns, by bringing us an interface that can do the things Apple's App Switcher lacks.

Shown above is what the interface looks like. From the left side of the screen, you get the time, date, iPod controls, brightness slider, and volume slider. The iPod controls include a nice, large album artwork illustration, and the name of the song is displayed just under the artwork. Users can tap on the album artwork to launch the Music application.

On the right side of the screen are all of the applications suspended in the background. You can scroll through them vertically and tap on them to launch the application. Everything is displayed on a transparent interface so you can still see what’s going on in the background.

jLauncher is opened using an Activator action and every time you launch and close jLauncher, there is a nice animation that can be seen. We’ve created the animated gif below to demonstrate the animation to you:

jLauncher doesn’t have any options to configure apart form choosing an Activator action. You can set it to anything you want, although if you set it to double pressing the home button, it will replace the stock App Switcher.

An update is out today with the ability to close out of applications by simply holing on their application icons while you have jLauncher open. A nice animation will appear when you hold on the icons and they are removed from the background. If you were worried about not being able to close out of suspended applications while using jLauncher, there is no longer any reason to be worried! Check it out!

You can grab jLauncher from the BigBoss repository in Cydia for $1.99.

Name: jLauncher
    Price: $1.99
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: John Corbett
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-25-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Ability to close out of applications added

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Looks kind of cool, but a pass.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

I hate multitasking tweaks like this that are clunky as ****, and I always end up using the default switcher. It's just so simple, and fast.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Zephyr does the trick for me - but if this tweak isn't a mem hog, I'll definitely try it. Looks sweet - great design and concept.

Thanks

I'm still happy with Dash. Not free, but works well, is clean, has several "looks," and is better, in my view, than the native Apple switcher.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

It looks really nice and I can't wait to get this for my 4s when it is hopefully updated for 6.x.x!

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

A new update is out for jLauncher that allows you to close out of suspended applications. This is in version 1.1 and makes the tweak a fully-functional application switcher replacement. Full article amendment below:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard
    An update is out today with the ability to close out of applications by simply holing on their application icons while you have jLauncher open. A nice animation will appear when you hold on the icons and they are removed from the background. If you were worried about not being able to close out of suspended applications while using jLauncher, there is no longer any reason to be worried! Check it out!

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    A new update is out for jLauncher that allows you to close out of suspended applications. This is in version 1.1 and makes the tweak a fully-functional application switcher replacement. Full article amendment below:
    Thanks for the update. That was the main reason I held off from trying it out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I like switcher sense. Minimalistic and does what it needs to. Only problem is they never update it and closing an app can be annoying because you have to swipe but I still prefer it to any other Multi task replacement tweak in cydia.

Wish they would just bring back kirikae!