+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iOS Concept Blows the Current iOS Notification System Out of the Water

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Another great iOS concept has been posted on The Verge that rethinks how we receive notifications on our iOS devices. The concept has beauty and convenience in mind. Beauty, because
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 785 Posts

Default New iOS Concept Blows the Current iOS Notification System Out of the Water

Another great iOS concept has been posted on The Verge that rethinks how we receive notifications on our iOS devices. The concept has beauty and convenience in mind. Beauty, because the alerts are no longer like the old-fashioned iOS alert, but rather like the streamlined banner interface introduced in iOS 5. Convenient, because it gives us quick reply functionality for certain notifications.

Imagine receiving a text message from someone, or a Tweet, and just being able to immediately reply to them without the need to launch the Messages application. This concept adds a new compose button to the notification, which can be tapped to open a compose sheet, where you can then type out text to send to the person as an iMessage/SMS, or even Tweet where applicable, without leaving the application you're in.

The concept leaves iOS 5 banners alone for the most part, but it fixes the alert notification in iOS. The banner gets the quick-reply button, however the alerts are re-designed to appear at the top of the display with the banner-like appearance with more message content inside of them. They will come with the ability to close the alert or to reply to the message. The banners will still appear and disappear on their own after a period of time, however the alerts will stay on the screen until you manually dismiss it.

The concept goes a step further, also rethinking the system alerts, which aren’t a part of the iOS Notification Center. This involves alerts such as an application requesting to use your location, requesting Camera Roll access, or even requesting access to your Facebook or Twitter account details. Instead of the current, dated look of iOS alerts in this manner, the concept gives the system alert more of a 'behind the scenes' animation, and uses Apple's linen background for appearance style:

We think the concept would breathe a lot of new life to the iOS operating system, however the additional vertical pixels in the new alert style would fare best on the iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5G’s taller four-inch display. If the iPad were to adopt a feature like this, the larger display would also look good with these intuitive notifications.

The mind behind this new iOS notification concept is UI/UX designer Sentry, the same mind that brought us the awesome multitasking concept that we shared with you back in October. The multitasking concept also took better advantage of the iPhone 5’s additional vertical pixels.

We talked to Sentry to get more information about his concept:

Anthony: What made you think to recreate notifications in this way?
    Sentry: I simply tried to approach it from the perspective of Apple rather than a user who wants to reinvent the wheel for the sake of change. The goal with this concept, along with most of my iOS concepts (the app elongated switcher that you may have seen, for example), was to tackle a certain feature or capability set, in this case quick-reply, in a way that could be applied to the current notifications without changing the core of what they are and how Apple initially implemented them.

Anthony: Do you think the concept is something Apple may want to implement in the future and would you be happy to see them do it?
    Sentry: With the recent shakeups going on at Apple, and specifically the iOS team, who knows! I don’t expect that they will, but of course as an iOS user, designer or not, I would love to see useful functionality like this implemented in the future. That’s not to say it needs to be an exact copy of my concept, but either way iOS is definitely in need of additional functionality and further innovation.

Anthony: Do you think any jailbreak developers are going to hop on this concept?
    Sentry: I had actually already been contacted by a few developers, but literally just now finalized the project with one jailbreak developer in particular. I haven’t announced it yet, so you’re actually the first know.

According to the comments from Sentry, it looks like this concept will be coming to life in the Cydia store some time in the future!

Sources: Sentry via The Verge
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-23-2012 at 11:54 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

kuanyu (11-24-2012)

Thanks

This really looks great.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Looks nice and really functional.
    I'll guess it'll be around $4.99 and I may buy it.
    Here's to hoping I'm comes out soon.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

I love all these concepts and it would be nice for Apple to begin changing iOS a bit more but at the same time, it has an enormous number of users, many of which are very stubborn and dislike change so it's hard to please everyone. Us jailbreakers do have options to customise our devices but many people simply want iOS to continue being the platform that they are used to. Whenever I change my Winterboard theme my girlfriend is baffled by it and it takes her quite a while to get used to it and she's much more savvy than many of Apple's users so for the time being I believe change will come but at a very slow and periodic pace.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alluziion View Post
    I love all these concepts and it would be nice for Apple to begin changing iOS a bit more but at the same time, it has an enormous number of users, many of which are very stubborn and dislike change so it's hard to please everyone. Us jailbreakers do have options to customise our devices but many people simply want iOS to continue being the platform that they are used to. Whenever I change my Winterboard theme my girlfriend is baffled by it and it takes her quite a while to get used to it and she's much more savvy than many of Apple's users so for the time being I believe change will come but at a very slow and periodic pace.
    yea shocked they havent done themes yet and the concepts are always amazing would love to see them

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

very nice indeed

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

This seems so obvious and simple... I love it. Hope to see it in Cydia soon! (This would work very well with BiteSMS or even stand alone messaging alternative.)

Thanks

http://f.cl.ly/items/3y2H0t292F163M3...t%20Mockup.mov

Example of the Camera App is an animated Gif which won't play in ModMyi App so here's some links to the examples.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zrevai For This Useful Post:

joshheartsasd (11-23-2012), Zokunei (11-23-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

It looks like the combining of BiteSMS and Notifications.....Better to have just one I suppose. I would love it if Apple added this concept to iOS...of course in their own sweet way.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    if i were the one handling IOS design and features i would completely go overboard with ideas. but apples software designers freaking monkeys

*T*
    Thanks

I will be downloading, regardless of price.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

How many different Cydia programs have done this now? 4... 5? I've lost track. Seems like a decent implementation though.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 785 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    How many different Cydia programs have done this now? 4... 5? I've lost track. Seems like a decent implementation though.
    There may be a lot, but I'm always interested in seeing who can do a better job.

I've lost count at how many companies produce soda that tastes like Coca Cola .

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I really don't understand why Apple doesn't take some of these amazing, yet lacking, tweaks to the iOS and actually implement them. I don't see in any way how something like this is worse/not at Apple's standards. Tsk Tsk.

I mean, would Quick Reply like BiteSMS really be that bad? C'mon.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

That's really slick. Hope it arrives as a jailbreak tweak and not wait for apple to pick it up. I really like that.

Thanks

Brilliant. I would pay $4.99 any day for this.

Thanks

Apple is really missing a trick here by not allowing tweaks like this to be sold via the App Store!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

This kid needs to get hired by Apple, lol.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    The text in the first picture is amusing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Apple is really missing a trick here by not allowing tweaks like this to be sold via the App Store!
    Tweaks that alter files outside the developers own apps? not going to happen.