+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Not-So-Smart' Hides Those Annoying iOS 6 Smart Banners

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'Not-So-Smart' Hides Those Annoying iOS 6 Smart Banners

With iOS 6, Apple introduced a new feature that shows ‘smart’ banners in Mobile Safari when you visit a mobile Web site that has an application in the App Store. Not only that, but if you do have the application for the service installed, then it just bugs you to open the application instead of using the Mobile Safari version. The idea seemed like a good idea at first, but when it comes right down to it, they become annoying really quick.

More and more sites are adopting the smart banner, such as IMDb, YouTube, and Twitter, yet there hasn't been a way to disable the feature for when you prefer using the Mobile Safari counterpart. Some people actually do prefer the Mobile Safari versions, because they aren't crippled by the rules in the App Store.

Bringing us the ability to finally disable these annoying smart banners if we so choose is a new free jailbreak tweak dubbed Not-So-Smart by iOS developer Nikos Lykousas. Once installed, the tweak will completely hide all smart banners in Mobile Safari for an annoyance-free mobile browsing experience:

Developer Nikos Lykousas says it best, "You can't call something like this "smart" in any way..."

Not-So-Smart is effective immediately after installation and doesn’t have any options to configure, so you’ll have to uninstall the tweak if you ever have a change of heart for Apple’s smart banners. The tweak requires iOS 6 to install, since any firmware before iOS 6 does not have the smart banner capability. Currently an iOS 6 jailbreak only exists for limera1n devices.

Name: Not-So-Smart
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.0
    Requirements: iOS 6
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Nikos Lykousas
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Is their a tweak that automatically uses the app if you have the app installed?

rcm
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

jajaja i love the ios 6 warning on an ios 6 tweak

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    What it does is it removes the banners from MobileSafari so you can continue using the Web app in peace.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    What it does is it removes the banners from MobileSafari so you can continue using the Web app in peace.
    I think the guy knows what this tweak does. He was just asking a question, which I'd like to know as well, which apparently you didn't understand.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 737 Posts

...wow...slow day on MMI....meh

Green Apple
    Thanks

How about a way to stop the annoying popup in iOS 5 when I visit the modmyi.com forum in mobile safari?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    I think the guy knows what this tweak does. He was just asking a question, which I'd like to know as well, which apparently you didn't understand.
    Nope I guess I read it wrong. That's what happens when you're in a conversation with someone and commenting at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnytucats View Post
    How about a way to stop the annoying popup in iOS 5 when I visit the modmyi.com forum in mobile safari?
    Are you in private browsing mode?
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-18-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

…or the Tweetbot browser. I've been bugging mmi about this for well over a year.

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    LinkOpener. It currently only supports a small amount of apps though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Those smart banners were annoying. Clicked on X then the banners would come back after entering the website like YouTube again. They're gone now. Thanks tweak

Thanks

There are many ways in which to remove adverts when using a jailbroken device however I shan't go into them now as many websites like mmi rely on them as a source of revenue. Just do your research and you'll see how

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Why doesn't this tweak get rid of the banners in Atomic Web Browser?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'd also like to know if the app install when one visit's Modmyi can be stopped it's been annoying since ios4-5-6.I've tried the app and don't care for the ad's in it or the cost to get rid of the ad's,I have tried in private on and off ad blocker's but still pop's up when I come to read the new's...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    There are many ways in which to remove adverts when using a jailbroken device however I shan't go into them now as many websites like mmi rely on them as a source of revenue. Just do your research and you'll see how
    I don't think he wants to remove the ads. we want to remove the popup when you open the website from mobile safari and it prompts if you want to use the app instead for iOS 5