Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gaming Achievement Service OpenFeint Getting Plug Pulled

Thanks

Default Gaming Achievement Service OpenFeint Getting Plug Pulled

The mobile achievements provider, OpenFeint, recently announced that it will be shutting down its service on December 14th. The cross-platform service was available in a number of iOS and Android games, including Fruit Ninja, Tiny Wings, Robot Unicorn Attack, and many more. The service is now being discontinued in favor of GREE, the service of OpenFeint’s new parent company.

While it’s likely that developers of the service’s most popular games will make the transition quite easily, other games that utilize OpenFeint may not necessarily have the resources to update the game to the new service. OpenFeint even went as far as stating that certain games will end up featuring a “poor player experience” after December 14th if the games aren’t updated.

The folks over at TouchArcade pointed out that developers who had previously been relying on OpenFeint will need to retrofit all of their apps that utilize the SDK and change all of the code that referenced the social gaming service. The information needs to be replaced by either Apple's Game Center, or even GREE's new similar service, which was recently announced. The news still comes as a big surprise due to hwo quickly the end for the OpenFeint service has appeared and furthermore, how little notice OpenFeint developers were given.

On the consumer end, not much has really changed. Users that currently use OpenFeint to store their user information, including achievement points and friends, will have their info transferred over to GREE if they choose to create an account with the new service. As mentioned before, certain games might not be as fun to play, especially if the developers don't go back and make the necessary changes to make features useable but that's about it.

Source: TouchArcade
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 11-16-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Personally I have never signed into open feint once...

Thanks

All the good things are going because of apples stupid new things/apps/software.

Quote Originally Posted by iH85CH001 View Post
    All the good things are going because of apples stupid new things/apps/software.
    Simply a case of a company getting bought out and similar products, to that of the new owner, getting dumped or merged. This has nothing to do with Apple.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Really?! Openfeint is shít

Thanks

Nooooooooooo

I don't mind. I never did sign use Openfeint because I always preferred Game Center.

I think I tried it once when I played Fruit Ninja and didn't like it much.

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Really?! Openfeint is shít
    Lmao! AGREED! Never used it!

Thanks

Never used it or game center either... I always completely remove all traces of game center from the file system... Guess this doesn't really apply to me...

Default Not surprised
    Well, only surprised that it took this long.
    I met with the CEO a bunch of years back. Kinda a d$#k.
    As a developer looking to implement his software, he basically told me to take it or leave it. So I left it.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Ummm yeah this has nothing to do with Apple....another company just bought this one, that's all. Way to jump on a chance to blame Apple though.....................

I never used this either.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought that was nakedfarie and he/she changed their profile pic. Lol.

You spelt "how" as "hwo".

About time. That crap was so horribly easy for people to hack, it's not even funny. I mean, when you have scores based off how many shots it takes to win and you have people doing it with 0, that's an issue.