+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ballmer: Apple is "Too Controlled" and "Too Expensive"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Ballmer: Apple is "Too Controlled" and "Too Expensive"

This past week, CEO Steve Ballmer was interviewed by LinkedIn co-founder Reid Hoffman while at the Churchill Club in Santa Clara. One of the more interesting subjects that the two discussed between was Microsoft’s Windows Phone platform and how it compared to its two main rivals, Apple’s iOS platform and Google’s Android platform. As expected, Ballmer didn’t have good things to say about his competitors. He went as far as calling Android “wild” and “uncontrolled,” then saying the iPhone is “too expensive” and “too controlled.” He stated that he felt that Windows Phone was in the sweet spot between the two.

Going into further detail, Ballmer highlighted that Google’s Android ecosystem is “wild” from an app compatibility perspective, and that the company’s open, “uncontrolled” approach meant that many devices were susceptible to malware. When talking about the iOS platform, he said “the Apple ecosystem looks highly controlled and, by the way, quite high priced.” He provided an example of the iPhone going on sale in Russia last week, at a cost upwards of $1,000, which he believes will cause Apple to struggle to sell its smartphone in the country at that price.

Ballmer continued by saying “So the question is, how do you get the quality, but maybe not at the premium price, with a controlled, but maybe not quite as controlled ecosystem?” By saying this he of course was alluding to the Windows Phone platform, which he claimed offers “the best of both worlds.” He mentioned that the platform gives users the safe, controlled ecosystem you get with Apple devices, but with the price and diversity you get with Android devices. He even went as far as pointing out that Microsoft works closely with software developers, while stating that Apple and Google do not. He gave examples at Apple’s “Maps debacle,” after proclaiming that Windows “just works.”

How do you feel about Ballmer’s statements?

Source: TechCrunch

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Is this guy kidding? Windows anything sucks ... If you sell on price you'll never win

iPhone? More like MyPhone CD5000's Avatar
    Thanks

He can say whatever makes him feel better but Apple and Droid sales speak for themselves. Even if he were right, those platforms seem to be just fine for the people using (and loving) them.

Thanks

Here's the difference between Micro$oft and Apple though. Whenever I see an Apple anything it nearly always 9/10 leaves a long string of saliva dangling from the end of my mouth. I mean sure the Surface looks neat but doesn't make me lost for words in the sense a retina macbook would or even the ipad mini for that matter...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I also like his comment in a previous interview that Apple "only" had 13% marketshare, and at the time Windows Phone had 2%.

Haters gonna hate.

Thanks

No matter how expensive things are middle class people will always find a way to buy them, that's for generally anything. But as for apple as long as they make quality devices they shouldn't have a problem.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

Microsoft's Core Market...

Microsoft Windows 8: £45
    OS X Mountain Lion: £15

Also, the Windows 8 phones are not going to be that much cheaper than the iPhone. Steve talks through his ***, he just needs to accept the fact that Microsoft were late entering the market and have to pick up the crumbs.

*T*
    Thanks

Did he really just say Windows "just works?"

That line was on Apple's homepage after one of the Apple events, when Steve was still alive. Was it the iPad 2 event?

Thanks

My retort to Mr Ballmer would be Microsoft Windows is too unstable and their OS is what 15 times more expensive than OS X?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree about how iOS is wayy too controlled.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Windows phones are just like apple you cant edit **** with a jailbreak. Phones need to be customisable where we can do what we like to them. They talk about melware and viruses why dont they just control the app stores lol all they needd to do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redstar299 View Post
    Is this guy kidding? Windows anything sucks ... If you sell on price you'll never win
    I can turn that around and say Anything Apple sucks. See how pointless that statement is?

rcm
    Thanks

I've had all three phones, and the one i liked the least was Windows, you can't really customize anything because of the stupid scrolling board, the apps suck, and the phone itself is cheap and crappy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mattme11 View Post
    Windows phones are just like apple you cant edit **** with a jailbreak. Phones need to be customisable where we can do what we like to them. They talk about melware and viruses why dont they just control the app stores lol all they needd to do.
    True like customiZing the auto correct or spell check settings.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alluziion View Post

Also, the Windows 8 phones are not going to be that much cheaper than the iPhone. Steve talks through his ***, he just needs to accept the fact that Microsoft were late entering the market and have to pick up the crumbs.
    The Nokia Lumia 920 is selling for $99. Walmart had it for $50. That's quite a bit cheaper than $199. Regardless of price though, Apple has plenty of fanboys that will take more than a low price to get them away from Apple. Microsoft's biggest dilemma is apps, not price.

And as far as the Windows 8 vs. Mountain Lion... I'm very disappointed with the Mountain Lion update on my Macbook Pro and would gladly say it's not worth the upgrade. Windows 8 however is a complete system upgrade. Not saying it's worth it either but at least you can visually see some big changes.

Don't hate on other products just because they're not the products you adore.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alluziion View Post

That's not a very good argument. Just to be able to buy Mountain Lion, you have to have either dropped £1000+ on your Mac in the last few years or purchased it second hand. Not to mention, it's an upgrade price. The £45 price tag, while still an upgrade, will run on a budget £200 computer AND Microsoft is happy to extend those upgrades to owners of pirated copies of 7, Vista or XP (they came out and said this). Let's not forget also that the OS is almost completely rebuilt, whereas OSX upgrades you are paying for a handful of added features. Windows gives you far more bang for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
    I've had all three phones, and the one i liked the least was Windows, you can't really customize anything because of the stupid scrolling board, the apps suck, and the phone itself is cheap and crappy.
    It really is much better in WP8. They got rid of the side black arrow bar (never saw a point to that) and allow you to tweak live tile sizes. If you want a grid exactly like you have in IOS, you got it. In fact, you can fit more tiles per "page" than you can in iOS. The largest (and some medium) tiles also show live information. This is up to the developer to do, but I have seen some that are just as good as widgets. The weather chanel is a good example; it constantly shows your current weather forcast with a representative picture along with highs and lows.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-16-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Ok, so that's from the same guy that laughed off saying that nobody would be crazy enough to buy a phone from Apple with the original iPhone tag price? hummm...

Thanks

This guy is such a salesman, a poor one but a salesman. He counter-"dicks" himself over and over again. I've used all 3 softwares, my first choice is Apple, and yes I would use Android next, after that if it came to Windows or nothing......I'd take up the lost art of Letter Writing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

Well does Ballmer realize that the UI of the Windows Phone looks like it was designed by a 5 year old. I played around with a Windows Phone 7 but I have yet to play with the 8. All I can say about WP8 is with animated tiles and all of them being a different size will seem chaotic. I may try and play with a WP8 next week if I can

Thanks

Pot, meet kettle.