Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Reportedly Distributed A Test Version of iOS Google Maps App

Default Google Reportedly Distributed A Test Version of iOS Google Maps App

Many continue to look forward to the release of Google’s stand-alone Google Maps application for iOS, since Apple’s iOS 6 Maps have been causing issues for a number of users. So far, Nokia has announced that their 'Here' maps will be coming to iOS in a few weeks, but Google has yet to give anyone an estimated time of arrival for their Google Maps application.

A report from the Wall Street Journal may finally shed some light on the progress of such an application. According to the report, Google has distributed test versions of the Google Maps application to select iOS users to preview:

Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street Journal
    Google has distributed a test version of its new mapping app that will work on Apple's iPhones to some individuals outside the company, said a person with direct knowledge of the matter. Google has been putting the finishing touches on the app before submitting it for approval to the Apple iTunes store, this person said, though it's unclear exactly when that will happen.
    The report also informs us that the application will have support for turn-by-turn navigation, which Apple just brought to their own Maps application in iOS 6. It may be using a voice similar to the voice used in Google Now from Google's new Google Search application.

The fact that the application has now escalated to the stages of beta distribution means that progress is happening. Just last month, screenshots were leaked showing what was supposedly the Google Maps application in its alpha stages.

The hard part, of course, may be getting Apple to approve the application in the App Store when it’s submitted. Tons of users have been pushing for the application since iOS 6 was released and a great number would be highly disappointed to see an application like this turned down from the App Store.

If you’re looking forward to the Google Maps application joining the arsenal of Google’s App Store apps, hopefully you shouldn’t have to wait too much longer.

Sources: Wall Street Journal

I will download it when it comes out. But I really actually like apples maps so it will be a toss up of which one I actually use more unless google gives us street view or something new and amazing

Banned
    Thanks

I hate the Apple Maps as it looks really crappy compared to Google Maps.
    Checkout the 2 in Satellite view and you will see what I'm talking about.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NakedFaerie For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (11-15-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Here we go again

i m in boston and the apple maps suck here..i pass by the street, when i m look at apple maps and the street hasn't even passed in the map. there is some lag time and maps app suck around this area. so might as well use 'waze'--way better.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why do this now? Why not just license it to Apple when they requested it? I mean, I get it from a competition standpoint, but it just seems a bit slimy.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 751 Posts

You hate everything Apple!!! My god??? WTF are you on here for? Hard to believe you actually own Apple stuff as much as you B!t&@ and complain on here.

Banned
    Thanks

WTF are you going on about?
    How about you TROLLS leave.
    This is still a free speech forum and I can say whatever I like.

Even in the article it says Apple maps is hated so its not just me.

There are too many MORONS on this forum and they like to attack people who have a mind of their own NOT clones like themselves.

Thanks

Why wouldn't it be approved...

How about you TROLLS leave.
    This is still a free speech forum and I can say whatever I like.

There are too many MORONS on this forum and they like to attack people who have a mind of their own NOT clones like themselves.
    You're the idiot that's been going on about how Apple is stupid. Every single post, YOU troll US about how your life is so terrible because you bought an Apple product. Go complain elsewhere.

Apple hasn't failed me yet. I live in Montana and with my job I travel a lot. Not once have I got lost.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

There are too many MORONS on this forum...
    And what are you doing here amongst morons, you moron!!!

Apple Maps may not be perfect (or anywhere close) for many (it is for me), I still like the design interface way better than Google.

Hope Apple would allow Google Maps :/ ....

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trek-life View Post
    Why do this now? Why not just license it to Apple when they requested it? I mean, I get it from a competition standpoint, but it just seems a bit slimy.
    Because it's about who controls, and has access to, the data on you. If you use Google Maps, then they get access to all the data about where you're going, how often you're going there, how you use the maps app, etc., all "anonymously" of course...

But if you use Apple's Maps, then only they get to hang onto that information, which is becoming quite the precious commodity these days, and Google is left out in the dark.

Eh everybody been reading this for months now. Finally registered. I have had no problems with my apple map think it is just as good as google. We all have our own preferences. First cell phone I ever had was ip4 never had one b4 that so I can't compare to others but I am sure missing my JB. Peace

google might charge $10 for it

I didn't say it was hated at all. Only that some were having problems with it.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-16-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Btw have an ip5 as 4 fell on toilet. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by jzhu625 View Post
    google might charge $10 for it
    then i won't download it

i fly over 100k miles/year and rely on gmaps HEAVILY. haven't upgraded from 5 because of it. can't afford to take a chance. i hope gmaps comes out soon and i hope there's no fee.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    Because it's about who controls, and has access to, the data on you. If you use Google Maps, then they get access to all the data about where you're going, how often you're going there, how you use the maps app, etc., all "anonymously" of course...

But if you use Apple's Maps, then only they get to hang onto that information, which is becoming quite the precious commodity these days, and Google is left out in the dark.
    I've never even looked at it from this perspective.

Thank you

21. The Following User Says Thank You to trek-life For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (11-17-2012)

Does anyone know any updates about ios 6 jailbreak for A5+ devices?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast