Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Android, iOS Battling for Mobile Malware's Biggest Target

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Android, iOS Battling for Mobile Malware's Biggest Target

It's a race neither Android or iOS wants to win. But according to a string of new reports, cybercriminals are putting in more than just a tad bit of overtime to find new and innovative ways to attack our PCs, laptops, and - yes - our smartphones.

"During the past few quarters, we've seen that the Android OS is the most popular target for writers of mobile malware," the latest report from McAfee reads. "This quarter was no different; practically all new mobile malware was directed at the Android platform. The mix included SMS-sending malware, mobile botnets, spyware, and destructive Trojans."

In other words, Android is "winning" for now, although experts warn that the iPhone is far from immune. “The iPhone has been out now for five years,” says Mikko Hypponen, chief research officer at digital-security firm F-Secure. “Will there be real malware on iPhones in the future? Probably.”

As a result, companies across the mobile landscape are ramping up efforts to crack down on mobile security threats such a malware, which is inbound for smartphones like never before. Just two weeks ago, in fact, Airpush - the second largest mobile ad network for Android - announced a partnership with Appthority. Airpush is integrating Appthority's mobile security technology directly into the Airpush platform in order to scan all advertiser app promotions and URLs.

Mobile security analysts have praised Airpush's effort, which is virtually erasing the prospect of mobile malware distribution through its network. But, they warn, others in the mobile space need to take a similar approach and fast. iOS and Android dominate the smartphone world. And, unfortunately, that means these two dominant platforms will be the two biggest targets to those who like to wreak havoc on our mobile devices.

Sources: McAfee, F-Secure, Airpush

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Just use common sense, don't install or download anything unusual or something that seems fishy. If you don't know where it came from or who it's from then a good rule is to just delete it or stay away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Just use common sense, don't install or download anything unusual or something that seems fishy. If you don't know where it came from or who it's from then a good rule is to just delete it or stay away from it.
    This is not true in all cases when you discuss cydia. Most repositories can be unknown but provide great tools. My advice is to research any tweaks or apps before installing them.

I don't know that I'd listen to anything McAfee says anymore..

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jokadaking View Post
    This is not true in all cases when you discuss cydia. Most repositories can be unknown but provide great tools. My advice is to research any tweaks or apps before installing them.

Which is called using common sense...

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    I don't know that I'd listen to anything McAfee says anymore..
    Haha did he surrender yet.

If you keep your iphone jailed.. There is no way you would ever contract a virus... However if its jailbroken you should always use tweaks from official repos. Besides every tweak or cydia app can be found in the official repos so i dont see why people add extra repos

Thanks
    Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lordstuny View Post
    If you keep your iphone jailed.. There is no way you would ever contract a virus... However if its jailbroken you should always use tweaks from official repos. Besides every tweak or cydia app can be found in the official repos so i dont see why people add extra repos
    Because the major repos also have their own set of rules and regulations as to what they will host. It's almost the same as Apple controlling what you can and cannot do w/ your iDevice!

My repo, for example, doesn't contain any malware (because I don't have the time for crap like that AND I don't care about ruining people's devices) but its not on Cydia's repo page. My repo focuses on enhancing ur iDevices speed and functionality. BUT, for the cautious user...my repo would be considered unsafe since it modifies the filesystem (which is prohibited on MMI, BigBoss, etc.). BTW, I don't support piracy on my repo; everything is/was free to the public.

Using unofficial repos is how we can take complete control of our devices BUT we also know the risk... i.e. having to restore our device (no big deal!)

FYI, several tweax that are in these unofficial repos have, since, been transformed into legitimate tweax. Difference is, it only took 1-2yrs to catch up...! LOL!
    Last edited by thazsar; 11-15-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Because the major repos also have their own set of rules and regulations as to what they will host. It's almost the same as Apple controlling what you can and cannot do w/ your iDevice!

My repo, for example, doesn't contain any malware (because I don't have the time for crap like that AND I don't care about ruining people's devices) but its not on Cydia's repo page. My repo focuses on enhancing ur iDevices speed and functionality. BUT, for the cautious user...my repo would be considered unsafe since it modifies the filesystem.

Using unofficial repos is how we can take complete control of our devices BUT we also know the risk... i.e. having to restore our device (no big deal!)
    Well i agree with you...by the way whats your repo because i havnt seen a tweak in cydia that enhanced ur cpu speed

Thanks

Well i agree with you...by the way whats your repo because i havnt seen a tweak in cydia that enhanced ur cpu speed
    It's not as noticeable anymore if you have a 4S. The speed tweax free up RAM so the default processes don't tax your system as much.

Check out: sysclean for freeing up RAM
    You'll need MobileTerminal to use this tweak

My personal baby is: Cydia Ads SUCK!!! You'll love it!!!

repo.itortrix.com

***FYI, some of my tweax are outdated so they might not install or run. I haven't updated my repo in a while because of my new job but I know Cydia Ads SUCK!!! still worx!
    Last edited by thazsar; 11-15-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks

Okay
    Lemme know what u think of Cydia Ads SUCK!!! Get the SBSettings version if u want to be able to toggle Ads on and off

Yes it really sucks..... Which sbsettings disables the ads? I use sbsetting from Bigboss repo

Thanks

Yes it really sucks..... Which sbsettings disables the ads? I use sbsetting from Bigboss repo
    If you have the regular SBSettings, then this just adds a Toggle for the tweak

Okay thanks very much.... I have a 4s n a 3gs... The 4s is okay but the 3gs sometimes get awfully slow especially when ram is abt 20 n below

Thanks

Okay thanks very much.... I have a 4s n a 3gs... The 4s is okay but the 3gs sometimes get awfully slow especially when ram is abt 20 n below
    This should help the 3GS!

Ways to free up RAM:
    -sysclean or sysclean Pro (if English isn't ur default language)
    -daemon tool
    -turn off ALL Spotlight Search settings
    -remove Winterboard (big RAM hog)

I never figured out how to stop iOS Folders but I also think this slows down an iDevice

Thanks very much... Now my 3gs should be that slow

Should'nt be thaf slow i mean

That*

Jeez my typing is so messed up today
    Last edited by Lordstuny; 11-16-2012 at 02:38 AM.