+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nokia: 'Here' Maps Service Coming to iOS Soon

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Back in September, we reported that Apple added a ' Find Maps for Your iPhone ' section to the App Store so that users could use something other than Apple’s
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Nokia: 'Here' Maps Service Coming to iOS Soon

Back in September, we reported that Apple added a 'Find Maps for Your iPhone' section to the App Store so that users could use something other than Apple’s own Maps, which have been under fire for their accuracy and capabilities. Many users have moved to other applications such as Waze, MapQuest, MotionX, and even the Web-based Google Maps as alternatives. Soon, users will have another choice to turn to.

Good news surfaces today from Nokia, revealing that the company is bringing their brand new ‘Here’ mapping solution to iOS. Nokia explains that Here will be HTML5-based and it will include all kinds of features that iPhone owners will find helpful, such as:
    • Voice-guided walk navigation
    • Map, Satellite, Transport, and Live Traffic views
    • Public transportation information
    • Offline maps support

The interface from the screenshots above seems just a little iffy, but as long as the maps include features that Apple Maps users are lacking, then it’s clear that the application will be a hit in the App Store. It's also a good thing that it appears to support the iPhone 5's four-inch display right from the get-go. Nokia has submitted the application to the App Store and promises that it will be available to download “within weeks.”

The app looks pretty promising. Are you going to give this new mapping solution a shot?

Sources: TUAW
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-13-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I might try it, but it I still like Apple's mapping system. Hasn't let me down yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by micaiah12 View Post
    I might try it, but it I still like Apple's mapping system. Hasn't let me down yet.
    Same here. Apple Maps has yet to fail me. But it's good to see some more healthy competition.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm always optimistic to try new things. Actually the voice-guided walking navigation thing sounds neat.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The screenshots pretty much look like the web app Nokia's been working on over the last year or so. Works on iOS as well as Android and many HTML5-capable browsers. It even does have voice navigation and (to an extent) offline mapping already.

ADDENDUM: It is a newer 'version' with rebranding and a community feature added on. I'm glad they're improving it.

Nokia does have a nice mapping solution coming from using it with a couple Symbian devices. I'm glad they are expanding beyond Windows Phone and the dying Symbian platform with their navi solutions.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 11-13-2012 at 08:01 PM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've only had some slight issues with places not found due to them being spelt incorrectly on the Apple Maps app. Even still, it's never been much of a problem, they seem to be 95% correct in my area of the UK, however I'll probably still give the Nokia maps a go for the sake of comparison.