+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Find My iPhone App Leads Cops to Crooks and Stolen Goods... Yet Again

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Find My iPhone App Leads Cops to Crooks and Stolen Goods... Yet Again

The Find My iPhone app has helped recover many lost iPhones and helped catch many criminals in the past. The app worked its magic once again recently with Hollywood police along with the owner of a stolen iPhone using the free app to track down the device. In the process of retrieving the device, the police ended up nabbing four robbers in the process.

CBS Los Angeles reported that an LAPD helicopter helped officers locate the thieves in a parked car on Santa Monica Boulevard recently. Inside the vehicle, cops found the phone in question along with a number of other devices and stolen wallets that the crooks had stolen over the past weekend. The fact that the crooks didnít think to turn the iPhone leads many to believe that they werenít exactly the smartest of criminals.

Many iOS owners have used the app to help retrieve their iOS devices, which continue to be in high demand by consumers and therefore amongst thieves as well. If you havenít already downloaded and installed the app, it may be a smart move considering how beneficial it has turned out for many since its release.

Source: CBS via CNET

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

I'm glad that the app has successfully been able to reunite an I-device with its rightful owner as the news post reported, but what, and how about the not so publicized unfortunate owners with just the device being reported?
    Not by any means is this belittled, but it takes this for it to make news...
    Last edited by mustangfrnk; 11-13-2012 at 01:07 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Stupid crooks! This is so funny.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mallenass's Avatar
    Thanks

iCaughtU pro puts any other locating app to shame by so far they spin..

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yeah I always have a hard time believing these types of stories. I find it hard to believe the LAPD would use several officers and a helicopter to track down some guy that can't keep track of his phone i. I know it sounds good and all but hard to believe.

I guess it's different if the stolen phone belongs to a person that works for LAPD. I bet the tax payers would love to hear that man power is being used to track down cell phones of LAPD workers knowing good and damn well that Jon Q Citizen would not get the same treatment.
    Last edited by rkswat; 11-13-2012 at 05:18 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rkswat For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (11-13-2012)

Thanks

i also enjoy the "Play Sound" function. it always helps when i lose my phone around the house.

iPhone? More like MyPhone justinpotter81's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds very fictitious.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

A friend of mine found his stolen iPhone with that app too. The thief turned the phone off when he stole it so my friend wasn't able to locate it at first, but he kept checking and later that evening it turned up and showed the location at someone's house. So my friend called the cops and went with them to the guys house and got his phone back! The thief was someone that worked at the same company as my friend so he also lost his job the next day!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mallenass View Post
    iCaughtU pro puts any other locating app to shame by so far they spin..
    Shamless plug for an app with such a low rating, half of one star? Please...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kawasabi For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (11-13-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah, seems a little far fetched.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kawasabi View Post
    Shamless plug for an app with such a low rating, half of one star? Please...
    I think you are miss understanding. The app that he speaks about is in Cydia, it allows you to do much much more then just find your phone. It keeps the crook from turning it off, takes a pictures with the front camera and sends it to your email, and allows for you to use many other text features so that when you text a certain command to your phone it will ring or take another picture. Ext ext.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah a friend of mine caught his wife cheating by locating her iphone. Went over to the guys house and caught them red-handed! He never suspected a thing! He just decided to see where she was "shopping" Makes me wonder how many others this may have happened to? Does anybody "check" on their significant other by this method?

Thanks

i'd like to call BS on this one. my sisters iphone was stolen at a restaurant in downtown Los Angeles earlier this year, and using the app, she was able to trace it to a house. after calling the police, she was informed that they do not help people track down lost phones as it is too low on their list of priorities. i live in Hollywood, right off Santa Monica blvd. in fact, and i can tell you for damn sure that the cops around here are even busier than the department my sister called (which was in an LA suburb where the house she traced her phone to was located). so, for them to have employed multiple officers and a helicopter to track down one iphone, i have to assume there is a significant piece of the story missing here.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

wow...I don't know who's dumber, the crooks that stole the iphone or all of you that this story all BULL and how the article is not real and that it's made up. Well, maybe if you guys actually clicked on the CBS link and read the full news article then you would find out that story is real and they actually named the robbery suspect in the article.
    here's the link
    GPS Tracking App Used To Hunt Down iPhone Stolen In Wilshire Robbery ę CBS Los Angeles

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this story is real, the actual news article they even named the robbery suspect. all you non believers who were so sure this was fabricated story and said this is BS not a chance that was true should've clicked on CBS link first before writing your comments.

iPhone? More like MyPhone justinpotter81's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh yeah, cause everything from the media is perfect truth.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dranon View Post
    Yeah a friend of mine caught his wife cheating by locating her iphone. Went over to the guys house and caught them red-handed! He never suspected a thing! He just decided to see where she was "shopping" Makes me wonder how many others this may have happened to? Does anybody "check" on their significant other by this method?
    I sure as hell do!!!

Well here in Philadelphia, Pa the cops don't do Jack Crap about it! I'm a security manager at my job and an employee had her brand new iPhone 4s stolen out of her office last year (by another employee mind you). She called the police and after they finally showed up two hours later, they said they can't do anything about it, even after I suggested using the tracking app!! They said they would need a warrant... that's BS!!!!
    Last edited by Breezy215; 11-14-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justinpotter81 View Post
    Oh yeah, cause everything from the media is perfect truth.
    sadly, many think so

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Again, if everyone read the full news article, they would find out that this was not just a person stealing someone elses phone. The robbery suspect held a gun to the woman and took her purse. She then called to cops to report the incident and while cops were doing their interviews, she mentioned to the police her iphone was in her which has a phone tracker app so they got on the laptop and tracked it, went to the location they see man fitting the description of the suspect and while the cops are holding him, they then call the phone and guess what it, the iphone he had in his posession starts ringing...HAHAHA! the rest is history.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy215 View Post
    I sure as hell do!!!

Well here in Philadelphia, Pa the cops don't do Jack Crap about it! I'm a security manager at my job and an employee had her brand new iPhone 4s stolen out of her office last year (by another employee mind you). She called the police and after they finally showed up two hours later, they said they can't do anything about it, even after I suggested using the tracking app!! They said they would need a warrant... that's BS!!!!
    it would be nice if the owner could lock the phone from being turned off with the iOS app, like the cydia app. Most victims are not jailbroken.

Experience... when it works, it works well. It is especially funny to corner someone into a statement and then make the phone chirp in their pocket.

As to the warrant... television shows have made it hard for people to understand, but Police Officers can't bust into a house and dig around for a phone, or put their hands in people's pockets, or do anything Chuck Norris did without meeting requirements set forth in the Fourth Amendment or exclusion set by case law. I dont know your particular incident but I am willing to bet that the Officer did not pass up an easy arrest.

4th Amendment for ya