+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Manually Rotate the Interface Orientation With 'UIRotation for Activator'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple’s automatic orientation feature for iOS devices is nice, but it’s not always ideal. Sometimes we will be lying down in our beds on our side and when we go
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Manually Rotate the Interface Orientation With 'UIRotation for Activator'

Apple’s automatic orientation feature for iOS devices is nice, but it’s not always ideal. Sometimes we will be lying down in our beds on our side and when we go to use our iPhones, it will rotate on us unintentionally, assuming we want landscape mode because the device is sideways as far as gravity is concerned. To help prevent accidental rotations, iOS includes an orientation lock feature that keeps it from rotating whatsoever.

In situations where you want to be selective about the device’s orientation changing, why not rotate the interface manually instead of relying on iOS to do it for you and instead of disabling the feature completely with an orientation lock?

A new plugin for Activator dubbed UIRotation for Activator by iOS developer ichitaso will let you manually manage your device’s orientation by using an Activator action. The tweak will work even when your rotation lock is on, so what this means is Apple’s automatic orientation feature won’t annoy the heck out of you in inconvenient situations.

Since the device’s orientation will be locked when you have the lock on, you can change the orientation and it will stay in that orientation as long as you need it to, no matter what way you tilt your device. You can get it back into another orientation by simply using another Activator gesture. You can also use the tweak while the orientation lock is turned off, but this would seem just a little bit pointless. But hey, more power to you, right?

To use the tweak, head over to the Settings application and look under the Activator preferences pane to find your settings for UIRotation for Activator:

You can set up to four different Activator actions for the tweak, but most people are only going to use two – landscape and portrait, with landscape being the preferred side of the user. You can also select upside down as an orientation.

Once you set your Activator action, just invoke it and the device’s orientation will change. Use another Activator action that you set for a different orientation and the tweak will work its magic there as well. It’s important to note that the tweak will not add orientation rotation to applications that do not already support it. So you are limited to applications that are already capable of entering landscape orientation.

UIRotation for Activator is a good solution for people that don’t like Apple’s automatic orientation, but still want to be able to change the orientation on demand without fuss. It’s free, so check it out and see if it could be of help to you!

Name: UIRotation for Activator
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-2
    Requirements: Activator
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: ichitaso
    Editor's Rating: / 3.5/5

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Don't we just double click home button and apply lock for which way we want to view?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Wargasmtornado's Avatar
    Thanks

Um,isnt that what rotation lock is for?
    ipod 4G,32 GB-iOS 5.1.1-Jailbroken (redsn0w)
    iphone 4,32 GB-iOS 5.1.1-Jailbroken (redsn0w)
    i really,really hate using Winterboard

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Nope
    Quote Originally Posted by blagger69 View Post
    Don't we just double click home button and apply lock for which way we want to view?
    That doesn't work in landscape, only portrait.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You can do this already. Without the need of a jailbreak or tweak. Since IOS 5 if I remember rightly.

Just go to settings> general> accessibility > assistive touch. Turn it on

Turn the devices orientation lock on as always.

Now there will be a white dot on the screen. Tap it press device then rotate screen. That way it will lock to any orientation you want. Plus if the white dot is in your way. Just drag it away. There are other useful stuff to. Especially if you brake the power or home buttons like I did on my iphone 4.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alan2022000 For This Useful Post:

KraXik (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alan2022000 View Post
    You can do this already. Without the need of a jailbreak or tweak. Since IOS 5 if I remember rightly.

Just go to settings> general> accessibility > assistive touch. Turn it on

Turn the devices orientation lock on as always.

Now there will be a white dot on the screen. Tap it press device then rotate screen. That way it will lock to any orientation you want. Plus if the white dot is in your way. Just drag it away. There are other useful stuff to. Especially if you brake the power or home buttons like I did on my iphone 4.
    That's a good tip! Now my GF can have sound on the phone after she broke the sound button.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    There's a way to do this without the tweak and without a jailbreak: Rotate your phone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolstar View Post
    That doesn't work in landscape, only portrait.
    Orientation enabler or something like that enables landscape lock

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'm just waiting for a tweak where you can rotate the screen orientation like the 6 and 7th generation iPod Nano.