+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Glitch With iPhone 5 Touch Screen May Pose As Problem for App Developers and Users

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Everyone with an iPhone 5 probably enjoying their four-inch display right about now. Unfortunately, some developers aren’t having too much fun with it. According to CMA Megacorp , an app
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

Default Glitch With iPhone 5 Touch Screen May Pose As Problem for App Developers

Everyone with an iPhone 5 probably enjoying their four-inch display right about now. Unfortunately, some developers aren’t having too much fun with it. According to CMA Megacorp, an app developer in the UK, the iPhone 5 has a touch screen glitch that affects swiping in a diagonal motion very quickly.

Above is a video from Recombu that demonstrates the iPhone 5 versus the iPhone 4S in terms of this glitch. To try and make the the test as fair as possible, there are two of each iPhone – one running iOS 6.0 and one running iOS 6.0.1.

The iPhone 4S, both on iOS 6.0 and iOS 6.0.1, performs just fine in scrolling up and down in the Mail view. As soon as the spotlight gets put on the iPhone 5, both on iOS 6.0 and iOS 6.0.1, you can see how the display doesn’t even register some of the swipes and just goes about its own business in some cases.

As of this writing, it is not known if the issue is software-based or hardware-based. If it is indeed a software problem, then Apple could easily address it in a future software update. If it were a hardware problem, then Apple would have to, from this point forward, ship fixed units, which would continue to leave current iPhone 5 customers at a loss.

Most applications aren’t going to require any vigorous swiping like this, but some games do. In games like the Infinity Blade series, where you are swiping diagonally to attack monsters, you may be vigorously swiping to try and inflict as much damage as you can in the shortest amount of time possible. This glitch could make it difficult to win these types of games. In other situations, you may just notice the glitch through normal use, but it will occur very rarely and intermittently.

Have you noticed Apple's new four-inch display ignoring your swipes lately?

Sources: Recombu via MacRumors

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Have you noticed Apple's new four-inch display ignoring your swipes lately?
    Never noticed it before but I tried it after watching the video, my iP5 does it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yup happening to mine.

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Problem will be fixed with the iPhone 5S!

Green Apple
    Thanks

just tried on my iphone 5 no problem

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yup, mine too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

I checked my phone at 1:31 since i have the same notification for my Nexus lol

Thanks

I have seen, mostly with spotlight, my taps don't register. I have to sometimes tap "Search Web" up to 3 times for it to work

The button highlights blue, but doesn't launch safari when I remove my finger

Thanks
    I just tried on my iP5 and could not get it to happen... Tried in every diagonal direction several times...

Thanks

I try 5 times and only happened to me once on my iPhone 5 iOS 6.0.1 but honestly an average everyday user won't ever run nor find this glitch. But as for devs this sucks.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mine does it and also on the slide to unlock, if you try doing that fast it will fail to slide the entire way across.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 Times in 916 Posts

Mine does it....crap!

Oh wait...maybe that means I can exchange it for a new one that's possibly unlocked!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by strongbad1905 View Post
    Mine does it and also on the slide to unlock, if you try doing that fast it will fail to slide the entire way across.
    Mine does too. A few times a day I'll go to unlock, but it won't unlock and the slider "sticks" to the right side instead of popping back to the left.

Thanks

Thats why i have an ipod touch 1g hehe.
    

Thanks

Yea Mine Does It Too But I'm Pretty Sure They're Gonna Fix It Wit A Later Update Like They Did The Keyboard Glitch Wit iOS 6.0.1 Update !!!

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PuertoRoc View Post
    Yea Mine Does It Too But I'm Pretty Sure They're Gonna Fix It Wit A Later Update Like They Did The Keyboard Glitch Wit iOS 6.0.1 Update !!!
    IF it's a software problem. If not, then that won't be happening that easily.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Duplicated on iPad mini just now. It was a bit tricky to find a large, vertical list in which I could try it.

I actually think this is some kind of feature to filter out noise or bad input.

[edit]
    I uploaded a video to YouTube that shows my iPad mini demonstrating the "issue."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5CTjn0O7Vk
    Last edited by Shigoroku; 11-09-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Would you expect anything less from Apple recently? They've dropped all quality control on everything and releasing IOS and devices with so many bugs its no wonder iPhone is losing to the Galaxy S3 now.

Looks like my predictions are coming true. Apple are shooting themselves in the foot and its showing. If they keep at it the way they are going in 5 years there will be no iPhones as they would go broke with all their crap they are doing to themselves.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,409 Times in 6,358 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Would you expect anything less from Apple recently? They've dropped all quality control on everything and releasing IOS and devices with so many bugs its no wonder iPhone is losing to the Galaxy S3 now.

Looks like my predictions are coming true. Apple are shooting themselves in the foot and its showing. If they keep at it the way they are going in 5 years there will be no iPhones as they would go broke with all their crap they are doing to themselves.
    Why is that you keep posting here? Ahhh it must be for your love of apple products.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post

Thats never going to happen

Thats never going to happen