+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile Casts Wider Net to Reach More iPhone Customers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default T-Mobile Casts Wider Net to Reach More iPhone Customers

T-Mobile may not officially carry the iPhone, but with unlocked devices populating the U.S. at ever-increasing proportions, it doesn't take much investigative work to read between the lines of T-Mobile latest advancements with regard to its 4G HSPA+ data networks.

In fact, the carrier is even referencing the iPhone by name in its announcement.

"Today Iím pleased to announce that Baltimore, Houston and Washington D.C. are the latest metro areas where T-Mobile customers can benefit from enhanced voice and data coverage, and faster speeds on unlocked devices, including the iPhone," says Neville Ray, Chief Technology Officer for T-Mobile USA.

"Our internal tests of unlocked iPhone 4S devices running over 4G (HSPA+) on our 1900 network recorded on average 70% faster download speeds than iPhone 4S devices on AT&ís network," Ray boasted in a clear effort to attract iPhone owners.

So even without being in the iPhone family, the carrier's $4 billion plan to transform its network to cutting-edge new standards is a clear indication that the iPhone remains important nonetheless to T-Mobile.

Source: T-Mobile

Thanks

Seriously can't wait. This is going to be so nice.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Very disperate move from TMo. Of course that network is fast right now because it's a clean network. Only testing phone are on it. By the time subscribers are on it, I hope they have the budget to expand.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,696 Times in 5,956 Posts

Here in the Phoenix, Arizona area T-mo has flipped the switch on too, so lovin' not having to deal with Edge anymore.

Thanks

Can't wait to have it in my area, I'm in Louisiana but when I go to Houston, only 2hrs away, I pick up a 3G signal...smh

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bisayakid07 View Post
    Very disperate move from TMo. Of course that network is fast right now because it's a clean network. Only testing phone are on it. By the time subscribers are on it, I hope they have the budget to expand.
    How is expanding your network so more of your costumers can use HSPA+ a desperate move? That's like saying Apple expanding it's market outside the US a desperate move.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Painkiller006 For This Useful Post:

Jj2345 (11-07-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

T-Mobile Casts Wider Net to Reach More iPhone Customers-photo2.png first test is wifi the rest are 3g here in nyc
    Last edited by Nyyankees; 11-07-2012 at 06:35 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    How is expanding your network so more of your costumers can use HSPA+ a desperate move? That's like saying Apple expanding it's market outside the US a desperate move.
    My point is TMo is so desperate to compare their network speed to At&t. TMo HSPA+ has only a few subs compared to At&t with thousands of users.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it's awesome that T-Mobile is doing this. Definitely something nice for those using unlocked phones that don't want to pay the AT&T/Verizon prices.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Correct me if am wrong cause i really dont know but.. Is the 4s even 4G compatible?
    I thought the iPhone 5 was the first mobile device built by apple to support 4G networks?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Correct me if am wrong cause i really dont know but.. Is the 4s even 4G compatible?
    I thought the iPhone 5 was the first mobile device built by apple to support 4G networks?
    not sure i have tmobile and when i had a 4s a few weeks ago it would roam into att and say 4g as well but it wouldnt let me do anything

iPhone? More like MyPhone jwil736's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    The HSPA+ was deemed 4G speeds although it really isn't. It runs on GSM networks only and ATT pushed apple to make a 4G icon for them because the are the only US company that officially supported the iPhone with HSPA.

LTE is still not true "4G" speeds but is marketed as such. The iPhone 5 is the first iPhone to support LTE.

Thanks

Can't wait for 3G in the Chicago suburbs area!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've been getting pretty frequent 3g here in Chicago the last week or so after seeing no signs of it over the last several months. Haven't had any blazing fast speeds (max was 5 megs, I think) but compared to Edge it's one hell of a treat. On the $5.99 t-zones plan? Unbeatable.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Had an original iPhone on Tmo. When I made the jump to the iPhone 4, I decided to ditch Tmo and go back to AT&T. Wow was that a mistake. Had to though - here in Houston, Tmo has only offered edge ntwk in iPhone spectrums until recently.

I think Tmo - with all the craptons of cash they've had thrown at them and with the acquisition of metroPCS (most advanced LTE ntwk in America), Tmo is about one year away from being the best ntwk.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwil736 View Post
    The HSPA+ was deemed 4G speeds although it really isn't. It runs on GSM networks only and ATT pushed apple to make a 4G icon for them because the are the only US company that officially supported the iPhone with HSPA.

LTE is still not true "4G" speeds but is marketed as such. The iPhone 5 is the first iPhone to support LTE.
    I think you meant "HSPA+ is still not true 4G speeds but is marketed as such". LTE is true 4G speeds and the only iPhone with LTE connectivity is the iPhone 5.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony9592 View Post
    Can't wait for 3G in the Chicago suburbs area!
    I just switched to the tmobile pre paid.
    50$ unlimited everything (yes edge sucks). I also live in the Chicago area and last week traveling by ohare airport, my edge signal went to 3G. I should have tested it out but didn't think about it. Turns out a couple of other people noticed the same thing in different parts of the city when I was asking around.

Maybe not so far off for use Chicago area users.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jwil736's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    I think you meant "HSPA+ is still not true 4G speeds but is marketed as such". LTE is true 4G speeds and the only iPhone with LTE connectivity is the iPhone 5.
    No even LTE is not true 4G. The definition of 4G was dumbed down 3 years ago. 100Mb/s is 4G.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Wth???
    Quote Originally Posted by jwil736 View Post

"HSPA+ runs on GSM network?????" Clearly you have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about... and people reading this should totally ignore your comments...

I'm not even going to begin on how wrong you are and justify educating you...

But for all others- HSPA+ runs in a COMPLETELY different network (WCDMA in Tmos case to be exact) and the speeds are MUCH MUCH more that ALL other networks INCLUDING most LTE networks in the nation... (Don't believe me? - look at NON-BIAS organizations like Consumer Reports, and industry experts like Cnet, PCWorld, etc, etc...)
    The other side to this and where everybody else BUT Tmo is the back haul network that Tmo has that NO other, and I mean NO other, network can compare... When Tmo LTE network comes out it WILL be more than 3x faster than the top network today-Verizon!!! so look for it in a city near you by mid 2013...

And that my friend is how the cookie crumbles...!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,024 Times in 4,530 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iPhonePilot View Post
    "HSPA+ runs on GSM network?????" Clearly you have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about... and people reading this should totally ignore your comments...

I'm not even going to begin on how wrong you are and justify educating you...

But for all others- HSPA+ runs in a COMPLETELY different network (WCDMA in Tmos case to be exact) and the speeds are MUCH MUCH more that ALL other networks INCLUDING most LTE networks in the nation... (Don't believe me? - look at NON-BIAS organizations like Consumer Reports, and industry experts like Cnet, PCWorld, etc, etc...)
    The other side to this and where everybody else BUT Tmo is the back haul network that Tmo has that NO other, and I mean NO other, network can compare... When Tmo LTE network comes out it WILL be more than 3x faster than the top network today-Verizon!!! so look for it in a city near you by mid 2013...

And that my friend is how the cookie crumbles...!!!
    Not so fast. You're running rough and shoddy with your facts there. Riddle me this. Why does AT&T on their tech pages refer to their current (non LTE) 4G as being HSPA+? AT&T uses a GSM carrier type. It's right there in black & white, dude!
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!