+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Invoke Google Now From Anywhere With 'NowNow'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Chances are you don’t have Siri on your iPhone 4, iPod touch 4G, or iPhone 3GS. There are Siri ports, but most of the services cost money that you might
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

Default Invoke Google Now From Anywhere With 'NowNow'

Chances are you don’t have Siri on your iPhone 4, iPod touch 4G, or iPhone 3GS. There are Siri ports, but most of the services cost money that you might not be willing to pay. If you want voice assistant functionality for free, then you may have turned to Google’s new Google Search application, which includes a version of Google Now that can be used to search the Web through the Google Search app even on these older iOS devices that don't have Siri.

One problem with this application is that you have to launch the application to use the voice assistant feature. A new free jailbreak tweak dubbed NowNow by iOS developer Nick Frey allows you to set an Activator action in order to launch the Google Search application and load up the Google Now voice assistant. This will make it behave more like Siri on iPhone 4S and newer devices that support Siri.

When you install NowNow, just head over to the Settings application and you’ll be able to choose your Activator action. If you want to simulate Siri, we recommend using the hold home button Activator action, since this is how you launch Siri on a Siri-enabled device. You can, however, use any Activator action that you wish to.

If you have the Google Search application suspended in the iOS device’s memory, then you will get an almost instant response from the Activator action. If you don’t have the Google Search application open already, you will see the application open when you invoke the Activator action and then the voice assistant will load up. This is something to keep in mind if you want it to be nice and quick. You may be able to work around this by never closing out of the Google Search application from the app switcher when you close out of other apps. Even if you are waiting for the app to load, it really doesn't take too long.

As a free tweak attempting to make do with what is made available, NowNow is a nice little workaround for non-Siri devices. If you like Google’s new Google Search application and you want quick access to the voice feature, then check out NowNow!

Name: NowNow
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: Google Search app must be installed
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Nick Frey
    Editor's Rating:  4/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-06-2012 at 10:16 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jj2345's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah I downloaded it few hours ago and it's cool.i even installed it on my moms iphone 4

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Awesome!

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

Name: NowNow
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: Google Search app must be installed
    Repo: BigGoss
    Developer: Nick Frey
    Editor's Rating:  4/5
    It says BigGoss. Did you mean BigBoss?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This works really well. Definitely part of my must have jailbreak tweaks.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Thanks for this Anthony. This is one of the best jailbreak tweaks I've seen in a while!
    It's a shame those poor iPhone 5 owners can't use this - it could come in handy when their maps app gets them lost :-)
    Last edited by csglinux; 11-07-2012 at 11:45 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jj2345's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    Thanks for this Anthony. This is one of the best jailbreak tweaks I've seen in a while!
    It's a shame those poor iPhone 5 owners can't use this - it could come in handy when their maps app gets them lost :-)
    Lol
    Eff you man!!