+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple's Lightning to USB Adapter Now Available

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
For those of you that have any of Apple’s newer iOS devices with the Lightning connector rather than the dated 30-pin connector, Apple has just made available today their new
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,162
    Thanks
    226
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

    Default Apple's Lightning to USB Adapter Now Available


    For those of you that have any of Apple’s newer iOS devices with the Lightning connector rather than the dated 30-pin connector, Apple has just made available today their new Lightning to Micro USB adapter.

    According to the device description on Apple's Web site, the adapter can be used with any of your existing Micro USB cables in order to charge your Lightning connector-ready iOS devices or to sync them with iTunes on your computer.

    The Lightning to Micro USB adapter will set you back $19, which may be a little high for most people’s tastes. Especially when considering that Apple sells the actual Lightning to USB cable for $19. The good news is the adapter will be available to ship in just 1 to 3 business days.

    The size of the adapter is quite small, not being much larger than the Lightning connector itself. This might end up making the new adapter very easy to lose if you're not careful with it.

    Sources: Apple

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

    zplit (11-02-2012)

  3. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    231
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    So what's the purpose of this adaptor??
    I thought everyone wanted an adaptor so they can use there new idevice with older apple USB cables?
    So for those who want this but don't have the micro USB cable now have to buy the micro USB cable as well.

  4. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 39 Times in 21 Posts

    Cute

  5. #4
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    So what's the purpose of this adaptor??
    I thought everyone wanted an adaptor so they can use there new idevice with older apple USB cables?
    So for those who want this but don't have the micro USB cable now have to buy the micro USB cable as well.
    Most android devices have micro USB, a lot of android users come to iPhone. Also I have 3 microusb cables but only 1 lightning cable.

  6. #5
    Super Duper Moderator blkcadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
     Valley of the Sun, ARIZONA ♥♥♥
    Posts
    30,697
    Thanks
    3,770
    Thanked 9,708 Times in 5,963 Posts

    $19 for cable, $19 for adapter...huh?

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

    bubble.tea (11-02-2012)

  8. #6
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Well I'd rather buy the adapter than a the actual cable. If the cable breaks I'd rather replace a cheap micro USB than the lightening cable!

  9. #7
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    231
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by xzero View Post
    Most android devices have micro USB, a lot of android users come to iPhone. Also I have 3 microusb cables but only 1 lightning cable.
    Well ok that I could understand but honestly I I thought it was suppose an adapter so we could use are old apple cables with the new lighting connection?
    I mean cause I got rid of my old iPhone 4 and got the new i5 and I have about 4 old cables (wall charger,laptop,living room, car) I was hoping for an adapter that will allow me to still be able to use all these cables I don't want to have to go out and by so many cables again or keep unplugging and taking the cable with me every where i go cause that's a hassle some times..

  10. #8
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,162
    Thanks
    226
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Well ok that I could understand but honestly I I thought it was suppose an adapter so we could use are old apple cables with the new lighting connection?
    I mean cause I got rid of my old iPhone 4 and got the new i5 and I have about 4 old cables (wall charger,laptop,living room, car) I was hoping for an adapter that will allow me to still be able to use all these cables I don't want to have to go out and by so many cables again or keep unplugging and taking the cable with me every where i go cause that's a hassle some times..
    The lightning to 30-pin connector adapter is actually a separate adapter that has been out for some time now.

  11. #9
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    231
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    The lightning to 30-pin connector adapter is actually a separate adapter that has been out for some time now.
    Really I did not know that... I need one.

  12. #10
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,162
    Thanks
    226
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Really I did not know that... I need one.
    Here you go: link.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

    zeroskater61 (11-02-2012)

  14. #11
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Right here...Turn around :)
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    $19 for cable, $19 for adapter...huh?
    Couldn't agree more.

    I'll just buy another cable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Here you go: link.
    ouch., $29???

    No love I doubt this will work on my chargemat (induction charger stand thingy) base that holds the 4S upright while charging. May be too much stress on that miniscule lightningplug wafer chip....sigh....growing pains .
    2G>3G (suffered with Zagg Applications on the back curvature LOL)>3GS>4(relished in the flat surfaces, facilitating the application of Zagg)>4S(bumper, then only Zagg, 3 drops total lol)>
    iPhone 5, currently still in stasis, as I can't restore my years of SMS db's., so not sure what to do. Oh and the fact that I can't enjoy my Uber JB'd Tweaked up the Yizzo 4S, is really making this conversion difficult .

  15. #12
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CByrdie View Post
    Well I'd rather buy the adapter than a the actual cable. If the cable breaks I'd rather replace a cheap micro USB than the lightening cable!
    True. Most of my iPod cables wears out really easy.

  16. #13
    iPhoneaholic Norb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mountain View, California
    Posts
    407
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 51 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    So what's the purpose of this adaptor??
    I thought everyone wanted an adaptor so they can use there new idevice with older apple USB cables?
    So for those who want this but don't have the micro USB cable now have to buy the micro USB cable as well.
    Hear me out now... I know it's by Apple and I know we like Apple products hence the site modmyi... Stay with me here though, it gets very complicated. OK here goes...

    You don't need it? You don't like it? Doesn't benefit you? DON'T BUY IT.

    Now I know that can take some time to sink in but I think with practice and discipline you might be able to get this down.

  17. #14
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,635
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    So what's the purpose of this adaptor??
    I thought everyone wanted an adaptor so they can use there new idevice with older apple USB cables?
    So for those who want this but don't have the micro USB cable now have to buy the micro USB cable as well.
    Why in the hell would you buy an adapter for a micro USB if you don't own a micro USB??

    Come on man use your brain

  18. #15
    iPhoneaholic manickbarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    305
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 38 Times in 19 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    So what's the purpose of this adaptor??
    I thought everyone wanted an adaptor so they can use there new idevice with older apple USB cables?
    So for those who want this but don't have the micro USB cable now have to buy the micro USB cable as well.
    That's just made my day Pmsl thanks fella

    I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

  19. #16
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Apple website: "Use this intelligent and ultracompact adapter to connect your ..."
    I fail to see the intelligence behind creating a new connector that has the same size as the already standardized micro USB. All I see is Apple's greed to squeeze $30 more for an useless adapter.
    Dear Apple, its things like this will make you fall.

  20. #17
    King Theme-aling subywrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,635
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ATBsky View Post
    Apple website: "Use this intelligent and ultracompact adapter to connect your ..."
    I fail to see the intelligence behind creating a new connector that has the same size as the already standardized micro USB. All I see is Apple's greed to squeeze $30 more for an useless adapter.
    Dear Apple, its things like this will make you fall.
    It's statements like this that show your ignorance. I hardly see how making a 2nd adapter (keeping in mind they already have a 30pin to lightning adapter) so that you can utilize any other cords or chargers you have laying around.

  21. #18
    Green Apple badmannie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    The reason there is a lightning to USB adapter is for us Europeans as there is European ruling that wants a universal charger standard.

    Qoute
    "According to the EU, a common external power supply / "charger" standard is desirable because,

    "Incompatibility of chargers for mobile phones is a major environmental problem and an inconvenience for users across the European Union. Currently specific chargers are sold together with specific mobile phones. A user who wants to change his/her mobile phone must usually acquire a new charger and dispose the current one, even if this is in perfect condition. This unnecessarily generates important amounts of electronic waste. ...Harmonising mobile phone chargers will bring significant economic and environmental benefits. ...Consumers will not need to buy a new charger together with every mobile phone,...""

  22. #19
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    592
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 49 Times in 34 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by badmannie View Post
    The reason there is a lightning to USB adapter is for us Europeans as there is European ruling that wants a universal charger standard.

    Qoute
    "According to the EU, a common external power supply / "charger" standard is desirable because,

    "Incompatibility of chargers for mobile phones is a major environmental problem and an inconvenience for users across the European Union. Currently specific chargers are sold together with specific mobile phones. A user who wants to change his/her mobile phone must usually acquire a new charger and dispose the current one, even if this is in perfect condition. This unnecessarily generates important amounts of electronic waste. ...Harmonising mobile phone chargers will bring significant economic and environmental benefits. ...Consumers will not need to buy a new charger together with every mobile phone,...""
    Lol! Man, I must admit....being a American, i do envy Europeans simplistic, perfectly logical way of thought. Everything about the above statement makes perfect sense, 100%. I'm sure Republicans would claim something along the lines of "This proposal would take jobs away from hardworking Americans by hurting companies profits. Furthermore, every American is born with the freedom and right to decide for themselves which product they wish to purchase. Forcing your average "Joe the plumber" to buy a certain type of charger is not only unconstitutional....it's just downright un-American!"


    Sent from my iPad using ModMyi app. #SF GIANTS 2012 World Champions!!
    El Zurdo

  23. #20
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacandaga Lake
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by badmannie View Post
    The reason there is a lightning to USB adapter is for us Europeans as there is European ruling that wants a universal charger standard.

    Qoute
    "According to the EU, a common external power supply / "charger" standard is desirable because,

    "Incompatibility of chargers for mobile phones is a major environmental problem and an inconvenience for users across the European Union. Currently specific chargers are sold together with specific mobile phones. A user who wants to change his/her mobile phone must usually acquire a new charger and dispose the current one, even if this is in perfect condition. This unnecessarily generates important amounts of electronic waste. ...Harmonising mobile phone chargers will bring significant economic and environmental benefits. ...Consumers will not need to buy a new charger together with every mobile phone,...""
    Which makes me curious! Doesn't EVERY mobile phone come with a new charger anyway?? Do you have the option in Europe to NOT get a new charger with a new phone? Dont get me wrong I like the new ruling. I have a large drawer full of old useless proprietary chargers. It would be nice to be able to just reuse them instead of buying extras for the office etc.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts